In order to clear the leftover pumpkin and a pack of roast peeled chestnut that have been sitting there for too long and going to expire, so I bake this chestnut and pumpkin bread rolls the other day. After did quite a number of breads recipe, I am able to use the basic bread ingredients to come out my own bread recipe. I noticed that recently it is so fast to proof bread dough (about 30-45mins), due to recent hot and warm weather.
Nowadays it is easy to get this type of roast peeled chestnut in our local supermarket here. I plan to use this store-bought chestnut to make Bar Chang (rice dumpling) next time, no more hard time to prepare chestnut at home.
I bought this small piece of handmade lace dolly from a market at Firenze Italy , very expensive after converted, so was able to buy a small piece like this..
Making the rolls...
This bread rolls still maintained soft till the next day due to addition of pumpkin. But it just turned a bit dry due to no addition of sponge dough. Nowadays I like to make bread using direct method, lazy to make sponge dough or overnight sponge dough method. Also because we have to consume homemade bread very fast as no preservative is added.
Chestnut and Pumpkin Bread Rolls 栗子南瓜麵包捲(recipe source: inspired from the cookbook Home Baking with my own twist )
*makes 9 buns using a non-stick square pan 24x24cm
Ingredients250g high protein flour or bread flour
50g mashed pumpkin
1tsp + 1/4tsp instant yeast
50g egg (medium size egg)
60g milk or adjust accordingly
20g unsalted butter, room temperature
120g roast peeled chestnut (store-bought), chopped10g unsalted butter, for brushing
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl except milk and unsalted butter.
- Using a stand mixer, slowly pour in milk (don’t pour all at one go, adjust accordingly) and knead till smooth. Add in butter, continue to knead till elastic and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap or cloth and set aside to proof until double size (for me this took about 45mins).
- Punch down the dough and set aside for 5mins.
- Using a roll pin, roll dough into 24x24cm, using a silicone brush, brush butter on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle chopped chestnut on top, roll it up like a swiss roll, divide it into 9 pcs.Place them on the prepared baking pan. Set aside to proof until puffy (for me this took about 15mins).
- Apply egg wash on the dough, bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 20mins or until golden brown. Cool briefly before serve.