If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beef Rendang, Encore!

Yesterday i saw an advertisement in paper by a local Kopitiam (cafe) lauching for their Ramadan (Muslim fasting month) meal, their beef rendang look so yummy..I immediately went to pasar (wet market ) to buy all ingredients and cook this beef rendang meal (served with yellow turmeric rice ) the same day..



IMG_5369 copy

This time, i further enhance the taste by increasing the amount of the herbs used and also replaced white sugar with gula melaka (palm sugar) from the old recipe. I simply love to eat the fragrant herbs mixture after cooked..

IMG_5338 copy

A good rendang can't leave without kerisik (toasted coconut) . This time i also prepared more kerisik and store the balance in the fridge for later use..Stir fry coconut over low heat for about 20mins..

kerisik


IMG_5363 copy




Beef Rendang (1)
(recipe source : by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)


1kg beef cubes


Spice ingredients
150g shallots
15g garlic
15g blue ginger (lengkuas or galangal)
10g ginger
15g dried chili, boiled in hot water for 5mins and de-seeded
5pcs buah keras (candlenuts)
3 lemongrass, take white part only


25g turmeric leaves (3pcs), shredded finely
2 stalks of kaffir lime leaves, torn the leaf
2 lemongrass, pounded and torn finely
1pc tamarind peel (assam keping) ,small


1 and ½ cup water or adjust accordingly
1 and ½ cup coconut milk or adjust accordingly
50g kerisik (toasted coconut)
5 tbsp cooking oil


50g gula melaka (palm sugar) or to taste ( it depend on the sourness from the tamarind peel, so adjust accordingly)
2tsp salt salt or taste


Method
1. Blend spice ingredients till smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok, add spice paste and sauté till aroma.
3. Add in beef cube, turmeric leaves, tamarind peel, pounded lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, mix well. Add in water, stir to blend well.
5. Add in 1tsp salt, and simmer the mixture over low heat for several hours till beef tendered, add water if mixture turn dry and stir fry from time to time. Or you can use pressure cooker, once 2nd ring rise, turn heat to low, and cook for 30mins.
6. Add in kerisik and coconut milk, cook till gravy thicken.
7. Seasoning with balance salt and gula melaka, adjust taste accordingly. Stir fry till dry.
8. Serve with nasi lemak, or ketupat or steamed yellow turmeric rice.



beef rendang

IMG_5374 copy

IMG_5372 copy

If you can't take beef, you may like to check out the chicken rendang here..


I am submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysia Monday ..


58 comments:

Yannie said...

This is the best as the Muslim's Buka Puasa meal. Now I learn how to toast the grated coconut. Thanks Sonia.

Joceline Lor said...

我hor。。。。。。带来了3层的food carrier,我想应该够装吧?哈哈哈。。。。。
Sonia。。请问你,那个牛肉要那个部分的肉比较好吃。因为有时候吃到的肉很硬。谢谢。

Joceline Lor said...

我hor。。。。。。带来了3层的food carrier,我想应该够装吧?哈哈哈。。。。。
Sonia。。请问你,那个牛肉要那个部分的肉比较好吃。因为有时候吃到的肉很硬。谢谢。

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

joceline, sorry, i am not sure which part actually, usually i told the seller i want the beef to cook rendang. This time i bought imported beef from India which cost me RM 15/kg. Actually it is ok to use tough part because you need to cook several hours till the meat is tendered. I use pressue cooker for speedy version.

Mel said...

Slurp...... I'm gonna cook this one day! Yours really look so delicious. It taste more delicious the next day, right?

Unknown said...

牛肉Rendang是我的最爱。。
不过不会煮,因为不会买牛肉又怕煮的不好,所以还是拿个碗来装回家比较容易。。。嘻嘻!

Li Shuan said...

haiyo...super great dish... I want to see whether I can find tumeric leaves here or not. Must learn this! (Today I cook your 烧肉again using your five spice powder. I love the five spice powder, because it give better colour and fragrant to the meat).Thanks again

Bart said...

Nice post!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我带我昨天的rendang鸡肉和你交换
大王喜欢吃牛肉:)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

yummy yummy!!!

Ana Regalado said...

That dish looks utterly scrumptious ! It's one of my fave dish though haven't got the nerve to make it :P :D I just go to Toastbox if I got some hankering for that tasty dish :D

Unknown said...

I seldom take beef but I like your 'rendang' spices. Sure nice to go with chicken too.

Bakericious said...

I love to eat rendang, yours look really tempting and delicious, perfect to pair with turmeric rice.

PH said...

Your rendang really looks so good. Now I also want to cook beef rendang.

Cheah said...

Gosh, your rendang looks so appetising....salivating!

ccm said...

dear sonia,

I bought imported beef from india too last saturday but it cost RM 16 perkilo here in JB.
I will having my encore again this saturday but in rendang ayam,i bought 6 lemang already.

Little blue said...

Yummy and nice~can reserve some for me!!

daphne said...

oh yum!! u made it look easy to do it!! I can smell the coconut from here.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

wow sonia, i wish u are just stay nearby and to include u as and when we have gathering, u are really a great cook.

QembarDelites said...

That is my favorite ramadan dish, I always buy this to eat with lemang. Thinking about it makes me want to eat it again.

ICook4Fun said...

My all time favourite Malay dish. There look delicious!!! Ya, you need all the berbs to make good rendang. I tried planting kunyit here but it is not growing this year :(

Mary Grace said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joceline Lor said...

Thanks Sonia. I have pressure cooker too. Will consider to use it for this cook. :) :)

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I love beef rendang. Too bad my husband and MIL are not taking beef.

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Wow!!! Rendang is my famous whn i go visit mamak!!! rendang chicken.. beef.... Kill me on tis puasa festival~~ cz i m rendang lover!!!! XD yummy~~

doreenloo said...

that looks so yummy... must try it one day too...

irene myme said...

ohh...i love rendang too but nowadays can't find good ones in S'pore.
Yours look super delicious, will defintely cook it somedays.
Thanks for sharing. ^O^

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

The rendang looks delicious but I don't eat beef, I can only appreciate. This is the 2nd time I heard of kerisik!

Gloria Baker said...

look amazing!

Nymphadora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nymphadora said...

your rendang looks delicious!

kym said...

recently many ppl cook beef rendang leh... make me also want to eat liao... cook no pandai but da bao very pandai for me... kakakaka

Artsylicious said...

wow! I love your rendang!! thanks for sharing. Many time I'm thinking to cook rendang but the absence of fresh grated coconut has always put me off. :(

Little Corner of Mine said...

Delicious and fragrant!

Casey said...

wow....your rendang beef looks really delicious!
i olso dunno how to cook, so when i want to eat, will buy from mamak or malay stalls.

3 hungry tummies said...

Oh I want some of the rendang now Sonia! May I use it for the MMM roundup?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

3 hungry tummies, yes, of course, i always forgot to submit to MMM or sometime too lazy to prepare email and send to you, hehehe..So i will put a MMM submission in this post.

The Experimental Cook said...

Your rendang looks seriously delicious - my mouth's watering already. With the yellow rice presented this way, it's good for a restaurant!

Veronica said...

Sonia, your rendang looks delicious. Look at the beautiful colour of your nasi kunyit. I've never cook with tumeric leaves before. Do they have the same fragrance as the tumeric root?

Anonymous said...

hi sonia,
ur rendang dagang looks delicious, do u know how to cook 野猪肉 can we cook in the same manner as beef. from klang Tan. TQ

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Klang Tan, yes, you can cook with 野猪肉 this way too..

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Veronica, turmeric leaf smell is not as strong as turmeric root, i like the fragrant from this leaf. If a Rendang without turmeric leaf, sure taste not as authentic.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Thanks for your kind words on my posts Sonia. I've heard and seen this dish many times on food blogs and it's my dream to eat it. Some ingredients are hard to get here (who knows maybe I can) but I wish to eat this one day!! Looks delicious!

Small Kucing said...

looks too cmplicated for me to cook. but ca i tumpang makan at your place ah? LOL *skin as thick as China Wall*

susanyee said...

mmm.i love rendang so much !!^^

hanushi said...

So bright and warm colours!! This dish is so appealing and appetizing.

Angie's Recipes said...

So appetizing and yummy!

lena said...

looks really good tho i hardly take beef..but a few pieces of this will still do me fine!

Quay Po Cooks said...

The last time I cooked rendang beef was in the states. Time to cook it again. Your rendang looks awesome. Looking forward to see you soon.

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks so good. I'm going to have to if it a try.

eileen@hundred eighty degrees said...

This dish has the advertising value! Sonia, great shot and yummy looking!

yvonne said...

Gosh!! This dish is so mouthwatering!! I love a good beef rendang, can easily take 2 bowls of rice.

*there goes my diet plan*

mui mui said...

Hi Sonia,
I love Beef Rendang. Yours sure look delicious.
So this is how you prepare your kerisik. Thanks for sharing this, I will also prepare my own kerisik in future.

Lori said...

This is a dish I've heard of, but I don't think I've had it before. It sounds so good, and I love the shot of all the ingredients!

Shu Han said...

BEEF RENDANG!! omg I can totally go for this, will take extra (turmeric) rice please! (I really love turmeric rice, not just the colour but the taste!) So will you say this new recipe is better than the old one? Just thinking of making some this week and wndering which recipe to try!

Kelly Siew said...

Oh Gosh, this is giving me a huge craving for Rendang with Lemang!! Need to make need to make!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Shu Han, yes, try this new recipe which have more herbs .

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

This looks so good. I'm going to have to if it a try...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin