If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, November 14, 2011

Red Bean Pau (steamed buns)

Red bean Pau (steamed buns)

Usually when i cook red bean dessert soup, my kids just drink soup and left out the red bean. As not to waste food, i save the cooked red bean and add more sugar and continue cook to become thick red bean paste. So i made this red bean Pau (steaming bun) using the homemade red bean paste..




I seldom buy red bean pau from outside store, because very high sugar content..Love the homemade red bean paste, the right sweetness that suit our taste.

Red bean Pau (steamed buns)


Red bean Pau (steamed buns)


Red bean Pau (steamed buns)


Red bean Pau (steamed buns)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

Red bean Pau (steamed buns)350g Hong Kong flour
1/4tsp salt
1 and 1/2tsp instant yeast
60g caster sugar
160ml-180ml water
2tbsp Crisco shortening

400g red bean paste (I use homemade)

Method
1. Weight red bean paste 40g and lightly shape into ball. Set aside.
Mix yeast with 1tbsp lukewarm water, set aside for 5mins.
2. Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl except shortening and combine well.
3. Add shortening and knead till dough became smooth and no sticky to hands.
4. Cover with damp cloth and rest for 60mins.
5. Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
6. Weigh out 50 gm of dough and roughly shape into a ball and rest for 10mins.
7. Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place red bean ball onto the center, wrap and pleat up the sides and seal.
8. Place the pau (pleat area face down) onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 10-15 mins.
9. Steam the pau under rapidly boiling water on high heat for about 10 to 12 mins.
10. Remove from steamer and serve, hot.
11. Store in the fridge for left over pau, steam again before serve.



Red bean Pau (steamed buns)

46 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

是的
自己在家做红豆馅可以控制糖量
比较好:)

yummylittlecooks said...

Homemade filling are the best.Your red bean paus looks so yummy!

Li Shuan said...

Sonia, good idea, left over beans from soup still can make some other dim sum. very clever. Ioorr, I missed red and black bean buns. Yum!

Unknown said...

Nothing equalize home made preparation. Love your buns. They really sounds yumm. BTW, the one(Looks like, made up of bamboo sticks) which you used for steaming, may I know the name of it?

Diane said...

You always have such interesting recipes. Diane

Small Kucing said...

Yours looks so yummy. The other day i used the prepacked red bean paste, the pau turns out too sweet eventhough i used low sugar. Hmmm...looks ike have to make own paste again

jehanne@thecookingdoctor said...

this is so spooky, i actually made paos yesterday! slightly different recipe, and used chicken filling instead, but will certainly post mine up soon;-)..your buns look so snowy white!

Mindy said...

yum yum, red bean pau, nice to eat when it's steaming hot ^^

Three-Cookies said...

Nice recycling:) Your kids thought they could avoid the red beans but you hid it in a bun:)

ann low said...

Yes, homemade is the best. Healthy and delicious for sure :)

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Homemade red bean paste is the best, your pau looks very nice too!

Julie said...

Healthy filling n delicious dumplings..
Do try n participate in the
Ongoing Event- Christmas Delicacy(15Nov-31Dec 2011)

Federica Simoni said...

meravigliosi! complimenti!!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I am surprised your kids leave out the red beans. I thought that was the best part :) I love tar sau bao. This will be so good with some Chinese tea.

divya said...

looks delicious... fabulous recipe..

Shu Han said...

wow i love that every part of this pau is homemade. hehe funny, when i was young, my siblings and I will also only drink the soup. now that i'm older, i love the beans!

Pushpa said...

Perfect and delicious.

Jo said...

My fav and this looks yummy! The paus are chock full of red bean which still has texture in it. Would have love one for my breakfast right now ... sigh!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Wish that i have a piece for my breakfast right now, haha...

Cuisine Paradise said...

I love red bean bun and i can have 2 or 3 at 1 go. Emmm now i can try your recipe and make some at home too :)

Victor said...

I love these sweet red bean buns, I always eat at least 3 when my mom bakes them.

Belly Good Cooking said...

Great idea on saving up the red beans.:)) And the pau buns look great too!

Dmarie said...

these look delish!!

HL H said...

My kids also doesn't like the red beans, they just want the soap only.
Your red bean pau look very nice, especially the red bean, still can see the skin, I like the red bean with the skin, not so smooth but can feel some crunchy effect.

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

These paus look so good. I am adding this to my to-bake list..thanks for sharing.

Little blue said...

I like eat red bean bun just take out from steamer...this week is busy week for me, so come and take away for my afternoon tea!! hehe...

Jane Chew said...

Your pao looks so nice and tempted. Especially the red bean paste. This is a good idea. Learn something new frm u today. Tq teacher :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Definitely go for the homemade bean filling...so much healthier and fresher. Love those buns.

Prema said...

wow home made pau,i used to have this but i dont know this can be made at home.thanks for sharing the recipe...

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Let me tell you my love of red bean snack is grater than...I don't know, but I love it like crazy. These red bean buns look absolutely delicious Sonia and it is really a torture for me to look at them. I was one time considering to buy Japanese bread maker which makes nice buns for my red bean buns...hehehee.. now I'm reconsidering it. Until I can make it everything from scratch...

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Your paus are all so evenly shaped! And none of filling burst out from the dough... Really skilled!

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

The evenly prepared red bean bau looks delicious and tasty

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Uma, that is the Chinese bamboo steaming tray, like those serve in dim sum restaurant, mine is bigger size, no any special name..

茵茵 said...

Yummy yummy! Red bean is definitely one of my all time favourite! I love homemade red bean paste and I agree those bought ones are extremely sweet.Oh dear, I am drooling already....

Unknown said...

I am opposite, I love the red bean instead of the soup ^_^

daphne said...

yum! I need to make paos again! Haven't master it yet and yours look so fluffy and nice. Good to make own red bean paste as you can control amount of sugar in it too.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, got any leftovers ar? hehe

FaithHopeLove said...

Thanks for sharing this. Now I can save my red bean for making the paste~ Not wasting my food anymore~

kavis said...

Oh my,those pau looks so delicious.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great! You are very hard working. ;)

lena said...

wished i cld have some for breakfast now..

Cheah said...

Yes, I agree with you, homemade buns to suit our palate, not too sweet.

Food Processor said...

Delicious one!!great recipe.I just want to taste it..

Ee Laine Yeoh said...

I just made these, they are so good! I've never made Chinese-style steamed buns before and your instructions were easy to follow. Thanks for contributing to my successful baking/steaming afternoon :)

sugar said...

Hi, is it possible to make the pao soft without shortening cisco? Thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sugar, is possible without adding shortening which i slowly omit this artificial shortening. You may find few of my latest pau recipe without using shortening.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin