If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, February 25, 2013

Fondant covered cake 翻糖蛋糕 (拜天公)


While i am still compiling all the entries sent to me during CNY (because i have no time sitting in front of the computer for past 2 weeks ^_^), let me share my 1st fondant covered caked first.
Every CNY day 9 when "Pai Tin Kong (a praying ceremony to God for Hokkien peoples) , i am sure bake a cake and bring back to my mom's place to Pai Tin Kong together..This year, in order to make the butter cake look nicer, i covered it with fondant and this was my 1st cake covered with fondant..



IMG_8054 copy

First, i baked a marble butter cake using an old recipe, check recipe here.

IMG_8019























After checked few youtube videos, i was very braved and tried out my first cake that covered with fondant..And it is not as difficult to handle as i expected..
I did not apply a layer of buttercream before cover with fondant (feel lazy to make the buttercream, hehehe)..
IMG_8021


trim the excess gam paste using a pizza cutter..
IMG_8023


you can just brush water on the fondant and you can easily stick it on the fondant base, but remember not to brush water on the whole fondant base, because water will not dry at those area without placing with fondant..This was happened to my cake, i simply brush water on a large part of fondant base, and stick the flower fondants, but later realized that those area without placing with fondant still wet and can not dry up.
IMG_8025

my daughter helping me on the wording using gum paste
IMG_8031

we also made mandarin oranges and "chin yen bao"
IMG_8102 copy

why not next CNY you also make one ? ^_^  ^_^

IMG_8056 copy

I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover


 

31 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

厉害的呢,期待你更多翻糖作品

Casey said...

好漂亮的翻糖蛋糕,好棒!
:)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Very nice...

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

很美的蛋糕,但是很费时的翻糖,
我有些怕怕。。

Mel said...

I think this cake look really lovely. The God must be pleased with this beautiful cake offered for the praying.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

i realised u really follow all the norms of CNY, and u did it so well.

ann low said...

Your fondant cake was so nicely done! Very pretty :)

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Very nice. Can't believe this is ur first attempt.

Sonia, if u lazy to cover with buttercream next time u can just brush some apricot gel on cake. I learnt that in class.

Tracy Low said...

简简单单的装饰就变得如此美丽的蛋糕。

HS Kitchen And Hobby said...

Your fondant cake really very nice. I guest this cake must be very outstanding on that "Pai Tin Kong" night. ^-^

My Little Space said...

Whoa...you did such a great job here. Looks very easy but it is not at all.lol. haha... Probably, my hand will shake when handling those fondant dough. :o)
So fast, new year already over.
Kristy

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Tian Gong must be very happy to see such a pretty cake. Eh, Sonia, your daughter is such a good daughter, always helps you when you asked for help!

CQUEK said...

genius

Baby Sumo said...

Hi Sonia, your cake looks so pretty lah. I saw it on FB, really impressed u found the time to make it although CNY is a busy time.

Esther Lau said...

Wow!!!your "Pai Tian Gong" cake is so "advance" and beautiful!!! Tian Gong will love you very much, hehe...

Siew Hwei said...

好漂亮。。=)

Diane said...

Your cake is beautiful. Diane

Crystal Loh said...

好可爱的翻糖蛋糕。。

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Very nice :)
I saw it few days ago (@FB)and waiting your post, hehehe...

Chef and Sommelier said...

Wow Sonia! I really respect you for your all-round culinary and baking skills!

Hats off to you!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Lovely fondant cake!

Min said...

Haha, Ann, I first tried trying fondant last week too, I didn't apply butter cream as well. I love your pink colour, mine is a bit sharper, actually wanted to get a lighter one. Good work!

Li Shuan said...

You claimed that you busy But your fondant cake still decorate with so many detail figurine. Well done well done!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Lovely fondant work, Sonia.

The Sudden Cook said...

Awesome job! Well done:)

PH said...

Banyak cantik lor! I think the God must be very happy with your beautiful cake. Myself still scared to play with fondant.

Sally said...

水哦。。金水。。。:))

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Waah....very pretty! Good job especially with the chinese characters :)

Ana Regalado said...

Very pretty cake , Sonia ! Not bad for a first timer :D The decors on top of your cake look wonderful !

mui mui said...

Sonia,
This is such a lovely cake.
Tian gong must be very happy to have thiis lovely cake.. Your family will be blessed in this whole new year!
mui

lena said...

if you teach me, then i make one next cny :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin