This recipe was adapted from a new cookbook that I bought recently. The best thing of this kueh is you don't need a mould to make it.
The whole kueh is coating with toasted sesame seeds, full of sesame seeds aroma
As usual, I cooked red bean paste using the cooked red bean from red bean dessert soup (just add sugar to cook till thicken) ..
I found the dough is a bit dry when shaping with red bean paste..but it is ok after cooked as the whole kueh will cover by toasted sesame seeds..
Sesame Kueh 芝麻粄(recipe adapted from Authentic Chinese Dumplings cookbook)
1tbsp wheat starch (Tang Mein Flour)
250g glutinous flour
1tbsp caster sugar
1tbsp cooking oil
100ml boiling water
300g red bean pasteBanana leaves
Some toasted sesame seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine glutinous rice flour with wheat starch and sugar, mix well.
- Add in boiling water, and rapid mixing well , cover and rest for 5mins.
- Slowly adding water and cooking oil, knead to form a soft dough and smooth.
- Evenly divide the dough equal portions to 40g each, cover with a wet cloth for 10mins.
- Form dough into ball shape, lightly flatten, add in some red bean paste filling, wrap well and form into round shape.
- In a pot, add in water and bring to boil. Lightly press the dough, cook them in boiling water over high heat until cooked through and surfaced. Remove from heat, drained, ,coat with sesame seeds and place on banana leaf. Serve.