If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ayam Rendang (Rendang chicken)

Yesterday I noticed that the usual Malay stalls in the wet market selling more herbs than usual, they also selling those daun palas (palm leaves) and coconut leaves for ketupat. I just realized that Hari Raya Haji just around the corner as Malay need all these ingredients to cook Rendang and ketupat. I also take this opportunity to buy some fresh herbs to cook my favourite Ayam Rendang (Rendang chicken) and also learnt how to prepare ketupat daun palas ( palm leaves glutinous rice cake) from a Malay makcik (auntie).

Ayam Rendang




My Malay friend taught me how to cook this Ayam Rendang (Rendang chicken), and usually I prefer creamy (more gravy) type of Ayam Rendang, thus usually I don't add kerisik (toasted coconut)...

Ayam Rendang


These herbs/ingredients are must have items in cooking a good Rendang..

Ayam Rendang ingredients


After mix all blended ingredients and chicken, in cooking process..

Ayam Rendang


The background are those ketupat palas parcels (palm leaves) that i bought from wet market and to fill the parcels with glutinous rice and cook it, this is best to serve with Rendang.

Ayam Rendang



Ayam Rendang (Rendang chicken)
(source: originated by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

1.5kg chicken, chopped into bite size

Blend ingredients
5 cloves garlic
5 shallots
2 big onions
1” ginger
1” galangal /lengkuas (blue ginger)
2 lemongrass, cut small pieces
5 buah keras (candlenuts)
1” fresh turmeric

2tbsp chili paste
1 asam keeping (tamarind peel)
150ml thick coconut milk
200ml water
1 turmeric leaf, finely shredded
3 kaffir lime leaves, torn into few pieces
2 lemongrass, bruised
5tbsp cooking oil

2tsp salt or to taste
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar or taste

Method
1. Blend all blend ingredients with few tbsp of water till fine paste, set aside
2. Heat oil in a heavy pan, add in blended paste, sauté till fragrant.
3. Add in chili paste, continue stir fry for 15mins.
4. Add in chicken, tamarind peel, turmeric leaf, kaffir lime leaf and bruised lemon grass, stir to mix well, cook for 5mins.
5. Add in water, continue to simmer for 20-25mins, stir from time to time.
6. Season with salt and sugar, mix in coconut milk, continue to cook for another 5mins.
7. Serve hot with rice or ketupat pulut palas (glutinous rice).

Ayam Rendang

Happy Cooking !!
Selamat Hari Raya Haji...

41 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

哇....这个超赞,我很喜欢,可以配多多饭吃了^^

Kitchen Corner said...

WOW! What can I say?! This curry rendang looks absolutely delicious! There is no doubt that using fresh malay herbs could really bring out the flavors. I'm so hungry looking at your curry rendang!

icafe said...

so yummy...fantastic with nasi kunyit or lemang...yummmm

Swee San said...

yumm i'm craving for some curry right now

chow and chatter said...

looks amazing and lovely to see the pictures of the herbs

My Little Space said...

Sonia, you also celebrating the Hari Raya Haji! hehe... ^_^ Your rendang chicken looks very tempting. lol! Hope you're enjoying your day.
Kristy

ahteekitchen said...

Great appearance! HO jiak Ohh~

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia,
Selamat Hari Raya Haji my dear:D Your rendang chicken looks mouth watering yummilicious! The pictures are splendid as always! I love visiting your site! Added your blog in "My Favorite links":D Enjoy the holiday!

3 hungry tummies said...

Your rendang looks fabulous...I need more rice to go with that.

You must send this as an entry for MMM :)

busygran said...

Very inviting and delicious!

Agnes Sim said...

thanks for sharing! Long time din visit ur blog oredi. Once open ur blog, saw this post and make me hungry cos i din take lunch 2day. How wish i got chicken rendang n white rice right now! :p

YHL said...

Sonia, eventhough i jus took my dinner, thisayam rendang made me hungry again. thx for sharing must try out soon

Little Inbox said...

This dish alone with rice is going to cheer me up. :)

Elin Chia said...

Wow...great with lemang :) I want to cook this ayam rendang..healthier version without the kerisik :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I am so ready for a spicy dish like this!

Deeba PAB said...

I have to try a rendang soon. Yours curry looks finger licking good. WOW!!

Wendy said...

drooling over here....it is always my favorite to go with nasi lemak!!!

lena said...

thanks for sharing this! usually the curry rendang that we eat is the dry version and i think yours look very appetising!

Min said...

Delicious! I like this kind of spicy dish, can I have a serving?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Ohh thanks so much for showing us the pictures of all the spices! That is super helpful! I love Rendang, but since my nubby doesn't take beef, chicken rending is perfect!, thanks Sonia, have a good holiday too!

WendyinKK said...

Adoi, sedapnye!
I saw lots of lemang today, grilling by the roadsides.

Cheah said...

Wow, can't help salivating, Sonia. Can smell the rendang from my screen!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Must be really fragrant! Turmeric leaf is something new to me.

huikhee and yoonlai said...

yummy,yummy...I want to try this recipe too. I think I can't find turmeric leaf here. :(

Love2cook Malaysia said...

What can I say more??? I'm grabbing that chicken rendang!!! Such a lovely and yummy dish ya! WOW!!! :D

Wishing all Muslims a Happy Aidil Adha!!! :D

ICook4Fun said...

Adoi, sedapnya Sonia. I dah lama tak makan ketupat palas. Since I grow lots of turmeric now and I get to put turmeric leaves in my rendang too :)

Kimberly Peterson said...

This Chicken Rendang looks soooooo delicious!!! I would kill for some of that right now, lol. Eh I thought I actually already commented on this post, because I've seen this yesterday! Looks like I must've forgotten to click submit or something, oh well!

Jeannie said...

Looks so delicious! Love rendang with lemang, yum!

elpi said...

Love chicken, anything about it. . Rendang is one of my favorite pair it with rice gaaaaahh god great combo:)

Jane Chew said...

looks yummy. Must be perfect to go with ketupat or may be nasi lemak right?

Anonymous said...

ayam rendang with white rice is great! im hunger for it :)

tigerfish said...

Rendang! Can I have some? *drool*

shaz said...

Oh my tummy is rumbling just looking at those pics. I miss ketupat and rendang so much, waaa! Thanks for the recipe, I usually make beef rendang, but must try this chicken version.

Thanks for taking part in MM :) Love having your support.

Jo said...

I can already see that this rendang is extremely yummy. It has all the fresh herbs in the bowl. This will definitely go well with some ketupat or better still with lemang.

Pei-Lin said...

Sonia, you're my sifu! I don't know how to make ketupat lar!! For my rendang, I prefer dry type with kerisik. Sedapnya! I like both rendang ayam and daging!

Noob Cook said...

really lovely curry... will eat a lot with rice :D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for stopping by and your nice words, appreciate much.

Unknown said...

Wow!! You are just making me missing home more and more, Sonia! :) Can't wait to go back to Malaysia to eat all my curry in a hurry !! But I think I will try your recipe first in case I am too desperate and can't wait any longer. Thanks for sharing

Jual Tanah said...

Thx for the info...

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

really lovely curry

Anonymous said...

Very good recipe. Thank you for sharing. I added kerisik. Yummy ��

Blog Widget by LinkWithin