The other day when i bought two bundles of Chinese baby spinach from the usual stall at the market, not sure why the boss gave me extra one bundles for free (maybe due to i am their loyal customer ^_^). With this extra spinach, i immediately decided to make this pie that i saw from the Food & Travel magazine (i bought this magazine because Nami Just One Cookbook was one of the recipe contributor).
After i eaten a very nice Borek during my trip to Queen Victoria Market Melbourne, i have been thinking to try the similar filling that using spinach and cheese..I prefer savoury pie more than sweet pie..
I am glad that this pie turned out so good, love the flaky and crumbly crust , and yummy spinach and cheese filling!
using my new pastry cutter to work the pastry..
I use Chinese baby spinach
also my first time bought feta cheese
again first time using fresh ground nutmeg (bought this during Penang trip the other day)
preparing the filling
Original recipe is using wholemeal but i was running out of this so i replaced with plain flour. The original recipe ask to roll the pastry to big square but it was difficult to handle and i changed to work with small portion of pastry.
Spinach, Feta and Potato Pies 菠菜乳酪马铃薯派
(recipe source: adapted from Food and Travel magazine that recipe from Pie cookbook by Dean Brettschneider, with minor changes)
*makes 7 pies
For the pastry
280g plain flour, plus extra for dusting (or 140g wholemeal + 140g plain flour)
85g cold butter, diced
100ml milk, if needed
For the filling
1 small US Russet potato, peeled and diced
100ml heavy cream
100g feta, crumbled
100g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated fresh nutmeg
For the egg wash
1 egg, beaten with 1tbsp water
1. To make the pastry, rub the flours together with the butter and shortening until it is the texture of breadcrumbs, then work in the milk (you may not need it all) until the pastry comes together. Lightly combine the pastry until soft. Press the pastry into a flat and round disc and chill for 1hr while you make the filling.
2. Boil the potato for 10mins until cooked, then drain.
3. Blanch spinach in hot water, drain and squeeze out all the liquid.
4. Mix spinach, potato, cream, feta, egg, and 2/3 cheddar. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5. Divide pastry into 7 portions, roll out the pastry to appx 13cm x 13cm with appx 3mm thickness.
6. Spoon the spinach mix into the centre of each square. Bring all four corners together over the filling, pinching the edges together to make a sealed purse with the pinched edges facing up. Brush each with egg wash, then top with remaining cheddar.
7. Bake at preheated oven at 200C for 30mins or until golden.
I will definitely make this again !!