Last year I did a fondant covered cake for Pai Tin Kong (Hokkien peoples pray to Jade Emperor on CNY day9) . But this year I did something simple, I made this Jin Qian Ban ( similar like Ang Ku Kueh ), because the shape look like gold bar, good name and nice shape!
My mother was so impressed with the original gold colour from just using Pumpkin but not added any food colouring. Usually she used sweet potato instead.
You have to adjust the amount of water accordingly. I prefer to steam pumpkin instead of using microwave oven as less water is added to the dough later..and it was easy to handle the dough.
Jin Qian Ban (Pumpkin Kueh with Mung Beans ) 金錢粄*15pcs
Sweet Filling125g split yellow mung beans/green beans
1 and 1/2tbsp corn oil
Method1. Rinse mung beans several times till water run clear, soak in clean water for 2hours.
2. Drain the mung beans, place beans on a steaming tray, steam over high heat for 30mins
3. While beans still hot, place beans, sugar and oil in a food processor, process till fine.
4. Set aside to cool. Shape into 13g small ball.
Pumpkin skin150g pumpkin, cut into small pieces
100g glutinous rice flour
1/2tbsp rice flour
1 and 1/2tbsp corn oil
25g hot boiling water, or adjust accordingly as it depend on pumpkin texture
Method1. Steam pumpkin slices till soft, about 15mins.
2. Use a fork, mashed cooked pumpkin and set aside to cool.
3. Add glutinous rice flour, rice flour, sugar, and corn oil with mashed pumpkin, slowly add in hot water to mix well till soft dough, keep aside and rest 10mins.
4. Shape into 20g small ball.
To shape and cook Jin Qian Ban1. Dust “Jin Qian Ban “ mould or “Ang Ku Kueh” mould with glutinous rice flour for easy to remove the kueh.
2. Flatten the pumpkin ball, place a mung bean ball, cover and shape into round ball, then shape into log.
3. Place the log in the mould, lightly flatten, then knock out ( to prevent it broken when it drop to kitchen top, use your hand to hold it) and place on greased banana leaf.
4. Arrange kueh on a steaming tray and steam for 5mins over low heat till cooked (do not steam over high heat to prevent it turned out of shape!). Once done, remove from steamer, lightly brush kueh surface with corn oil.
Note : for this recipe, you will have balance 8pcs of filling, thus you have to increase half of the dough amount.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover