If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, February 1, 2013

Honeycomb Cookies (Kuih Rose/Loyang) 蜂窝饼

Phew! i spent the whole afternoon to use these three kuih loyang moulds to make my 1st kuih loyang..or kuih ros, and recently i found another name called kuih goyang. Whatever how you like to call it, this honeycomb cookies is Malaysians all races favourite snack and we especailly like to serve it in all major festive celebrations. This traditional cookies has a sweet taste and scent coming from the use of rich coconut milk. Our member Malay like to flavour with rose essence or vanilla while the Chinese are like to adding sesame seeds...

IMG_6781 copy

IMG_6852 copy



The round money shape or rose shape mould was given by my SIL who staying in Kuantan. I was so happy found another two special moulds, one is butterfly shape and another one is star shape..their very old stocks indeed, hard to find these patterns nowadays...

IMG_6878 copy

IMG_6799 copy

I modified this kuih Loyang recipe from a Pai Tee recipe given by my SIL the other day..we all loves this ranguh (crispy) and full of coconut aroma cookies !!

IMG_6768

kuih loyang copy

All my tips on how to get a nice honecomb cookies could be found in below recipe. My daughter helped me doing this and she also found a tip, i denote ** in the recipe for her tip..check it out !!

Honeycomb Cookies (Kuih Rose/Loyang) 蜂窝饼
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 5 medium CNY canisters

260g plain flour or all-purpose flour
IMG_6841 copy 260g rice flour
360g caster sugar
400g coconut milk (makes from 365g grated coconut+2 cups water)
200g water
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt

White sesame seeds
Oil for deep frying
Kuih rose moulds

Method

To prepare batter
1. Sift the flours together.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine coconut milk, eggs, sugar, water and salt. Whisk to dissolve the sugar and salt..
3. Slowly pour wet liquid into flour mixture, add sesame seeds and mix to form a smooth runny batter.

To fry
1. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium low heat until hot but not smoking (temp 180C).
2. Place the kuih rose moulds in the oil to preheat (2-3mins).
3. When the mould is hot (do not over-heat or the batter will not stick), remove mould and give it a shake to remove excess oil (to avoid creating bubbles in the cooked kuih rose).
4. Dip hot mould into batter to coat almost to the top of the mould ( put batter into a deep small bowl). Lift and give it a shake to remove excess batter. Also do not lift up immediately after dip into batter, let it coat for few seconds.
5. Plunge coated mould into the hot oil and cook till few seconds. Lift mould to release the kuih rose into the hot oil.
6. Continue frying until light golden brown colour, it will brown further after it is out of the oil due to the residual heat. Do not require to flip the kuih rose **. Remove and drain on paper towels.
7. Repeat until all the batter is used. Stir the batter before dipping in the hot mould.
8. Leave to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.

IMG_6797 copy

IMG_6812 copy

I just bought two small pots of Hyacinthus (风信子,洋水仙) from IKEA , simply beautiful and freshly fragrance !



IMG_6729


IMG_6741




I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

40 comments:

Joelyn said...

Love to eat this! Thank you for posting Sonia.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

哈哈,还绑上了如意结
好cute:)

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

真巧,我也做了这个。。
你的炸的很美,还打了结呢!

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
我不曾动手自己炸蜂窝饼~~深怕功力不够。。。
=P 你做得很棒哦!!很美的呢~~
听家婆说,那旧模子比较好用,请问是真的吗??
好喜欢!!^^ 那风信子。。。

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

The butterfly mould is so special.

I used to help my aunt to fry this many years ago, we fried for the whole afternoon, after that I dare not eat this, 闻到都怕。haha

It is a fond memory though...

Sokehah cheah said...

Wow, I could imagine you making this standing in front of the stove in this hot weather. But all the shapes look lovely ..... I like to eat this too!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Very pretty! I really like the butterfly one, haven't seen it before. :)) hopefully I get to make this soon...so busy ya. :P

ice pandora said...

Oh wow! I didn't even know
that these molds exist!
Amazing fried goodies c:

xx

divya said...

yummy and tempting !!! absolutely gorgeous pics !!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I loved this cookies too. I made it last year but it took me a long time to frying it and managed to burnt my hand too. :P I loved how you used it to tie the Chinese decoration.

ICook4Fun said...

I have a few of the traditional molds but I like your butterfly and flower one. I have to look for it when I go back home.

Shu Han said...

wah even though I love how pretty this looks, and I even bought the mould (for fun's sake) I think I will put off making this.. not confident I can pull it off heh. good job sonia!

