If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, August 12, 2011

L’Exotique, worth a try !

L’Exotique

My main purpose of purchased one litre of whipping cream actually is to make this L’Exotique. My daughter and I tasted this very delicious dessert cake when SweeSan brought for us in a gathering long time ago. I have bookmarked this recipe for so long but hesitate to make it as this recipe sound so difficult to make. When my daughter requested this cake for her Birthday cake this week, then I have no excuses and have to make for her.




L’Exotique



Before i start to make this cake, I printed out the recipe, study and read carefully of every steps required for few times. I also summarize the ingredients in a paper before i start to purchase, especially i have to buy few fruits & veggie like mango, banana, orange, lime, coconut, lemongrass and passionfruit.
This is very similar like a mousse cake, my favourite part of the cake was the flavour of the coconut dacquoise and lemongrass Bavarian cream.

L’Exotique


I did not make a good job, see my poor layering..But the taste is super delicious !! A very tropical feel of dessert cake.

L’Exotique


I also try to simplify the recipe by combining two Bavarian cream and just prepare at one go..Even with this, there are still a lot of steps to do and I spent almost 5hours to complete this cake! Also need to wash many bowls and tools ! Below is the recipe that i have simplified and follow the sequence..


L’Exotique
(recipe source: adapted from The Sweet Spot with minor changes)
*makes a 6” square

L’ExotiqueMango Compote Gelee
30ml orange juice
10ml lime juice
20g light brown sugar
90g pineapple
90g mango
50g banana
2 tsp powdered gelatin

Method
1. Cover gelatin with 2tsp cold water, let it bloom.
2. Dice fruits with 5mmx5mmx5mm if possible.
3. Add all fruits and brown sugar in a pot and bring to boil and stir till slightly dry and thicken, takes about 5-7mins.
4. Melt gelatin in a microwave for 30sec twice, add into the fruits mixture and stir well.
5. Pour into a lined pan and chill in the fridge for 2-3hours or till set.
6. Remove and cut to desired size.

Coconut Lime Dacquoise

94g egg white
30g caster sugar
16g almond meal
77g icing sugar
60g freshly grated coconut
16g flour
zest of 1 key lime
pinch of salt

Method
1. Combine almond meal, icing sugar, grated coconut, lime zest, flour and salt, set aside.
2. Whisk egg whites till foamy and gradually add in sugar and beat till soft peaks form.
3. Fold in item no1 in few batches. Pour into a pan with lined non-stick baking sheet or Silpat and bake for 20mins at 160c.
4. Remove and set aside to cool.

Passion fruit and Lemongrass Bavarian Cream

4tsp gelatin
180ml milk
100g caster sugar
60g egg yolks

190g dairy whipping cream

110g passion fruit pulp (without seeds)
60g mango puree

3 stalks lemongrass (white part only), pound till fine and add 1tbsp water to extract the juice

Method
1. Soak gelatin with 5tsp cold water and set aside.
2. Whip cream to soft peak form and thick, set aside in the fridge.
3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar lightly in a clean bowl.
4. In another clean pot, combine milk and sugar to a boil.
5. When the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
6. Pour some mixture into egg yolk mixture and stir well.
7. Return no 6 mixture into the balance milk mixture and return the pot to heat.
8. Stir well till the mixture has thickened.
9. Heat up/ melt gelatin in the microwave for 30sec twice or till dissolved and mix into the mixture and stir well.
10. Take one third of the mixture and mix with lemongrass juices. Fold in one third of the whipped cream into the mixture, stir well.
11. Add passion fruit and mango puree in the balance two third of the mixture and stir well. Fold in the balance whipped cream into the mixture, stir well.


To assemble

1. Get a 6” square cake ring, cut dacquoise to 3 pieces x 6” square.
2. Lay 1st layer of dacquoise, pour passion fruit and mango Bavarian cream on top.
3. Add 2nd layer of dacquoise, pour passion fruit and mango Bavarian cream on top.
4. Then follow by the mango compote gelee.
5. Top with 3rd layer of dacquoise, pour in lemongrass Bavarian cream. Let is set in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
6. Make white chocolate ganache (recipe as per below) and pour over the top. Chill in the fridge for further 3-6 hours or keep it overnight.


