I would like to special dedicate this dish to Love2cook who has been asking me to share this recipe for her. This simple tofu dish is popular at the "tai chow" hawker stalls and Chinese restaurant.. beaten egg and tofu mixture is poured into a hot plate and created a sizzling effect..
The shop owner told me have to special care of this hot plate, have to immediate pat dry after washed, brush and coat entire hot plate with oil before storing it. These steps is to prevent the plate from rusty. I bought this hot plate at RM 20++..
Hot Plate Sizzling Tofu (recipe souce: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
2 rolls Japanese egg tofu, cut into 1.5cm slices
80g chicken breast, minced
60g prawns, peeled and minced
3 Chinese Shiitake mushroom, soaked till soft, sliced
1tsp Chinese rice wine, optional
Pinch of salt
2 shallot, chopped
2 garlic, chopped
1cm young ginger, chopped
125ml chicken stock / water
1/4tsp ground pepper
1tbsp oyster sauce
1/4tsp dark caramel soy sauce
1/2tbsp tapioca flour/cornstarch mixed with 1tbsp water
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 spring onion, cut 1” lengthwise
1 fresh red chili, sliced
To deep fry tofu
1. Heat a wok with oil over high heat.
2. Dust the tofu with corn flour, and deep fry till golden brown.
3. Remove and drain on paper towels.
To prepare topping
1. Marinate chicken and prawns with sugar, salt and rice wine for 20mins.
2. Heat a wok over high heat, sauté chopped shallots, garlic and ginger.
3. Add minced meat and prawns, stir-fry until fragrant and browned.
4. Add chicken stock/water, pepper, oyster sauce, dark caramel sauce and salt to taste.
5. Bring to boil and thicken with the tapioca flour mixture.
6. Dish out
1. Place a hot plate over high heat and add 1tbsp oil.
2. Once it is smoking hot, pour in the beaten egg and top with tofu and mince mixture.
3. Garnish with spring onion and chili.
4. Serve immediately.
Also i would like to Thanks again to Love2cook given me so many lovely gifts after I won in her 1st giveaway recently..