The other day my blogger friend Simple Menu (Yan) forwarded a link to me and asked me : you do you do, you can do this, hahaha..
She always asked me to try out new recipe when she found any interesting recipes. Since i still have half pumpkin sitting in the fridge, why not try this cute pumpkin bun which look like pumpkin shape.
When i see this white lotus paste selling in the bakery ingredients shop and realized that Mooncake festival is approaching. I quickly buy this paste first before they sold out very fast..So i use this lotus paste to make the filling for this bun.
Use a butter knife to make the pumpkin pattern
Steamed Pumpkin buns with Lotus paste filling 南瓜小包子
(recipe source: visually inspired by here, recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 13 buns
150g mashed pumpkin ( steam or microwave to soften)
225 all purpose flour
To make yeast water (set aside for 5mins to bloom)
1tbsp lukewarm water
1tsp instant yeast
Filling- lotus paste ( you can replaced with red bean paste, peanut or etc)
Pumkin skin- cut into small piece to make as pumpkin’s stem
1. Add in all ingredients and yeast water in a mixing bowl and knead till smooth dough.
2. Cover with damp cloth and rest for 60mins.
3. Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
4. Weigh out 30 gm of dough and roughly shape into a ball and rest for 10mins.
5. Weight lotus paste 15g and lightly shape into ball.
6. Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place lotus filling onto the center, wrap and pleat up the sides and seal.
7. Use a butter knife, mark from top and lightly press down towards bottom, keep a small gap in between, repeat this step till whole dough ball finished. Place a small piece of pumpkin skin at the middle and lightly press down.
8. Place the pumpkin buns (pleat area face down) onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 10-15 mins.
9. Lightly mark bun with butter knife again (to sharpen the pattern), steam the buns under rapidly boiling water on high heat for about 15mins.
10. Wait for 2mins then only open the lid and remove from the steamer.