This buns was special requested by my husband who love coconut buns..
We prefer white coconut filling (use white sugar) more than brown coconut filling (use brown sugar or palm sugar)
(recipe source: buns with Tangzhong method adapted from Honey Bee Sweet, coconut filling from My Kitchen Snippets, with minor changes)
*makes 20 buns
430g fresh grated coconut
50g of palm sugar (gula Melaka) – cut into chunks
130g coarse white sugar
2 tsp of cornstarch + 2 tsp water
1. Cook the palm sugar, white sugar and water until sugar dissolved.
2. Add in the grated coconut, stir and cook until almost dry, then add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until the mixture thickens. Set it aside to cool.
45g bread flour
Whisk the bread flour and the water together in a heat proof saucepan. Heat the mixture at low heat till it thickens and ribbons stage.
1 Tangzhong dough
400g bread flour
100g all purpose flour
1 large egg
80g caster sugar
2tsp instant active yeast + 2tbsp lukewarm water
60ml fresh milk
60g unsalted butter, room temperature
1. Knead everything together except for the butter. Knead till the dough is no sticky. Add in the butter and continue to knead till it passes the window test. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes on stand mixer.
2. Let the dough proof covered for 1.5hrs or till double in volume. Punch out the air and let divide into 20 equal portions (50g each). Roll round and let rest for 10 minutes before shaping.
3. Grease the baking tin / pan and preheat the oven to 180C.
4. Flatten the dough and fill it with coconut filling (30g). Place all finished buns on a greased baking sheet, and let rise for 30mins.
5. Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle some grated coconut on it. Then bake in the oven for 25-30mins or until golden brown.
6. Once baked, remove from oven and remove from the pan and let cool completely before serving.
At the same time, I would like to thanks to Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home)who highlighted to me a "no manners person" steal my photo and recipe (an example of my original recipe and photo). This is not the first website that copied my posts, but those at least link back to my blog (they just copy and paste the photo and recipe). But this time, this "no manners person", take my photo, trim to smaller size, write a simple message, made minor changes to my recipe, and turned to become her/his post!!
I cooked, took photos and spent time posting my recipes, but this "no manners person" just take the credit, this is teribble! I feel like want to close my blog...
To my blogger friends, please go and check this site, your photos and recipes might be stolen too. I going to complaint this case to DMCA.