If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, November 12, 2010

Tupperware Tiffin contest - Don't Call Me Chef

When Ivy Soon (The  Hungry Caterpillar) from Star Publications told me there is a tiffin contest-Don't Call Me Chef organized by Star Publications in collaboration with Tupperware who will be giving away some good prizes. She wish i can join this contest since I cooking a lot. I immediate called to my mom and asked her to search for me the only tiffin carrier (we call as " Kei Chan " in Hokkien ) left in my family. This tiffin carrier has been around 50 years in my family since my grandmother's time.

IMG_5211


I believe this old fashion tiffin carrier will definitely bring me some good luck, so I actually thinking to join this contest.

I also like to extend this invitation to my fellow Malaysian bloggers and readers, I wish your could also participate this contest and bring the tiffin lunch back into your lives and same time to support re-use and re-cycle campaign (No plastic bag) which organized by local Governements here.

Write up by Ivy Soon of Don' Call Me Chef:-

LONG before there were plastic bags and disposable containers, tiffin carriers were used to store and carry food. Tiffin carriers are stackable, multi-tiered containers that are looped to a handle with latches on the side. The separate containers allowed for the different dishes to be stored separately, and it usually even comes with a plate.


Originally from India, it was invented as the carry-all for workers to pack their lunch to take to the office.
In Mumbai, India, there is a highly efficient service that delivers tiffin lunches to office workers and schoolchildren. Dabbawallas (meaning one who carries a box) collect tiffin boxes from homes, and deliver them to offices, and then return them to the respective homes.
Tiffin carriers are also used here, and elsewhere in Asia. They are usually made of stainless steel, or enamel.
Tiffin carriers are suitable for packing Asian meals, as we can keep our rice, curry or soup, and other dishes separately. We also use them for noodles, packing the noodles, garnishings and gravy in different containers. These tiffin carriers are not only functional but environmentally friendly as well.
Inspired by the tiffin carrier, Tupperware is launching its BYO (Bring Your Own) TaPau multi-tiered containers, which are designed to hold our favourite soup-based noodles and rice dishes. As with all Tupperware Brands products, it is made made from safe, non-toxic, non-carcinogenic and microwaveable materials and do not release harmful chemicals to food or liquid contents. The BYO TaPau Set also reduces plastic waste and garbage. It is toxin-free, and is an eco-friendly alternative to plastic bags, styrofoam boxes and disposable containers.


In conjunction with the launch of this product, Don't Call Me Chef will be celebrating the tiffin carrier in our next issue. We'd like you to join us, and share your favourite tiffin lunch recipes.


Tupperware is giving away a RM1,000 hamper of its products, including the BYO TaPau containers, to the senders of the three best entries. We'll also be featuring the winning recipes in next month's Don't Call Me Chef.


All you have to do is:
Share with us your tiffin carrier stories; they could be anything from your memories of tiffin lunches, or a favourite dish you packed for school or the office.


Share your recipes with us.


Cook the dishes and snap a clear photograph (it must be high-resolution and at least 1,000KB) of the meal in a tiffin carrier/bento/container (but without the product name being visible).



E-mail us at dontcallmechef
@gmail.com or snail mail your entries to us at:
Don't Call Me Chef
c/o StarTwo
Star Publications (M) Bhd
Menara Star
15 Jalan 16/11
46350 Petaling Jaya
Selangor


Closing date: Nov 21

19 comments:

Simplyfood said...

What agood way to carry your lunch.Will think of some yummy recipes for this event.

pigpigscorner said...

This certainly brings back memories.

Jane Chew said...

woo... ur tiffin carrier is so beautiful. I like it so much. My mum in law gave me one too but is just plain in colour.

ICook4Fun said...

I remember my mom have a couple of this 'kei chan' too. I wish I can join this contest :(

Jo said...

You wouldn't believe that I have been on the hunt for tiffin carrier such as this one. It is so hard to find one nowadays. The ones that are sold in Melaka are so expensive! They are probably targeting tourists.

tinyskillet said...

What a beautiful tiffin! I have been making bento box lunches and using reusable container rather that plastic baggies for awhile now. Many from where I work is doing the same. I have been wanting a tiffin for some time. I love the idea of getting so many involved in doing the same thing. Good luck!

Cheah said...

Your tiffin carrier looks cute, I've got one in the house for display. I regard it as an antique as it's older than me!!

tigerfish said...

I am using a tiffin carrier too and I love it. I supposed the contest is only open to Malaysian residents? ;p

温馨小屋 said...

来给你加油! 你一定行的!

Reeni said...

That's a beautiful tiffin!

Anonymous said...

When i was studying at primary school that time, my mom used tiffin carriers to bring me food :D So nostalgic..

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

What a fun contest to join. All the best to you. That's a nice looking tiffin. I don't think they make them like that anymore.

Jeannie said...

I like your pretty tiffin carrier...I only have the normal stainless steel type which is still quite easily available.

Bakeling said...

Sometimes , some food really bring out some unforgettable memory .

I will keep the tiffin carrier as an antique and display it in my house !

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sure brings back memory. I remember my mom used to have this too. But no idea where it is now, have not seen it for a long time.

Unknown said...

I don't own one but your tiffin carrier looks pretty. Go for it!

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Sonia, did U check out the casserole/ramekin at jusco??? I commented under one of ur earlier post..;)

chow and chatter said...

oh wow love tiffin boxes and this one has so much history

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for stopping by. I have submitted my entry, have you?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin