After we finished visited Yu Yuan garden and tried that famous Nanxiang steamed dumplings, we walked back to our hotel (just nearby) through a back lane..While walking back, we spotted a simple Jiaozi (dumplings) shop and we decided to give a try since we were not so satisfied with Nanxing dumplings. We were so happy after tasted their Jiaozi, it was so fresh and yummy.
Eventhough the dumpling's skin still quite thick, but we wouldn't taste the raw flour taste if compare to Nanxing's dumplings, i guess this is due to their method is boiling the dumplings but not steamed the dumplings. The skin taste like mee hoon ker (hand pulled noodles) that usually i like to cook. I started to appreciate thick skin of dumplings..
This "Tai So" is so kind and humble, and i have few chats with her, and she even taught me how to make dumpling.
After came back, i immediate try to make Jiaozi, and my family just love it.
I made two flavours, one with chive & tofu, another meat with cabbage.
so simple to make Jiaozi, no pleating is needed, everyone can make this at home.
Dip with this type of vinegar.
Shanghai Jiaozi (Dumplings) 饺子
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 50pcs pork and cabbage dumplings and 36pcs of chives and tofu dumplings
Pork and Cabbage filling
500g minced pork
100g cooked Chinese cabbage (blanch in hot water to soften, squeeze as much as water possible), chopped
1tbsp minced young ginger
1tbsp light soy sauce
1tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 and 1/2tsp salt or taste
A dash Pepper
1. Mix all above ingredients and seasonings and stir well with a pair of chopsticks till sticky. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
Chives and tofu filling
300g chives, chopped
80g carrot, chopped
1 and ½ pcs firm tofu, chopped
1tps salt or to taste
1tsp chicken stock powder
1tbsp light soy sauce
1. Heat 2tbsp cooking oil in a pan, add chives, carrot and tofu, stir fry well.
2. Add in seasonings, stir fry till dry. Dish out and set aside to cool
500g all purpose flour
250g High protein flour/bread flour
1. Mix flour with water and knead until smooth dough, set aside to rest for 1hr.
To make dumpling
1. Weight appx. 10g each dough and use a rolling pin to flatten it until it becomes a round skin.
2. Put a small spoonful of filling into the center of the skin and seal it up tightly with your fingers.
3. Heat up two pot of hot water until it boils. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water and immediate to stir to make sure dumplings not stick together.
4. As soon as the dumplings start to float (meaning they are cooked), transfer to another pot of hot water, continue to cook for 1-2mins.
5. Dish them out on a serving plate. Serve hot with vinegar and chopped garlic or ginger.
** you may only boil one pot of water if you just prepare a small amount of dumplings.