Lori said...

Oh, how beautiful! I've never seen such a cookie. I have no doubt they taste great too!

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

这个好好吃的,我好几年前,已买了2个模型,到现在还没用过,希望很快可以开工。
你的玫瑰形炸得很美!喜欢!也喜欢那清雅的风信子,会去买,谢谢你的分享!

Esther Lau said...

Beautiful shapes Honeycomb cookies! I saw the Hyacinthus at Ikea too but I didn't buy because not sure how long it will last :)

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

beautiful shapes Honeycomb cookies! lovely photos with CNY's feel :)

PH said...

Sonia, mu auntie gave me 1 kuih ros mould but I think I will try it later on. Sounds easy but quite tricky to make. Eh, the flowers you bought from Ikea very pretty! And you use your kuih ros to make decoration. Nanti banyak semut :)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I want to buy the Hyacinthus, but have not buy, hehe...

Artsylicious said...

I haven't eaten this cookie for at least 3 years! You've made everything so nice!!

mui mui said...

Hi Sonia,
Love, love, love your honeycomb cookies.
You fried it so well.
Can pass me some :p
mui

Li Shuan said...

Sonia, I like this very very much. That day my sis make two batches ...I was so " ngian" ..hopefully she will give me some when she come over for dinner on CNY. I'm too lazy to do this deep fried kuih ...hope other can give me free treat..hehe..

Your moulds are very cute ... I like the traditional one the best...one day if I really got motivation I ll try to fried this ya.... Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

From young, I called this Kuih Bunga. I loves this very much apart from "Love Letters". This kuih Bunga remind me of my uncle...many decades ago it was his first time making it, he dipped the mould right through into the batter and lift it up to fry. He was curious how come the kuih did not remove out easily from the mould? And he has to used a knife to scrape off the surface part.... called that a first timer huh?

great-secret-of-life said...

Wow! it looks too good love the shots
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Yannie said...

I love having this too. I think I have ran out of time, I still have a lot of recipes to try out. Oh my!

Obat hipertensi said...

I really like this article because it is very nice,,,,,,,

珊珊 said...

当我还小的时候,每年都会陪在妈妈身边做这个炸蜂窝饼的。。。
嫁人后反而没做了,妈妈少了我这个好帮手,也没什么做年饼了!那天才跟妈妈说起,倒不如把这些做年饼的器材pass给我了,明年吧。。。我也来做做看!!
这个炸蜂窝饼是我的最爱年饼之一!!

Tracy Low said...

真的很巧哦,我今天才炸这个,还弄到家里一团糟。

Little blue said...

I already order this from my mum, i didn't made this...the taste really nice!!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, this CNY I won't make this as no time but I will keep the moulds in good condition. I have 4 moulds now, 1 from you, 1 star shaped from Cass and my mum's neighbour gave me 2 with wood handles. tHanks for the tips, some of the tips are the same shared by my mum's neighbour. What a brilliant idea to use the Kuih loyang as the decorations love the flower too

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , the molds are pretty ! The cookies are pretty yummy as well :D I love the flowers , haven't been to Ikea for quiet sometime :P

Baby Sumo said...

Sonia, your kuih loyang is so pretty. The other day, my dad just bought a packet back for us.. but only the round shape. I like it but it's very oily.

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

So delicate and stunning, your honetcomb cookies are simply beautiful!! I love your Hyacinthus too, I can almost smell the scent of spring fresh in the air!

Cathleen said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!!

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Sonia! The molds bring back childhood memories... my grandma had all these tools for baking and cooking...

Great pictures!

Caca said...

I love this cookies with strong coconut flavour. Your recipe is the one I always wanted to have. Thanks. Gong Xi Gong Xi

温馨小屋 said...

Sonia 好厉害哦~ 好像什么饼都难不倒你~
这蜂窝饼做得好美,尤其那个蝴蝶的我很喜欢~

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

This one of my favorites even though it's quite oily! Love the way you've decorated them as CNY ornaments! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, i tried making these today but they turned out not crispy at all...dried till golden brown but when cooled, they r still soft. Wonder what hv i done wrong? Please advice. Thanks! Happy new year!

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, You may want to review the portion of the ingredients, it doesn't seem right. i tried and it didn't work at all. I need to add more eggs, coconut milk to make it work.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Tan Alicia and Adrienne, I am so sorry this recipe was not work for you. Currently I didn't use this recipe but instead I use another new recipe I published in 2014, maybe you want to try it out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin