Usually when i cook red bean dessert soup, my kids just drink soup and left out the red bean. As not to waste food, i save the cooked red bean and add more sugar and continue cook to become thick red bean paste. So i made this red bean Pau (steaming bun) using the homemade red bean paste..
I seldom buy red bean pau from outside store, because very high sugar content..Love the homemade red bean paste, the right sweetness that suit our taste.
Red bean Pau (steamed buns)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
350g Hong Kong flour
1 and 1/2tsp instant yeast
60g caster sugar
2tbsp Crisco shortening
400g red bean paste (I use homemade)
1. Weight red bean paste 40g and lightly shape into ball. Set aside.
Mix yeast with 1tbsp lukewarm water, set aside for 5mins.
2. Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl except shortening and combine well.
3. Add shortening and knead till dough became smooth and no sticky to hands.
4. Cover with damp cloth and rest for 60mins.
5. Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
6. Weigh out 50 gm of dough and roughly shape into a ball and rest for 10mins.
7. Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place red bean ball onto the center, wrap and pleat up the sides and seal.
8. Place the pau (pleat area face down) onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 10-15 mins.
9. Steam the pau under rapidly boiling water on high heat for about 10 to 12 mins.
10. Remove from steamer and serve, hot.
11. Store in the fridge for left over pau, steam again before serve.