I attended a free cooking class few months back which was organized by the housing developer in my area, quite often they have this kind of free cooking class for residents (we can also bring friends along)..That class i attended was conducted by the Malaysia's celebrity chef Florence Tan.
She's a fabulous teacher because in no time, we've learned how to make prawn and pineapple curry, Nyonya salad and Hainanese rice ^^and she is humorous by telling us a lot of jokes. That was a fun cooking class and I enjoyed a lot of her yummy dishes.
I would like to share with you this Nyonya Prawns and Pineapple curry that i learnt in this class. Let me tell you this curry is very yummy, love the tangy and sweet curry..
Nyonya Prawns and Pineapple Curry
Recipe source: adapted from Florence Tan's cooking class
550g big prawns, cleaned feelers only and leave shell on
250g pineapple, cut in triangle
5tbsp cooking oil
1 tamarind peel
4 pcs kaffir lime leaves
10 dried chilies, soaked well ( I use 2tbsp of homemade chili paste)
3 candlenuts, 1" fresh turmeric
1” blue ginger (galangal)
2 stalks lemon grass
1” cube of shrimp paste (Belacan)
200ml thick coconut milk
1tsp salt or to taste
1tbsp sugar or to taste
1. Heat oil in a wok and sauté pounded ingredients until fragrant.
2. Add in pineapples, cook for few minutes then add in sugar.
3. Continue cook for 3-5mins and add in tamarind peel.
4. Pour in water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15mins.
5. Increase heat and add in prawns, seasonings and kaffir lime leaves.
6. Bring to boil, pour in coconut milk, leave to boil for few minutes or gravy thickened.
7. Dish out and serve with steamed white rice.