Fried Hokkian Mee Hoon (Rice Vermicelli)
400g (1 packet) Mee Hoon/Rice Vermicelli, soaked and drained
200g cabbage, shredded (you may replace with Choy Sum (Mustard Green)
300g bean sprouts, washed and drained
1 medium carrot, shredded
2pcs fish cake, sliced
200g fresh shrimps
4 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
450ml water (you may adjust according to your type/brand of Rice Vermicelli)
2tbsp light soy sauce
1tbsp dark soy sauce
2tsp salt or to taste
A dash of white pepper powder
Garnishing- fried shallots
1. Heat a wok over high flame, sauté chopped garlic and shallots golden brown.
2. Add in prawn and fish cake stir fry for a while.
3. Add in water, cabbage and carrot, cook till water boiled. Add in seasonings.
4. Toss in the rice vermicelli and bean sprouts, quickly stir fry and simmer till all ingredients are cooked and mix well.
5. Garnish with fried shallots, serve warm.
My note: do not soak rice vermicelli in hot water, just soak in normal tap water till soften (not too long, few minutes). The important step here is to simmer the rice vermicelli in seasoning water till rice vermicelli soak all the seasoning, resulted a flavourful of fried rice vermicelli. Usually I like to add cabbage than choy sum (mustard green) as cabbage tasted sweet and crispy, while choy sum a bit too hard for kid to chew once cooked.
Happy Cooking !!