If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Saltimbocca (Beef roll with sage leaf)


This was the 1st time I use sage leaf in the cooking. I tried this recipe as seen in Flavours food magazine, this is how they described Saltimbocca -Popular in Rome, this dish is usually served with a salad and boiled potatoes for dinner. You can also vary the ingredients to make a vegetarian version, replacing thinly sliced eggplant for the beef and stuff the roll with parsley, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.




sage leaf


Saltimbocca (Beef roll with sage leaf)


Picnik collage


Picnik collage


Saltimbocca (Beef roll with sage leaf)





Saltimbocca (Beef roll with sage leaf)
(recipe source: adapted from Flavours Food Magazine-Tasting Italy-Oct 2009)
*makes 12pcs

Saltimbocca (Beef roll with sage leaf)12pcs of beef tenderloin slices
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 slices ham, slice into equal size of beef
30g butter
3tbsp Olive oil
Sage leaves

Method
1. Gently pound the beef slices to flatten into thin slices.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lay a piece of ham and sage leaf on top of the beef.
4. Roll and secure with toothpick.
5. In a frying pan, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
6. Add 4 sage leaves. Place the beef rolls in the pan and cook until lightly browned.
7. Remove and serve immediately, topped with a sage leaf.



We enjoyed Saltimbocca with mashed potatoes and fresh cherry. Love the fragrant of sage leaf, next time i will  try to use sage leaf to roast a chicken..

Saltimbocca (Beef roll with sage leaf)

35 comments:

Small Kucing said...

delicoous mouthwatering bites

Ana Regalado said...

That looks great ! I'll bet it taste delicious , too ;)

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Yummy...definitely will try on it :)

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Looks like a very nice entree, like how you presented them like restaurant style but I can only look look coz I dont eat beef, hahaha. What a waste coz Australia is famous for its beef!My friends who have visited Australia always want to try out beef,hmmm!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

配搭得真美
看起来真可口:)

yummylittlecooks said...

Looks so delicious!!

温馨小屋 said...

卖相好好~~ 看了好像可以一下吃很多个~~

shaz said...

Looks like a really simple party food!

ann low said...

Very nice presentation makes me want to eat more if this is right in front of me :)

Jeannie said...

Very nicely done, I like trying recipes from Flavors magazine too....their recipes are often do-able.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Soooooooooooooo tempting...

Mel said...

delicious looking beef roll... serve as a finger food.

Anonymous said...

Looks very delicious and will try out using chicken as I don't eat beef Sonia:)

Taste of Saras Kitchen
http://bsaraswathy.blogspot.com/

Li Shuan said...

Very nice beef roll with a special name- Saltimbocca. Restaurant standard ohh... I want to eat !

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Wow, this is great!

Little blue said...

How the sage taste? I haven't try it before~~~

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

These rolls look very tasty! I like the presentation too.

Sherleen.T said...

very attractive presentation, sonia...this make the dinner super appetizing...:)

Unknown said...

This delicious dish I could only see, cannot try (as I can't eat beef).. hehe

Julie said...

Lovely bites..
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

gertrude said...

I like sage too in roast chicken. It is better to plant it yourself so you can use it anytime you want. If you want I can bring home some seeds for you. Let me know.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good! Sage is very good in roast chicken, really fragrant.

daphne said...

I am a fan of sage leaves for sure!! Love this idea- so cute and great for gatherings as well.

Pete said...

Good finger food for parties....yum!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Great dish for coming Christmas party :) Love the fragrant from sage!

sean said...

sonia,
你真的是个巧思的妈咪。
点子都很棒!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I also don't use sage too often, maybe I have used 2-3 times which I don't even remember what I cooked with. It's nice to have another sage recipe here. I know where to check in case I get a big bag of sage next time!

Lady G said...

This dish looks so fancy, perfect as hors d'oeuvres.

Ling's Passion said...

This is good for cocktail party.

kitchen flavours said...

This is definitely something new to me! Looks wonderful! I love sage leaves! Have a nice day!

lena said...

never done anything with sage . This will look very attractive on the plate for serving!

Shu Han said...

looks very restaurant worthy!

Lori said...

Those are so pretty! Not only do they look great, but they are interesting enough to be a conversation starter for a party. Yum!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, I see you trying your hands on Western dishes! KUDOS to you! You are truly A Kitchen Goddess:D

tigerfish said...

Me too! Have not tried cooking with sage before though I know it is quite a popular herb to use.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin