With few ingredients but resulted great taste, this recipe definitely a keeper !
My son Lucas even stuffed the cooked meat with sandwich, and he said it was heavenly delicious ^_^
Chinese Spareribs with shallots 紅葱烤排(recipe source: reference made to cookbook titled 60 Chinese home cooked dishes, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
900g prime pork spareribs1/3cup light soy sauce
1tbsp Chinese cooking rice wine
2pcs star anise10-15 shallots (depend on the size), removed skin and lightly crushed
3 slices ginger
2 cup water
3tbsp cooking oil
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1tsp dark soy sauce or dark caramel soy sauce
1/2tbsp rock sugar or to taste
Some chopped shallots for garnishing
- Wash and clean pork spareribs, pat dry with kitchen towels. Marinate with light soy sauce and cooking wine for several hours in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot, add in shallots and sauté till brown and aroma. Add in pork spareribs, lightly fry till both sides turned golden brown.
- Add water, light soy sauce (from marinated sauce), dark soy sauce, ginger and star anise into the pot, boil over high heat. Once boiled, reduce to low heat, continue to braise for about 1hr ( check from time to time and stir the ribs ).
- Once the meat is fork tendered, add in the rock sugar and adjust the taste by adding salt or more rock sugar.
- Turn on to high heat to thicken the sauce if any, otherwise dish out and garnish with chopped shallots, serve with rice, sandwich or noodles.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake at this post.