When i saw Shirely Kokken69 shared this Barcook's popular out-of-the-oven-this-minute-gone-next Raisin/Cranberry Cream Cheese bun, i was curious how the taste as i never eaten this famous bun before. After few days, while i fetching my kids from tuition class, we dropped by this famous bakery shop nearby the tuition centre(as i always saw a lot of peoples inside this bakery shop, so i supposed this shop is popular among the local). While i went through what to buy, i spot this cranberry cream cheese bun and it remind me Shirley Kokken69's post, immediately i buy one and try out. I immediate fall in love with this bun, it was so yummy, soft and fluffy bun , and i also love the cream cheese filling, simply yummy. The shape of this bun is like normal round bun and it look difference from Barcook's bun which is flat bun.
I immediately try out Shirley's recipe to see her recipe is close to the bun which i tasted. But i realized that the cream cheese filling shared by Shirley was totally difference from what i tasted. Her cream cheese filling is more on custard taste and look yellow..but that filling i tasted was totally cream cheese taste and look pale in colour. This the bun that using Shirley's recipe..
This is the bun that i bought from bakery shop.....pale in colour, light and fluffy..
but the next day turned quite oily and sticky..not as nice as taken the same day..i guess their recipe adding too much of butter/oil..
I did not give up, try again with another batch with my own creation of cream cheese filling (i was tried hard to recall the taste)..and I was so happy that the my creation of cream cheese filling was almost the same taste as that one i bought. And i also adjust the oven temperature and bake at lower rack as the bun i bought was pale in colour unlike the normal bun with egg wash and look golden brown.
This is how my cranberry cream cheese look like...
I adapted the sweet bread dough recipe from the "magic bread" cookbook by Alex Goh. I like his gelatinezed dough method which simply mix flour and hot boiling water and keep till the next day (i was kept it for 48hrs). I find that his bread making method is good, resulted a soft and springy bun, and also remains very soft on the 2nd day . Also do not over add the dried cranberries and raisin, few pieces are enough.
Cranberry Cream Cheese Soft Buns
(recipe source: basic sweet bread dough adapted from Magic Bread cookbook by Alex Goh, cream cheese filling by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 12 buns (3” round paper liners)
100g bread flour
70g hot boiling water
1. Place flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.
3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge for at least 12 hour, and up to 48 hours.
To prepare Basic sweet bread dough
1 quantity of above gelatinised dough
300g bread flour
100g plain flour
20g milk powder
1 tbsp instant yeast
½ tsp salt
175g cold water
1 cold grade A egg
60g cold butter, cubed
1. Combine flours, sugar, milk powder, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl.
2. Tear the gelatinized dough into pieces and add to the bowl along with the eggs
3. Using a stand electric mixer, mix on low speed, adding cold water gradually.
4. Mix until dough is well combined and leave the sides of bowl.
5. Add in the cold butter cubes and mix on medium speed until dough is smooth.
6. Shape dough into a ball, leave to proof for 40mins or until doubled.
160g cream cheese
- Beat cream cheese and sugar till creamy and light, set aside. If not using immediately, keep it in the fridge.
Dried cranberries, 48pcs (4pcs per bun), soaked in water for 30mins to soften
Raisins, 24pcs (2pcs per bun), soaked in water for 30mins to soften
To make bun
1. Divide bread dough into 12 portions (75g each) and shape to ball, rest for 10mins.
2. Spread the cream cheese filling (appx.1tbsp), sprinkle cranberries and raisins on top (do not put too many), seal the dough, place on the paper cup, set aside to rest for 40mins.
3. Don't need to apply egg wash. Bake at pre-heated 160c for 25mins at lower rack / 3rd lower rack.
I wish to try out Barcook's popular bun one day as to compare the taste..I going to bake this bun again and again, and next time i going to try out flat bun shape like Barcook's bun..
Happy Baking !!