If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Rosemary and Lemon Roasted Chicken 迷迭香柠檬烤鸡

I made this roasted chicken when I organized a family gathering at my house during Valentine's day and Cap Goh Mei. So it was a super busy day by preparing 2 roasted chickens, mushroom soup, crab meat salad with Miso and carrot dressing, Italian focaccia, tomato spaghetti and also made two heart shape chiffon cakes (you can view these pictures in my Instagram account). I worked like a maid on this romantic Valentine's day !! Anyway I was happy to see all enjoyed the foods that I have prepared.




From day one I started roasted a chicken, I only used these two ingredients, lemon and rosemary. I think next time I should give other herbs a chance, hehehe..

 

 
This roasted chicken was well received by my family ..
 
The first recipe I adapted was from Happy Home Baking. After made it many times, and also refer to few other recipes online, I have adjusted the roasted chicken that suit to our taste.
 

Rosemary and Lemon Roasted Chicken迷迭香柠檬烤鸡
*make 2 birds of chickens
2 birds of chickens (~2kg each)
1tbsp – 1 1/2tbsp sea salt, for outside skin
1tsp sea salt, for inside cavity
2 lemons, grated zest
10g fresh rosemary, chopped
White pepper
Method
  1. Mix lemon zest, salt, chopped rosemary in a mixing bowl, set aside.
  2. Rub the seasoning mixture over the chicken (outside skin), and rub salt inside the cavity.
  3. Leave the chicken to marinate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours (I keep for overnight without cover in the fridge).
  4. Remove chicken from fridge and let it rest in room temperature for at least 30 mins so that it will cook evenly.
  5. If you are using potatoes, peel and cut the potatoes into quarters. Put them into a pot of water with a pinch of salt together with the whole lemon. Bring to a boil and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Toss the potatoes with some salt and freshly grounded black pepper.
  6. Stuff the rosemary stem inside the cavity then tuck cooked lemon ( you can also pierce it with the tip of a sharp knife for better flavours) at the opening area. Then tie the legs and tuck the wings underneath the chicken.
  7. Place chicken breast side up and place cooked potatoes on the roasted rack, roast in a pre-heated oven at 190C for 45mins.
  8. Turn the chicken over and roast for a further 40 minutes or until the skin is browned.
  9. Increase oven temperature to 200C (fan forced), turn the chicken breast side up again and roast for another 20mins or until the chicken is done with nice golden brown and the potatoes are nice and golden.
  10. To test whether the chicken is done, pierce the tip of a knife near the joint between the drumstick and the thigh. The juices should run clear (not pink), if it is still pink, cook the chicken a little longer.
  11. Carefully remove the lemon and rosemary stem from the cavity. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
  12. Do not throw away the juices collected at the roasting pan, discard the fat and you can dip the roasted chicken with this yummy juices.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

 
I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up 'Lemons' hosted by Grace, Life can be simple. This is organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen from My little favourite DIY.


31 comments:

Jozelyn Ng said...

I agree when you say "you work like a maid" because I did experience that during family gathering at my house. I think the roast chicken must be full of aroma. Your post also remind me that my rosemary plant is dead.

Mel said...

It is not easy to host a gathering at home; so much to prepare. I know for sure this roast chicken absolutely delicious even if it is simple in ingredients

Victoria Bakes said...

now that's one succulent bird you've got there! roast chicken is my all time favourite!

Choi Yen said...

my roasted chicken always ended up too dry and the drumsticks tend to be slightly undercooked :(

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

照片很好看,照片里的烤鸡lagi好看,
多希望可以在你的餐桌上享用这丰富的集餐,嘻嘻!

Unknown said...

Hi, Sonia. Your roasted chicken certainly looked nice and I am sure they taste good. This is also my favorite roast chicken in my kitchen, I normally add minced garlic with Rosemary, lemon, salt and pepper to marinate the chicken. It tastes great!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I really salute you, prepared all the foods, if for me, i will have call for catering....

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

好丰盛啊!!!
你的家人真的很幸福

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , you're so hardworking :D I'm sure each family member enjoys all those scrumptious food that you've prepared ! Good thing that Chinese New Year happens only once a year lol

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Wow, what a feast that you & your family had on the CGM/V's Day! You pampered your family so much of course your family will also sayang-sayang you loh!

Your roast chicken look delicious! Like it like!

Tracy Low said...

我等你分享这个食谱等到变成长颈鹿了,哈哈哈!
要小心你分享那么棒的食谱,感恩!

cikmanggis said...

wah saya bangga dengan you Sonia...dapat sediakan semua menu sendiri dan ayam tu nampak sungguh menarik.Pasti nak cuba jugak nanti.Oh ya..ayam nampah sungguh segar.

Lian said...

Hi Sonia, I like that your roast chickens are evenly browned, and look moist too.

QembarDelites said...

Simple yet full of flavor, bet you were really happy to see your family enjoying your cooking, so it's worth every effort huh!

Gloria Fernandes said...

Yumm. Your roasted chicken looks delish. I too make it similarly

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your roasted chickens look beautiful!

divya said...

mind blowing clicks.. looks too yummy:)

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

下次去你家, 你要烤这鸡给我吃hor! 哈哈

Elaine said...

Good morning Ms Sonia.....its always lovely to cook for family members ... even though its hard work!

Tricajus said...

Wonderful! Thank you, Peter.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Wow, I'm truly impressed you cooked so many things in one day! It's satisfaction to see everyone enjoying it in the end! :) The chicken looks perfectly roasted with a nice even colour all around :)

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Wanted to roast it for my family and with the water rationing, I have to differ it. Heizzzzz...... Your roasted chicken looks so delicious and beautifully done.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

我快快把它book mark 起来, 感恩哦!

My Little Space said...

Haha....we as a wife & mother really have no choice but it still good to enjoy every moment of it. I'm sure your hubby will give a BIG surprise by the end of the day. haha....
Blessings, Kristy

柠檬叶 said...

看来柠檬月,我错过了。。。唉。。。
不过上来吃Sonia的,已很尽兴了。
只要我想不到的料理,没有你做不到了美食~~~~哈哈哈。。。

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

Seeing all that you have cooked, I can imagine that your family is so lucky to have you cooking for them. Maid on Valentine's Day... LOL! I'm the same too... Nevermind, we cook because we love our family :D

These chicken looks great for all occasions. Perfect for Cap Goh Mei celebration :)

Zoe

Anonymous said...

May I know what material did you use to tie the chicken legs?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

anonymous, it is Kitchen twine ( thick cotton string ), you can get it at Daiso.

Teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, if I am only cooking 1 chicken and the weight is 1kg so how should I portion out the seasoning and ingredients? Also my oven is not fan forced so what should I do? Thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Teo, my recipe total is 4kg, so can use 1/4 of the seasonings, no fan forced, just need to rotate the chicken few times for even browning.

teo ai li said...

Sonia, thanks for your fast response. So do I have to change to 200C or continue roasting at 190C till chicken is cooked? By the way, can I roast this chicken on a skewer that turns and roast? Planning to do this for dinner tom. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin