If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yogurt sponge cake

温馨小屋 strongly recommended me to try this recipe from 星厨房. I have tried for few times, and now I also strongly recommend you to give a try. This cake is very soft, moist, not too sweet and less oily.

- cut to half and apply a layer of Blueberries jam


















- I prefer to prepare in cup type.


















- Even it collapse/shrink, but still very tasty





























Ingredients:

A) 4 medium egg yolks
10g Castor sugar

B) 4 medium egg whites
60g Castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of Tartar

120g Natural Yogurt ( or other flavours)
60g Cake flour/Superfine flour
10g Corn flour
40g Corn oil

1) Beat egg yolks and sugar till thick and pale in color, add in yogurt and mix well, set aside.
2) Beat egg white and cream of tartar until foamy, gradually add in sugar and continue beat till fluffy and soft peaks.
3) Stir a big spoonful of egg whites mixture into the egg yolk batter and gently stir with whisk to lighten the batter.
4) Then with a spatula, scoop gradually the remaining egg whites mixture and fold well with egg yolk batter.
5) Sift cake flour and corn flour, and gradually fold into batter.
6) Last add in corn oil and fold gently into batter.
7) Bake in pre-heat oven at 160c for 25mins (cup cake), 40mins (round baking pan).


Tips ( After few attempted making sponge cake, these are my own experiences for sharing):-
1) Separate the eggs when they are cold, because the yolks do not break easily.
2) Leave egg white at room temperature before beating to get best volume.
3) Cake will collapse when turn cool, advise to turn up-side down (tricky to follow this, I have tried once, but the whole cake dropped off)
4) Use superfine flour to get fine texture, and flour must sift and slowly fold into batter.
5) Fold batter gently, don't over- or under- do it

Thanks 星厨房 for the great recipe.
Happy Trying...

17 comments:

Colin Woon said...

Just in time for breakfast! Looks really really yummy! I love the one with blueberries jam!

1st shot is awesome!

温馨小屋 said...

我没介绍错吧!你也做得很成功哦!
做的好!

Annie said...

Oh looks yummy yummy!! I will try this one day! btw, where did you buy the paper cups?

Nancymommy said...

wah....waH...WAH....
又要多一个蛋糕达人了...
这就是上网写Blog和认识网友的好处..

twister said...

wow! really looks soft and yummy, i think i will try it one day....

sonia, thank you very very much for your recommendation u sent out for me....

one again, thanks!!!

Nancymommy said...

提早祝福你~ 母亲节快乐!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Colin, ya, kids love the blueberries jam too, requested me to bake again today, alamak...

Felvinc, thanks for your good recommendation

Annie, I just bought it from the bakery shop which located opposite the Meru Pasar Besar.

Nancy, nowadays bread and cakes are my kid's lunch, hahaha..
Wishing you Happy Mother day too.

Twister, you are welcome, you did a good job.

卡珞 said...

看到我的肚子都咕噜咕噜了!好松软的感觉,很moist!我在想,蛋糕是不是也可以以这个为主呢?请多多指教。

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Carrolyll, yes, you can use this to do Birthday cake, it will not turn hard when you keep in the fridge.
By the way, I visit your blog few times but not able to leave a message, it shown some errors...

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanna ask, how many grams is the yogurt? I've homemade yogurt and tot of making this cake.

delia

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi Delia, sorry, I left out the weight, yogurt is 120g.

Pete said...

My kids would love the blueberry jam with the cake...got to get some cream of tartar first!

Blessed Homemaker said...

This looks like a chiffon cake recipe. Maybe can bake it without greasing/lining the cake pan, then invert to cool.

Wendy said...

Hi Sonia, I love all your bakes. You are an amazing baker. Wanna try this cake but wanna know about step 5 & 6. Usually will add in oil at the initial stage and fold in flour before adding to meringue. So are the two steps meant to be last two steps?? TIA

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Wendy, Thanks for your support. I have so long did not bake this cake. After checked the steps, next time i will also bring forward the step 5 & 6 to do it earlier at egg yolk batter, like making chiffon method. Hopefully i can try this recipe again.

Nic said...

Hi can I know the round cake pan size is 6 or 7 inch? Looks good!

Nic said...

Hi Sonia. I baked it in 6 inch cake pan and have balance for 2 cupcakes. The cakes turned out very soft - just like chiffon cake. But with some moist from yogurt. My 6 inch whole cake also collapsed. I turned it upside down with the mould. Wondered if I should remove the mould while it is cooling. So I removed the mould and it collapsed. I think I should do the same like chiffon cake method, remove mould once it was totally cold. Thanks again for all your recipe which is never fail!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin