If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Matcha Sponge Cake ‎抹茶海绵蛋糕

My daughter is a big fan of everything that includes matcha! I made this matcha cake for her Birthday.







Instead of using cream of Tartar, usually i try to replace with lemon juices

Since this cake bake using a normal round cake pan, thus you have to beat the meringue close to peak, a small curve at the tip.




Every oven is difference ! i find my new oven's temp is slightly on high side, so i placed four corners with empty baking pan to reduce the temperature inside the oven.

So i would able to get a no crack and steady cake! This was baked using 8" cake pan, so it look short.

I brought this matcha cake to my friend's potluck gathering, served with homemade red bean paste and cream, it was good !

As for my daughter's Birthday cake, i baked a 7" cake..

I sandwich the cake with white chocolate mousse and red bean cream , and decorated naked way just with white chocolate and matcha powder.




The cross section of this Birthday cake 

Matcha Sponge Cake 抹茶海绵蛋糕
*makes a 7” or 8” round cake

4 egg yolks (A size)
15g caster sugar
60g corn oil or sunflower oil
60g fresh milk
80g cake flour
10g Matcha powder

4 egg white (A size)
70g caster sugar
1tsp lemon juices


Method
1. Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar. Add in corn oil, stir to mix well.
2. Add in milk, mix well. Sift cake flour and matcha powder together . Add in cake flour and matcha powder three batches, mix well, set aside.
3. Add lemon juices into egg white, beat till foamy.
4. Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks or close to stiff peak.
5. Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
6. Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture, combine well.
7. Pour batter into the pan (with a removable bottom cake pan, Not a non-stick round pan, line baking paper at the bottom) , bake at pre-heated oven at 140c for 25-30mins (at lower rack), then increase to 170C and continue to bake for 30mins. (If you find your oven temp is on high side, you can place few empty baking at the sides to lower down the temp inside the oven.
8. Remove cake pan from the oven, cool 1-2 mins on a wire rack. If you see the cake leave the sides of the pan, immediately remove the cake and baking paper. Continue to cool on wire rack. If not, use a think and sharp spatula, run the sides of the cake pan, remove the cake.

To decorate, optional

To make white chocolate mousse
100g UHT whipping cream
50g white chocolate
25g UHT whipping cream
1tsp gelatine powder
1tbsp water

Method
  1. Beat 100g dairy whipping cream over a bowl of iced cold water till soft peak, keep in the refrigerator.
  2. Microwave white chocolate with 25g dairy whipping cream for 30sec, stir to mix well.
  3. While microwave the white chocolate, melt gelatine powder with water over a bowl of simmering water.
  4. Immediately add into white chocolate mixture, stir to well combine.
  5. Soon the white chocolate mixture has cooled down (don’t need to wait completely cool down), bring whipped cream out from refrigerator, immediately add in white chocolate mixture and stir to combine well.
  6. Pour white chocolate mousse into the cake ring or cake pan, smooth the top. Keep in the refrigerator for overnight. Decorate as desired.

To make red bean cream

170g red bean paste, I used homemade
100g UHT whipping cream

Method
  1. Beat whipping cream over a bowl of iced water till soft peak.
  2. Fold in red bean paste, mix well.


Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

25 comments:

Ana Regalado said...

What a beautiful cake , Sonia ! And matcha , my fave :D Love the frosting , will have to try this recipe next time as it will last longer than just whipped cream .

Happy Birthday to your kiddo !!!

My Little Space said...

Sonia, the cake turns out nice & beautiful. kudos! And love the fresh figs too.
Have a great day dear.
Blessings, kristy

Sem said...

Sonia, lovely cake. I can see fresh figs too, but I didnt see anywhere selling here?

Felicia Yeo said...

Hi Sonia, I love Matcha cakes too. Can't wait to try the recipe as soon as I saw yours. But my sponge cake has a cracked top. Does it mean my oven temperature I on the high side?

Anonymous said...

Wow what a classy cake.

MIOMIO said...

做你的孩子很幸福,要吃蛋糕绝对不许买外面的来吃~

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

felmo fel-mo, ya , one of the reason, but you can't reduce temp too low, just follow my way place few empty cake pans surround it to reduce temp.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sem, you may find it at fruit shop sometime.

Grace said...

Hi Sonia

Admire your cake, so tall, smooth n beautiful.

Any chance of u baking a matcha chiffon cake? I love chiffon n love matcha, just like your gal! 😊

Juliette W. Armstead said...

Thanks ... and wishing you many more happy bakes!i love baking and bakery products

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia
Can i ask what brand greentea you use? I bake the cake but did not get this nice greentea colour like yours..
Tq
Jo

Grace Kew said...

It looks delectable! Wish I have 1 slice for my dessert now. :(

Sonia, may I ask can I use bottled lemon juice to substitute fresh lemon juice?

Thank you.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jo, I got it at a bakery shop where they have repack into small pkt so I didn't know what brand , they just wrote as Japanese green tea powder

Grace, I am not sure ya, you can use cream of tartar if you have .

Unknown said...

Hi sonia.. Love ur recipe blog.. I wAnt to try the chiffon cake but i do not have a scAle.. Can please do a cup measurements of the chiffon cake recipe.. So i can try it out.. I be very greatful .. Thank u.. Have a great day

Chia Hann C said...

Sonia, thanks for your recipe. Taste good for the sponge cake. I substitute the decoration with ready buttercreme.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What a lovely cake! :) Can you advise if I need to grease the sides of the cake tin or not? Many thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous, no don't need to grease the sides of cake tin, and also use a NOT non stick black baking tin but just a normal white aluminium cake tin.

Anonymous said...

My cake concaved in from the bottom . No idea why and also the cake top cracked and it just didn't look right even though tasted nice. Any ideas why? Thanks

Isabelle Lim said...

Dear Sonia.
Love your blog.
I believe this cake frosting needs to be kept in the fridge.
Please advise.

Jacqui

Unknown said...

May I know what does the three batches in step 2 mean?? (Sorry as I'm totally new in baking :D) does it mean divide those flour to add in three times?? Orr triple of the measurement needed to add into?? Ur fast reply would be much appreciated :)

Stacey

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Stacey, it means divide those flour and add into 3 times, so it can be easily mix well.

ythenggg said...

Thank you so much for ur help! :) and ur blog is really great :) Cheers

Mel said...

Hi Sonia, it's a beautiful matcha cake will try later on this as my daughter is also a fan of matcha. That's a very nice cake stand . Where did you buy it from?

Julia said...

Hi! I want to thank you for this recipe. I have just tried it for my birthday and the cake was simply fantastic. The problem with sponge cakes is that often they are too crumbly and dry but this one is perfectly moist and soft. I have added more matcha powder to mine because I wanted to make it super green. Thanks a lot again. :) Greetings from Poland!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin