Thursday, August 25, 2011
Today i cooked Beef Rendang and serve with my favourite Ketupat daun palas(It is made from glutinous rice that has been wrapped in a woven fan palm (Licuala) pouch and boiled). Now is the best time to cook these dishes as the local wet warket is flooded with all herbs and ketupat leaves since Hari Raya (Muslim festival) is just around the corner.
I even made Kerisik (toasted coconut) from the scratch..just fry fresh coconut in a pan (without oil) till fragrant and golden brown..
This time I use pressure cooker to cook this rendang, quick and save time. Thanks to my SIL Annie given me this good gift.
(recipe source : by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
600g beef cubes
1 turmeric leave, shredded finely
6 kaffir lime leaves, torn few pieces
3 lemongrass, pounded and torn
1 and ½ cup coconut milk
1pc tamarind peel
7tbsp kerisik (toasted coconut)
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 big onion
2" fresh turmeric
small piece of galangal (blue ginger)
3 lemongrass (white part only)
2tbsp homemade chili paste or 15pcs dried chilies (boiled in hot water and de-seeded)
2tbsp palm sugar or to taste
1 and 1/2tsp salt or taste
1. Blend spice ingredients till smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker/pot, add spice paste and sauté till aroma.
3. Add in beef cube, lemongrass and Kaffir lime leaves, mix well.
4. Add in coconut milk and tamarind peel, stir to blend well.
5. If use pressure cooker, once 2nd ring rise, turn heat to low, and cook for 25mins.
6. If use normal pot, simmer for 1-1/2hour.
7. Add in kerisik, seasoning with salt and sugar, adjust taste accordingly.
8. Constantly stir till gravy thicken.
9. Serve with nasi lemak, or ketupat or steamed rice.
** please refer to ingredients page if you want to see those ingredients photos.
If you don't take beef, then you can try Chicken Rendang.
I will share with you how to make Ketupat daun Palas in my next post ...