Rhubarb is new to me, i first saw in Quay Po's blog, when Quay Lo (her husband) guest post and introduced Rhubarb..Quay Po (Veron) was so kind gave me some Rhubarb to try (Thank you so much to Veron!!), she got this via a special order to a nearby supermarket because it is quite hard to find here..After kept in the fridge for few months (sorry Veron, because i was try to figure out what to make ^^), finally i decided to use Rhubarb make into desserts..
This is the Rhubarb that Quay Po gave me, for me, it look like celery..it taste sour when i tasted it raw. She also taught me to cut into small pieces and add some sugar as to store in freezer for later usage...
First, I use Rhubarb make into Rhubard mousse and serve with mango mousse and yogurt...this was very yummy, refreshing and good!
Later i made into Rhubarb compote (sauce) to serve with Avocado ice-cream which I saw in Gloria (Canela Kitchen), and i replaced strawberry with Rhubarb compote. This is another hit in my family!
The good thing of this ice-cream is don't need to make using an ice-cream maker.. This ice-cream is creamy, smooth and yummy!
Avocado ice-cream with Rhubarb compote
(recipe source: Avocado ice-cream adapted from Canela Kitchen, making my own Rhubarb compote)
2 ripe avocados pitted, peel and mashed
140g caster sugar
1/2cup hot water
1cup whipping cream (dairy)
A pinch of salt
1 lime or lemon, extract juices
1. To make syrup by dissolve sugar in hot water, set aside to cool.
2. Blend mashed avocado, lime juices, salt and syrup till puree.
3. Beat whipping cream till thick, combine cream and avocado mixture till well combine.
4. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. After the first hour beat and freeze again (i did not followed this step). Take out from freezer before 15mins then only serve, because the ice-cream is hard to spoon out.
1. Cut Rhubarb into 1” pieces.
2. Combine water and Rhubarb in a heavy bottom pot to a boil.
3. Add sugar and simmer until pulpy and thickened, stir from time to time and take about 5-7mins.
4. Taste, you may want to add more sugar.
Thanks to Gloria, this Avocado ice-cream is super yummy, my kids love it so much. In fact, i'm going to make Avocado ice-cream again today, this time i will prepare strawberry compote instead..