If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子
After we finished visited Yu Yuan garden and tried that famous Nanxiang steamed dumplings, we walked back to our hotel (just nearby) through a back lane..While walking back, we spotted a simple Jiaozi (dumplings) shop and we decided to give a try since we were not so satisfied with Nanxing dumplings. We were so happy after tasted their Jiaozi, it was so fresh and yummy.


Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


Eventhough the dumpling's skin still quite thick, but we wouldn't taste the raw flour taste if compare to Nanxing's dumplings, i guess this is due to their method is boiling the dumplings but not steamed the dumplings. The skin taste like mee hoon ker (hand pulled noodles) that usually i like to cook. I started to appreciate thick skin of dumplings..

Picnik collage



This "Tai So" is so kind and humble, and i have few chats with her, and she even taught me how to make dumpling.

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


After came back, i immediate try to make Jiaozi, and my family just love it.

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


I made two flavours, one with chive & tofu, another meat with cabbage.

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


so simple to make Jiaozi, no pleating is needed, everyone can make this at home.

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


Dip with this type of vinegar.

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子


Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 50pcs pork and cabbage dumplings and 36pcs of chives and tofu dumplings

Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子Pork and Cabbage filling
500g minced pork
100g cooked Chinese cabbage (blanch in hot water to soften, squeeze as much as water possible), chopped
1tbsp minced young ginger
1tbsp light soy sauce
1tbsp sugar
1tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 and 1/2tsp salt or taste
A dash Pepper
4tbsp water/stock
1. Mix all above ingredients and seasonings and stir well with a pair of chopsticks till sticky. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.

Chives and tofu filling
300g chives, chopped
80g carrot, chopped
1 and ½ pcs firm tofu, chopped
1tps salt or to taste
1tsp chicken stock powder
1tbsp light soy sauce
1. Heat 2tbsp cooking oil in a pan, add chives, carrot and tofu, stir fry well.
2. Add in seasonings, stir fry till dry. Dish out and set aside to cool

Dumpling dough
500g all purpose flour
250g High protein flour/bread flour
380ml water
1. Mix flour with water and knead until smooth dough, set aside to rest for 1hr.

To make dumpling
1. Weight appx. 10g each dough and use a rolling pin to flatten it until it becomes a round skin.
2. Put a small spoonful of filling into the center of the skin and seal it up tightly with your fingers.
3. Heat up two pot of hot water until it boils. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water and immediate to stir to make sure dumplings not stick together.
4. As soon as the dumplings start to float (meaning they are cooked), transfer to another pot of hot water, continue to cook for 1-2mins.
5. Dish them out on a serving plate. Serve hot with vinegar and chopped garlic or ginger.

** you may only boil one pot of water if you just prepare a small amount of dumplings.




Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子

41 comments:

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I am drooling . U made such big portion!

Simplyfood said...

These loom really tasty.

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

wow! Sonia, I want to eat!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Ohh dipping into the vinegar is key! I love dumplings, a dozen of them no problem , heehee. Thanks for sharing this, will try them over a weekend.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

My friend is very good at making this, if she make, i one round can eat a lot, keke...

Wendy的记事本 said...

I love dumpling, and use to make ball shape mi hun ker, hahaha.....
My mother hate it so much as she prefer the thin mi hun ker.
Thank you for your sharing, I would like to try the mince pork with cabbage one^^

shaz said...

Looks lovely :) thanks for sharing sonia.

Unknown said...

Your dumplings look very delicious! Will make some for my family. Thanks for sharing.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我两种口味的都喜欢^^

Mel said...

Wow, lovely dumplings you have made! I can eat a dozen as a meal!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

after having too much of heaty and spicy food at thailand, really miss these type of insipid food...

Min said...

Sonia, I love your dumplings, they look so yummy! I think I have to learn to make dumplings also, because my family members love this, thanks for sharing the recipe!

cookingvarieties said...

wonder if it is easy to make dumplings- i guess it depends very much in the fillings and the skin

Rachana said...

Love the dumplings you made. Yum!

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Sometimes the lesser-known shop makes better food. Yours looks marvellous. Well done!

Jeannie said...

Your dumplings sure looks good, I think I would prefer the meat ones:D

Bo said...

Your dumplings look delicious...I've never tried making them myself.

yummylittlecooks said...

I love both fillings :)served with vinegar,soy sauce,sesame oil and lots of chopped ginger...hehehe...drooling now!!

Sherleen.T said...

i am the fan of dumplings, sonia...you make me drooling here
dipping the dumplings in vinegar + ginger = 绝配,haha...

Yee Er said...

I think china ppl appreciate jiaozi more than us here. They even eat jiaozi on chinese new year eve..

Ue jiaozi look delicious, wish i have the chance to try.

Little Corner of Mine said...

I should try making it from homemade dough too.

Anonymous said...

I have a girlfriend Fiona who comes from Shanghai and she amkes these dumplings and sometimes for me to take home and freeze them.To have them when I crave as they are fantasticly delicious :))

Lori said...

The dumplings look amazing! I've made a homemade dough before and loved it. I wish dumplings could be more of a staple in my diet in the US as they are in other cultures. One of my very favorite foods!

Amelia said...

Your dumplings look really good, I'm drooling liao.

Torviewtoronto said...

presentation looks wonderful

choi yen said...

I love dumpling skin with some thickness, love the flour-ly taste :P

Pushpa said...

My son loves dumplings on our recent visit to Hong Kong bingen on them.Looks delicious.

StillTraveller said...

Great post! I'm going to have to try this recipe soon!

daphne said...

yum!! I love jiao ji because it's so much fun wrapping them. You are so generous with your filling! I wish i can have them for supper now!

ann low said...

I'm drooling too as I love jiaozhi very much!!

Gloria Baker said...

Son ia I love dumplings, gloria

divya said...

Looks excellent and fabulous..

My Little Space said...

So syok that you've learned all the jiaozi tips from the chef herself. ha... great job as well.
Have a great day ahead!
Kristy

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I am making these for Chinese new year! Yours look so perfect!

Angie's Recipes said...

Going to make some Jiaozi soon! Those look so tasty!

Unknown said...

WOW that looks SO Awesome

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Yours look same or even better than ones you had in China! These are my kids favorite and I'm admiring you for making the skin from scratch!

lena said...

i'm not sure if i like the thick type of dumpling skin but sure this looks wonderful to me!

Anonymous said...

◙  I'll want that. I will eat it all. You are so lucky to be in the other country to learn the way of it. You make me hungry now on!  ◙

Floppy Ears said...

HI just curious, is it possible to freeze these dumpling for later use? I made too much ^^ if no, how long can i store in the refrigerator? thanks

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

Those look so tasty!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin