If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼



This is another work under 吃饱饭没事做 (Having nothing better to do after being fed). I just like to try out making this "Tau Sha Piah" even i can easily buy this from the outside shops...when this biscuit hot came out from oven, it tastes like the one which is selling in the shop as it is very flaky and smells good !





Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼


But, the tedious steps, repeat the rolling steps for each of the small biscuit..

Picnik collage


Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼


Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼


Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼


Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼



Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼
(recipe source: as seen in Jane’s corner who adapted from 安琪玲的天空)

Filling
400g peeled mung beans (soaked overnight, steamed and mashed),
1 1/2tsp white pepper
2tsp salt
250g fine sugar

Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼100g cooking oil, 10 shallots (sliced thinly)

Dough A (oil dough)
125g flour
35g shortening
35g cooking oil

Dough B (water dough)
250g sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp fine sugar
65g shortening
120-130ml water

Method
Filling
1. Combine sugar, salt, and mashed beans in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Heat oil in wok or pan. Stir-fry the shallots till fragrant and lightly browned, removed fried shallot and chopped into small pcs and grind it, set aside for later use.
3. Stir in the bean mixture, stir-fry on low heat till it becomes dry and able to form a ball.
4. Remove from heat and stir in fried shallots. Cool completely, divide and shape filling into 34 equal portion balls (around 20-22g).

To make Tau Sha Piah
1. Prepare dough A and B separately using the same method. Bring together all ingredients for each dough, mix well and knead to form soft dough. Cover and let them rest for 20 minutes. Divide and shape each dough into 34 equal portion balls.
2. Wrap dough A with dough B. Roll it out into long rectangle shape. Then roll up the dough like the swiss roll. Repeat this step twice.
3. Roll it out into a circle and place the filling at the center. Bring all edges together and pinch to seal.
4. Egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 180 degree C for 20 minutes or till golden brown.


Homemade Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits) 豆沙饼


Think twice before you want to try this out, find one day you are really free and nothing to do..very tedious steps indeed..I will also think twice before I will make this again, hehehe....

57 comments:

ping said...

Move over Ghee Heang and Him Heang!! Here comes Sonia!! These are beautifully made, Sonia. Better than some commercial ones I must say. My mum will love me to bits if I could make her these. I guess I will attempt them one day when I have more time on my hands. I'm going to say this again ... beautiful!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

i'm early again today!!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

yours is so nice, if I were to make, won't b so nice liao...

Bakeling said...

Your tau sha piah looks good but it will be even better if I can taste them now !

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hahaha, love how you categorize this as nothing better to do item bake! But you sure did a great job....looks as good as those selling outside!

Bo said...

Never heard of these....I'd love to try them.

cik cek said...

kak cek suka kuih ni...thanks for sharing this nice recipe...kak cek amik dulu ya...mana tau kot2 rajin boleh buat nanti...:)

Radhika said...

This is entirely new to me. Mung beans in biscuits. Love the way the entire recipe is done.

Ana Regalado said...

I'll bet yours better ;D We have this of pastry back home , it's called "hopia" and also here in hk but I haven't tried it yet or maybe I'd already tried it but with different filling :P :D

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

My favourite. Can finish at least 10 of em'....sniff sniff must be very nice aroma out from the stove.

sawaNiLa said...

i love this kuih... maybe i should to make this one day...
tq for sharing :)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

I remember having these kuih at my friend's house during Chinese New Year..It was very long back and have forgotten the taste. Thanks for bring back those cherish able moments Sonia.

Dumpling Love said...

Ooo these look so good! These are one of my favourites. I always want to try make it myself, but like you said must find a day when I am VERY free! haha.

WendyinKK said...

Hmm... do we get to try this one day? I hope you make these when we meet up again, hahaha!

Jeannie said...

Wow! Really looks like store bought, so nice! But as you said I shall think twice or even trice :P

Li Shuan said...

you admit that u 吃饱没事做 haha!Nevermind la sometimes just want to enjoy the process of making things that we have never experienced before. I bet you must be very proud that you have successfully completed this task and they turned out well. hehe Well done!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tau sha piah. Well done n can smell it from my home

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

lovely tau sar piah, like the second photo very much, great job!

Small Kucing said...

Salute you lar...so much work leh and yet you can do :)

Sherleen.T said...

although making tau sha piah taken super long time, you have done it so well...they look delicious and great :)

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

This has been in my to-bake list for quite sometime. Yours look store-bought piah, so pro! Well done.

Unknown said...

I don't mind kneading and rolling.. but for the filling, I hv phobia, I just cant get a smooth mung bean.

Little blue said...

Same with me~~~I also 吃饱没事做...made some cookies and play with my kids! I like this dragon balls...

Rachel Hei said...

i think i will not think to make this..haha... i admit got no patient on making this one.. great job Sonia。^^

daphne said...

oh my goodness!! you are amazing!! So much patient in shaping and making these little gems! Oh i wish i can pop one into my mouth now! Sonia, i'm so impressed.

Min said...

Well done, Sonia! You did well lo :) I used to buy this tau sha piah everytime I go Penang, I think I 'm too lazy to make this at home, hehe.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hi Sonia, I really miss this yummy tau sha piah. Love the colour! The 2nd picture reminds me of the peanut cookies that we normally eat during CNY, the ones that will melt in mouth one, do you have that recipe? This one won't be "laku" in my house, so I can only appreciate here.

Yee Er said...

aiyo, make me laugh everytime i saw ur ‘吃饱没事做’written in ur post. Well, at least u r honest rather those who like to pretent they are busy but the actual fact is they are not.
Ur tau sha piah really looks like those store bought one, thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

I wanna learn this! Those from Penang getting very commercialized and flaky :(

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

看到成品
一切都是值得的:)

ann low said...

This looks better than the store bought. Thumbs Up!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks so cute and yummy! Hahaha, I totally understand what you meant by think twice before attempting it again, 6 years had passed and I have yet to make another batch. :D

Elisabeth said...

Such perfectly rolled little yummy biscuits. Really tedious, but if you're an expert...such as yourself, Sonia, you can make these amazing, as you have done so!

mycookinghut said...

Wow! You are really talented! I love your tau she piah!

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

Looks similar to the steps of making spiral mooncake with 2 dough.. Nice.. I love tau sah piah.. can eat non stop

YHL said...

Yes Sonia we love tausa piah.
if i made this, hb has to keep reminding the kids don't finish all, mummy may like to have some too.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Looks tasty!

Julie said...

Fantastic and lovely idea!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
Erivum Puliyum

Christina Kim said...

Hahaha, Sonia, I am really impressed with your enthusiasm and efforts to make these!!:) Well, sometimes you have to do something like these to discover that, hey, you can really do it;)
You may be the next Ghee Heang or Him Heang (famous producers of the above Tau Sar Pneah), I won't be surprised:D

Sem said...

Hi, I think this must have taste must better than store bought.I'm drooling over the picture.

Christine's Pantry said...

Never heard of these. Sounds good. Will have to try this soon.

lena said...

is this the same as tambun biscuit? though it takes lots of time to do this, it's always satisfying and worth the effort if they turn out good as these!

Unknown said...

This is my favourite! Will try to bake one day. I like flaky crust n yellow filling tau sa piah :)

cocoeriley said...

Wow..amazing, Sonia. Tambun pia, I like it.

My Little Space said...

Haha...真的是吃饱饭没事做!But I'm planning to make this next week to bring home to my parents't place. I know lots of work but cab't wait to let my family to try the homemade version.
Hope you're enjoying the holiday.
Kristy

Mel said...

So beautifully done. So much like the store bought and of course, homemade is always good. You can do and bake everything.

kitchen flavours said...

Looks wonderful! I love to eat this with a cup of Chinese Tea.
Have a great weekend, Sonia!

Angie's Recipes said...

I go brew some tea and you come over for a cup? Don't forget bring some of those biscuits together with you. ;-)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

OMG Sonia, this looks SO GOOD! How long do they last in your house even if you put it in your jar? If I make this I think it won't last a day....

divya said...

Wow this looks interesting and tempting...thanks for sharing

tigerfish said...

吃饱饭没事做??? At least you did something constructive and delicious.

Anonymous said...

You are a superb lady and your kids are so fortunate.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I tried this tar sha piah this morning and it was a success.
My only concern is why is the filling so green? Is mung bean the same as green bean?

Unknown said...

can I substitute shortening with any type of butter. I live in australia and there is no shop selling shortening

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favourites. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

These look great! Looking at the filling ingredients (since I haven't converted your metric to U.S. measurements, I can't tell whether this is the savory kind or the more sweet version. I'd love to try to make these since I have no access to purchasing these here in the U.S. Please let me know if these are more savory or more sweet. Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

You are amazing!!! This looks soooo good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin