If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, February 7, 2014

Buddha Jumps Over The Wall 佛跳牆~~欢喜过马年

Last year I challenge myself to make Poon Choi ( Big Bowl Feast )  盆菜 during CNY, and this year I did this Buddha Jumps Over The Wall 佛跳牆. My version is easy and simple version, total only 8 ingredients. I omitted shark fin as my husband already "Finished with fins" ^_^ and we not really fancy with abalones. Why this dish called Buddha Jumps Over The Wall? Because of the good smell, it made Buddha break out of this meditation and jump over the wall of the restaurant next door which served good wine-jug stew, read more here.



 
If you plan this dish ahead and prepare the ingredients 1 day earlier, actually it is quick and easy.
I use a double-boiler and this was how I layering the ingredients..

 
This bowl of concentrated and rich taste of soup is the main result of this dish by double boiled the ingredients for several hours.


Buddha Jumps Over The Wall 佛跳牆
*serves 5
Day 1
500g Old chicken cut pieces (老鸡), blanch in hot water for 5mins, refrigerated
600g Front pork knuckles (豬腳), blanch in hot water for 5mins, refrigerated
400g Premium Spare Ribs (排骨), blanch in hot water for 3mins, refrigerated
80g Chinese superior Jinhua ham (金华火腿), cubed, blanch in hot water for 1min, refrigerated
5 pcs Premium mushroom ( 花菇), soak in water for overnight
10pcs Premium dried scallop (干贝/ 瑶柱), soak in water for overnight
5pcs Sea cucumber (海參), refer here on how to clean them, refrigerated
20g Fish Maw (鱼鳔/花胶), refer here on how to deep fry them, soak in water for 1hr, refrigerated
 

Day 2
To use a double boiler or pot, start layering the ingredients from bottom of the pot:-
1st layer- old chicken pieces, only use meat part
2nd layer-front pork knuckles
3rd layer-spare ribs
4th layer-Jinhua ham
5th layer-mushroom
6th layer-scallops
 
Pour 1.2lt of hot water and water from soaked the dried scallops, double boil or steam over low heat for 2hrs, then followed by:
7th layer- Sea cucumber
8th layer-Fish Maw
Continue to double boil or steam over low heat for 1hr.
To serve-pour the soup into individual serving bowl, enjoy together with other cooked ingredients like sea cucumber, fish maw, and etc. 
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

 


 
Our CNY eve lunch 2014..

Maybe next year I should challenge the long braised abalones which need to take few days to cook, will see ^_^.
 
Happy Pai Tin Kong to whom celebrate this day!!

32 comments:

Joceline Lor said...

happy bai ti gong !

这是最精华的一盅了。很好料哦。华人传统的名菜来的。

Small Kucing said...

slurpppppps ...love it

Hamaree Rasoi said...

This is simply awesome and mouthwatering. I always wait for your recipes to learn from them.
Deepa

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我真想在你家过年啊。。。。。好丰富:)

ann low said...

Sonia, Happy New Year! I also want to come your house for your scrumptious meal. :D

Victoria Bakes said...

omg! that is pure delicacy!!!! i never thought about bringing this to family table without getting an instant mix! you are a genius

Somewhere in Singapore said...

How nice if i were your neighbour...

Mel said...

I be very luck if I am invited to enjoyed your delicious meal.....a great feast.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

去年的盆菜已叫我记录在案,还没来得及做, 今天又做"佛跳墙" 你好棒!!!! 我又记录在案, 又淘到宝了。祝你与家人天公誕心想事成:)

Baby Sumo said...

Yummy yummy! Last time I ate this was ages ago- can I come eat this at yr house? Hehe :)

Esther Lau said...

Wow,佛跳牆! Pandainya Sonia!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sonia for sharing this wonderful recipe. If I use shark fin & abalone, at which steps (layer) do I need to added?

Thanks

Happy NY!

Stephie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sonia for sharing this wonderful recipe. If I use shark fin & abalone, at which steps (layer) do I need to added?

Thanks

Happy NY!

Stephie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sonia for sharing this wonderful recipe. If I use shark fin & abalone, at which steps (layer) do I need to added?

Thanks

Happy NY!

Stephie

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, so luxurious! I want! ;p

Angie's Recipes said...

A mouthwatering Chinese classic, Sonia. Well done!

Unknown said...

Wow, I can smell it from across the screen!

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , the name of the dish sounds wonderful and from the look of it , it tastes gorgeous as well :D Your CNY spread looks drool-worthy , I'm sure everybody loved it !

May the Year of the Horse bring you and your family good health , happiness and good fortune , Kung Hei Fat Choi !!!!!

Lite Home Bake said...

Wow, bringing this to the table at home is amazing :) Blessed family!

Unknown said...

Scrumptious soup! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Cecilia Yap said...

Sonia..all the dishes look so yummy and I have not tried making the Buddha jump over the wall. I have bookmarked this and hopefully I can make my own next time.

Li Shuan said...

我从澳洲跳过来了。。。因为真的香到这里来了, 好厉害,什么都会煮。。这个高难度的我等吃就好

QembarDelites said...

What a yummy spread you had prepared for your family…the soup looked really delicious!

柠檬叶 said...

Sonia,新年快乐,马上发财!
好久没来您家串门子,哇又好多好料哦!!!最喜欢来你家啦,总是让人惊喜连连,哈哈哈。。。

Susan @ Best Food Processor Reviews said...

Thanks! Always for sharing these yummy recipe. I think this is a great recipe in this year. I made this the day you posted it and it smells fantastic and it tastes also.

Sem said...

I already gather all the ingredients b4 CNY, except couldn't find the recipe for this dish, haha, now can start work already.Happy New Year to you and family.

PH said...

Sonia, I look at the ingredients and I know this soup is sure sangat-sangat sedap! I will jump over your wall next time, OK? Hee..hee...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Stephie, if you use shark fin, add at the steps 7 & 8. For abalone, if you use canned abalone, then you just need to add at the last maybe 10mins otherwise it will turned tough. But if you use dried abalone, this is totally difference case, can't use in this recipe.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hello hello, not the monk, now I also want to jump over the wall to taste your version of the dish, hahaha! Really interesting to learn to how how this dish was named. Looks like everyone had a great meal together with other dishes.

obat penyubur kandungan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, can I know where u got your chinese ham?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Wong, i got it at Tesco non halal section or you may go to Chinese herbs shop to get it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin