My main purpose of purchased one litre of whipping cream actually is to make this L’Exotique. My daughter and I tasted this very delicious dessert cake when SweeSan brought for us in a gathering long time ago. I have bookmarked this recipe for so long but hesitate to make it as this recipe sound so difficult to make. When my daughter requested this cake for her Birthday cake this week, then I have no excuses and have to make for her.
Before i start to make this cake, I printed out the recipe, study and read carefully of every steps required for few times. I also summarize the ingredients in a paper before i start to purchase, especially i have to buy few fruits & veggie like mango, banana, orange, lime, coconut, lemongrass and passionfruit.
This is very similar like a mousse cake, my favourite part of the cake was the flavour of the coconut dacquoise and lemongrass Bavarian cream.
I did not make a good job, see my poor layering..But the taste is super delicious !! A very tropical feel of dessert cake.
I also try to simplify the recipe by combining two Bavarian cream and just prepare at one go..Even with this, there are still a lot of steps to do and I spent almost 5hours to complete this cake! Also need to wash many bowls and tools ! Below is the recipe that i have simplified and follow the sequence..
(recipe source: adapted from The Sweet Spot with minor changes)
*makes a 6” square
Mango Compote Gelee
30ml orange juice
10ml lime juice
20g light brown sugar
2 tsp powdered gelatin
1. Cover gelatin with 2tsp cold water, let it bloom.
2. Dice fruits with 5mmx5mmx5mm if possible.
3. Add all fruits and brown sugar in a pot and bring to boil and stir till slightly dry and thicken, takes about 5-7mins.
4. Melt gelatin in a microwave for 30sec twice, add into the fruits mixture and stir well.
5. Pour into a lined pan and chill in the fridge for 2-3hours or till set.
6. Remove and cut to desired size.
Coconut Lime Dacquoise
94g egg white
30g caster sugar
16g almond meal
77g icing sugar
60g freshly grated coconut
zest of 1 key lime
pinch of salt
1. Combine almond meal, icing sugar, grated coconut, lime zest, flour and salt, set aside.
2. Whisk egg whites till foamy and gradually add in sugar and beat till soft peaks form.
3. Fold in item no1 in few batches. Pour into a pan with lined non-stick baking sheet or Silpat and bake for 20mins at 160c.
4. Remove and set aside to cool.
Passion fruit and Lemongrass Bavarian Cream
100g caster sugar
60g egg yolks
190g dairy whipping cream
110g passion fruit pulp (without seeds)
60g mango puree
3 stalks lemongrass (white part only), pound till fine and add 1tbsp water to extract the juice
1. Soak gelatin with 5tsp cold water and set aside.
2. Whip cream to soft peak form and thick, set aside in the fridge.
3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar lightly in a clean bowl.
4. In another clean pot, combine milk and sugar to a boil.
5. When the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
6. Pour some mixture into egg yolk mixture and stir well.
7. Return no 6 mixture into the balance milk mixture and return the pot to heat.
8. Stir well till the mixture has thickened.
9. Heat up/ melt gelatin in the microwave for 30sec twice or till dissolved and mix into the mixture and stir well.
10. Take one third of the mixture and mix with lemongrass juices. Fold in one third of the whipped cream into the mixture, stir well.
11. Add passion fruit and mango puree in the balance two third of the mixture and stir well. Fold in the balance whipped cream into the mixture, stir well.
1. Get a 6” square cake ring, cut dacquoise to 3 pieces x 6” square.
2. Lay 1st layer of dacquoise, pour passion fruit and mango Bavarian cream on top.
3. Add 2nd layer of dacquoise, pour passion fruit and mango Bavarian cream on top.
4. Then follow by the mango compote gelee.
5. Top with 3rd layer of dacquoise, pour in lemongrass Bavarian cream. Let is set in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
6. Make white chocolate ganache (recipe as per below) and pour over the top. Chill in the fridge for further 3-6 hours or keep it overnight.
White Chocolate Ganache
75g white chocolate, buttons or chopped
1. Bring cream to a light boil.
2. Pour into white chocolate, stir till ganache is completely smooth.
Use a sharp knife to run around the cake and slowly remove the cake ring. Slice to desired size and serve with small cubes of mango and top with roasted shredded coconut flakes. Poke in 2 small lemongrass stalks to let the flavours infuse more.
This is how SweeSan describe this cake- When you first bite it, the obvious taste would be white chocolate, then goes on to some coconut bits, passionfruit, maybe some pineapple, lastly after you swallow the cake, the lemongrass flavour comes alive, giving it a refreshing after tasted.
Happy Baking !!