White Chocolate Ganache
100ml cream
75g white chocolate, buttons or chopped
Method
1. Bring cream to a light boil.
2. Pour into white chocolate, stir till ganache is completely smooth.


To serve
Use a sharp knife to run around the cake and slowly remove the cake ring. Slice to desired size and serve with small cubes of mango and top with roasted shredded coconut flakes. Poke in 2 small lemongrass stalks to let the flavours infuse more.


L’Exotique



This is how SweeSan describe this cake- When you first bite it, the obvious taste would be white chocolate, then goes on to some coconut bits, passionfruit, maybe some pineapple, lastly after you swallow the cake, the lemongrass flavour comes alive, giving it a refreshing after tasted.

Happy Baking !!


63 comments:

Bakeling said...

Wish to have a bite !

Mel said...

Looking at the ingredients, methods and assembling this cake, it must be a hard work of completing the whole process! But looking at it, I am sure it does taste real good, wasn't it? My saliva drooling..... thanks for this recipe.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

好特别哦,很好吃的样子:)
很喜欢这组照片,喜欢那个背景:)

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

this cake is very special with so many different type of fruits. Wish I can taste it :)

lilaskitchendiary said...

Wow how long did that take you? It looks immense!

makcikmanggis said...

nampak sungguh enak sekali tapi agak rumit juga..macamana ni..ada jual kat kedai tak:)

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, your daughter is a lucky girl. Mama is such a good cook and baker. I am sure she enjoyed this beatuful delicious cake filled with lots of love!

Márti said...

Very delicious !

Unknown said...

Sonia,
May I know what's the size of the cake pan you use for the dacquoise?

WendyinKK said...

Wow! You made this super long instruction cake.
I remember when Swee San told me about this, we were wondering what name to give it.
I do remember how tasty it was, the lemongrass part was my favourite :)
Hehe, your daughter really knows how to choose her bithday cake.

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

This is a masterpiece! So many good flavors, wish I could have a slice ;)

ICook4Fun said...

Your daughter is very lucky girl. Her mama is a talented woman and can bake anything she requested. When is saw the long instructions. the cake look delicious!! I see the long instructions I also scare to try it out :)

ann low said...

Sonia, you did a good job! With so many flavor in it, it must be very yummy !
Happy Birthday to your daughter:)

hanushi said...

Pretty!! A very classy cake! :)

Diane said...

Think that may tip the scales overboard but it looks delicious. Diane

Lite Home Bake said...

Wow! This looks really good, but the steps sound super hard!Happy Birthday to your gal!

yummylittlecooks said...

Wah,spent 5 hours to do this?! Faint!!lols..
Anyway, Happy Birthday to your daughter :)

Eileen@hundred eighty degrees said...

Awesome! Delicious bake. Happy Birthday to your girl!

The Experimental Cook said...

My goodness! This is definitely a labor of LOVE. The layering was what caught my eye.

This is definitely worth a try but I think I will layer it any way.Details kill me ;-)

Unknown said...

Awesome job!!! Looks wonderful. Happy Birthday to Your daughter.

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

Wow Sonia, your daughter sure does know how to give her mother a hell of a time in the kitchen.. Good job and glad that you made it and your daughter enjoys it.. :)

Happy Flour said...

Happy Birthday to your little princess. By just looking at the photos, I'm already drooling. ;p Look very tempting... delicious...

lena said...

good work, sonia! an exquisite kind of cake! looks tough for me to handle! again, well done!!

Three-Cookies said...

Wow, looks amazing, complex and extremely delicious. With a very fancy name as well:) Have a great weekend.

Cuisine Paradise said...

OMG!!!! Sonia this cake look absolutely stunning! Your hard work definitely pay off :) Happy Birthday to your princess.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Beautiful cake! I wish to take a bite too.

Jun said...

i dun think i will try this ..looking at d long recipe..aiyoo.i surrender for now..sonia, u still have more? sell me a piece! hehe...

Anonymous said...

Poor layering?Who cares .It looks absolutely yummy:))

Anonymous said...

Poor layering?Who cares .It looks absolutely yummy:))

tigerfish said...

Absolutely amazing!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!!!

