I did made a similar recipe using same overnight rice method earlier. As for this new recipe, the result was satisfied, this cake has slight QQ texture and mild rice aroma.
Make sure you fill the batter till full ( to the ring) then you can have smiling face of cake (cracked effected) . Some i filled too full and resulted like a mushroom shape of cake , LOL. But i noticed only one cup cake which i didn't fill till full but still cracked.
I don't have enough of tea cups, so use these small metal cups to steam this cake, it has the same nicely cracked and also easy to remove from the cups.
Apam Beras (steamed rice cup cakes) 蒸米糕125g overnight cooked white rice250g water
50g plain flour100g caster sugar5g instant yeast (1tsp + 1/8tsp)Small tea cupsMethod
- Blend rice with water till fine paste, set aside.
- Mix rice flour, plain flour, sugar and instant yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Add in blended rice mixture and mix till a sticky paste. Cover with cling wrap and set aside to rise for an hour or more (when you see the volume is increased and a lot of bubbles on the surface).
- Brush cooking oil on each of the small cups, place these cups on the steaming tray and steam till hot.
- When the batter is ready, spoon the batter into each cup till full (fill till the ring). Steam over high heat for 15mins.
- When cakes turned slightly warm, remove from cups and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Butter, Flour and Me