Finally I took out a packet of dried rice noodles that have been sitting for too long in the pantry. It was brought back from last Bangkok trip. Since it still looks good (can't see the expiry date), so no think twice, I quickly cook this popular Thai style fried rice noodles- Pad Thai.
I learned how to cook Pad Thai from this lady at the Floating market..
This was the best Pad Thai I have ever eaten. After tried few times in other restaurants in Bangkok and local Thai restaurant, i still couldn't find one to beat with her yummy Pad Thai.
Actually it requires quite a lot of ingredients to cook this noodles
Recently i gotten a good cast iron wok to work for all stir fry and deep fry foods. It is so easy to use and after 1 month of using it, it turned to non-stick, perfectly for stir fry noodles, like "Tai Chow"..Next time i share with you how to "season" a cast iron wok and how to maintain this wok.
How to enjoy this noodle? simply mix it up together, and squeeze some lime juices on it, then enjoy !
Pad Thai (Thai style fried rice noodles)(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
165g Thai dried rice noodles100g bean sprouts
30g chives, cut 1" length
15g carrot, shredded
1/2pc firm tofu, deep fried and sliced
3 shallots, chopped
50g preserved radish (Choy Poh), chopped
Sauce ingredients1tbsp white sugar or brown sugar
15g tamarind paste, dissolved in 1/4cup water
1/2tsp dark soy sauce
1 1/2tsp fish sauce
20g roasted peanutsLimes wedges
1tbsp chili flakes
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir well to mix.
- Add in dried rice noodles into boiling water and turn heat to medium low (take about 3mins to soften).
- At the same time, heat oil in a wok, sauté chopped shallots till aroma.
- Add in prawns, stir fry till colour changed. Then add in chopped preserved radish and carrot, stir to mix well.
- Push the prawn mixture to a side, add little oil, then add in egg, scramble the egg.
- Drain the rice noodles and add into the wok, mix well with other ingredients, pour in the sauce, fry and toss the noodles to well mix. Taste-test for seasoning, adding more fish sauce until desired flavor is reached.
- Add in bean sprouts, chives and fried tofu, continue to frying or until noodles are cooked.
- Dish out, and top with roasted peanuts, lime wedges and chili flakes.