So tempting the cake, hehe... wish can have a bite of it right now, hehe...

Mary said...

Oh my goodness! I've done a lot of baking and I have never made anything that complex. Way to go! It looks great and even more importantly, it was delicious.

Anonymous said...

your daughter is really lucky. i don't remember my mum baking me a cake at all :). your cake look stunning. will try real soon! happy birthday to your daughter. god bless.

kitchen flavours said...

Your cake looks superb! I have never made any cakes with so many steps before! I'm too lazy for that! You did a wonderful job! Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter!

Sherleen.T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherleen.T said...

the cake looks tempting...i wish to have a bite too....:)
happy birthday to your princess! she is very lucky to have a wonderful mom who can cook and bake so well...

Pushpa said...

Exotic delicious cake.

susanyee said...

so many steps...really need read carefully...btw d outcome veri nice!!!

Little blue said...

So so so many step, i don't think i can do it well...i come here see and eat!!haha...

Jane Chew said...

Happy Birthday to your princess. You did a great job. I am sure she must be enjoy this very much. The hardwork and times u putting in must sure win back with lots of praises n sure a kiss n big hug fr ur girl :)

Cheah said...

A job well done, Sonia. The cake is perfect.

Pete said...

Wah, long recipe and instruction....i pengsan liao...he he he!

Hasna said...

that's awesome!! ur pic came out perfect!!

Gloria Baker said...

georgeous I love mangos!!!
Happy birthday to your daugther! gloria

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful. Well done! Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Rita said...

Sonia, Great job! Superb cake with so many steps and ingredients-flavours. Sounds wonderful.
Happy Birthday to your daughter.
Have a great week ahead.

Rita

divya said...

Wow wat a tempting clicks,looks awesome...

sophia said...

Can I meet your daughter? I want to tell her how freaking lucky she is, but I'm sure she already knows that! That cake is better than a fancy bakeshop's! super impressive. And a happy birthday to your darling daughter! :-)

Colin Woon said...

This is a job well done, Sonia! I sure hope I can have a bite of this delicious looking dessert! WOW!

Sem said...

It really looks good, all my favourite fruits ,and lemongrass really adds an interesting note to the cake.
Happy birthday to your princess.
Sem

温馨小屋 said...

看来这蛋糕还真不简单....你做得很棒很好了~~
祝你女儿生日快乐

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Aww Happy Birthday to your little princess! :-) You are saying this is not a good job layering? It looks great to me! But then I don't bake so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. =P You really are a great baker Sonia! I wish I can do well in both cooking and baking just like you (and you are good mommy who makes cake for birthdays!).

Unknown said...

Lots of effort put into this cake! interesting and refreshing combination

aipi said...

You always have the best pro looking dessert recipes ~ this one looks delectable n sinful!
B'day wishes to your kiddo!
USMasala

Lisa Ho said...

Sonia... I have one word to say... err actually 2
Beautiful and Yummy :D
Happy birthday to your princess

That's Ron said...

wah ! that looks so good. so many components to that cake. but it looks like it was worth it!

MnYfoodtalk said...

It looks really delicious!

My Little Space said...

Oh my goodness Sonia, this is definitely something to die for! Happy Belated Birthday to your girl. Wow, time just flies...isn't it! Remember last year, you got your KA around her birthday as well. haha... See, i got very good memories (only sometimes!). haha... I used to hate reading long instruction recipes but not anymore. I rather enjoy this kind of baking this days. Maybe because it's more challenging and self satisfying. I know you felt the same way too! Happy baking & have a great day.
Kristy

Victor said...

I haven't look at your blog for such a while, came back from vacations. You made some amazing desserts the past months, incredible and indulgent.

I just checked the recipe for L'exotique, I'm not sure if I can make it considering the amount of ingredients.

Great job on the cake!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

That's a very fancy and delicious looking cake! Great job with the execution! I don't know if 'll be able to pull it off....LOL! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori said...

This looks complex, but like it is worth every bit of the effort. Simply beautiful! I love all the flavors in it as well.

E @ Act Fast Chef said...

Wow, this looks amazing! A very complex and detailed recipe, but I am sure it is worth it.

I am your newest follower :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin