I have been seeing this Cendol flavour of jelly mooncake around the internet. Since i just bought a mould that to make the jelly egg yolk, so my first homemade jelly mooncake chosen Cendol as the flavour.
How to make the egg yolk jelly..
Since i used natural extract food colouring, the orange colour was not evidence. I saw some using carrot or pumpkin as the natural colouring, you can try this method .
Making the cendol filling with egg yolk. I find the tart mould of 2.5" is the best size for the filling.
I even travel to Klang to get fresh cendol from a famous cendol shop in Klang. I just bought RM 1, but still can't finish it. I found their cendol colour was not that green, i guess they did not add green food colouring, only use pure pandan juices.
The jelly texture just nice, neither too hard nor too soft. I love the palm sugar outer layer but my kids don't really like this cendol flvaour. Next time have to try other flavours instead.
Cendol Jelly Mooncake 煎蕊燕菜月饼*makes 4-5 large mooncakeFor Jelly Egg Yolk200g water3/4tsp agar-agar powder35g caster sugar2tbsp coconut milkOrange food colouring ( I used natural extract food colouring)2 pandan leaves, knottedMethod
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stir the mixture and cook till sugar dissolved and the mixture slightly thicken. When you see bubbles appeared on the side, turn off the heat. Discard the pandan leaves.
- Slowly pour jelly mixture to the brim of the lower Jelly egg tray and cover with the upper tray, expect the mixture to overflow.
- Let it set before removing the jelly egg yolk.
For Cendol filling100g water100g coconut milk35g sugar3/4tsp agar-agar powder2 pandan leaves, knotted60g cendol ( I used store bought cendol)Method
- Mix all ingredients except cendol in a saucepan over medium heat, stir the mixture and cook till sugar dissolved and the mixture turn slightly thick. When you see bubbles appeared on the side, turn off the heat. Discard the pandan leaves . Add in cendol, mix well.
- Pour the hot mixture in prepared small tart casing (~2.5”), place one jelly egg yolk in the centre, allowed the mixture to set.For Gula Melaka outer layer1tsp agar-agar powder20g coconut milk80g Gula Melaka or palm sugar, chopped20g caster sugar330g waterMethod
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stir the mixture and cook till sugar dissolved and the mixture turn slightly thick. When you see bubbles appeared on the side, turn off the heat.
- Pour ¼ of Gula Melaka jelly mixture in the prepare jelly mooncake mould. Allow to almost set (do not let it set otherwise it will separated easily).
- Place a piece of cendol filling at the centre. Top up with Gula Melaka jelly mixture to fully fill the mould, let it cool down and set, then transfer into fridge for further chill it.Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover
Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to whom celebrate this day !!