The other day i saw this recipe published in newspaper, sound yummy and healthy. If i want to buy the real unagi, it is very expensive. So i have no doubt immediately try out this cheap version of vegetarian unagi. The taste was nothing close to real unagi but this is a dish that worth to try out, yummy!
I topped this vegetarian unagi with this Sakura sesame sprinkles i bought from Osaka instead the normal sesame seeds. So cute to see the little sakura flower spinkle..
There were quite many steps to prepare this vegetarian dish! Ya, try to make the pickle sour cucumber to enjoy with this a bit sweet dish.
Vegetarian Japanese Unagi
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
4tbsp tapioca flour
3pcs fresh firm tofu
Seasonings for sauce (B)
4tbsp Japanese soy sauce
1 cup water
1. Steam potato slices till soft, mash it with a fork, add in seasonings (A) and combine well.
2. Slice one firm tofu into 6 equal slices and repeat for the rest.
3. Dip tofu into tapioca water (1tsbp tapioca flour + 2tbsp water), spoon mashed potato and spread on top of the tofu, set aside.
4. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, pan fry the tofu (tofu side down first) till golden brown.
5. Cook seasonings for sauce (B) till boiled, put in fried tofu (tofu side down first), cook for few minutes, top a slice of Nori seaweed (cut to the same size of tofu) on top. Upside down the tofu, sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on top. Reserve the gravy after cooked. Pour gravy on the Vegetarian unagi.
6. Serve hot with pickled Japanese cucumbers and rice.
Side dish-pickled Japanese cucumber
Slice 2 cucumbers into thin slices, add 2tbsp sugar, 2tbsp white vinegar and a pinch salt, marinate for several hours. Discard the marinated water before serve.