I have bookmarked this chocolate cake long time ago, just got a chance to try out since i bought a litre of dairy whipping cream (price is much cheaper if compare to buy just a small packet). Anyway, i need to think few more recipes before the cream get expired(need to consume within 2 weeks after opened), what i can think of is spaghetti carbonara, L’Exotique, Hokkaido milk loaf and etc..
This recipe is from a Chinese blogger, the Chinese name of this cake is 巧克力秒刹蛋糕 , but i have no idea how to translate into English..Since this chocolate cake is very rich in chocolate, so i just call it as Rich chocolate sponge cake..I highly recommend you to try this chocolate cake if you are a chocolate lover, this cake is very rich in chocolate and also moist and soft, simply good!
After i enjoyed a slice of this chocolate cake with a cup of expresso, my throat started to feel itchy, so you can imagine how rich of this chocolate cake it is, hehehe..
I bought this cake stand from Bangkok at chatchuchak market, only cost me RM 25 (USD8).
Rich chocolate sponge cake
(recipe source: adapted from 羿溱 , original recipe from 美味糕点新主张)
50g corn oil
80g full cream milk
15g cocoa powder
100g semi-sweet chocolate (I use Lindt 70% cocoa)
90g egg yolks (5 medium eggs)
180g egg white (5 medium eggs)
100g caster sugar
75g cake flour
150g dairy whipping cream
120g semi-sweet chocolate
1. Heat corn oil and milk over a pot of simmering water.
2. Add in chocolate, and stir till melted.
3. Add in cocoa powder, stir well. Add in egg yolks once slightly cooled.
4. In another clean bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until foamy, gradually add in sugar and beat till glossy and soft peaks form.
5. Take one-third of egg whites mixture to mix with the egg yolk chocolate mixture using a hand whisk. Then fold in the remaining egg white using a spatula until well combined.
6. Sift in the flour, slowly fold well.
7. Pour batter into a 7” round cake pan with removable base.
8. Bake at pre-heated oven at 180c for 40mins.
9. Immediately inverted the cake pan and cool on a wire rack.
10. Make ganache by melt chocolate over simmering water, add in cream and butter, stir well till smooth.
11. Pour ganache over the cake and refrigerate in the fridge before serve.
my note: next time i will reduce the ganache amount as the amount in this recipe was quite too much, maybe reduce 20% should be alright.
Happy Baking !!