If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Nasi Minyak (Savoury Rice with saffron) 番红花油饭

I like to cook this savoury rice (Malay called this as Nasi Minyak) whenever I cook Ayam Masak Merah or Curry, because they are the best combo! Few bloggers came to my house during CNY, I cooked this rice to go with chicken curry that they brought.




 
Saffron 番红花

 
Add hot water to the saffron, then tint rice with this saffron water. So you can have nice yellow colour on the rice. 

 
The usual nasi minyak is cooked with ghee, evaporated milk and a lot of spices, but my version only use a bit of butter and use less spices, because my family couldn't accept too strong taste of spices and too buttery taste of rice. Also all ingredients are easy to find in my pantry.



Nasi Minyak (Savoury Rice with saffron) 番红花油饭

3 cups Basmati rice
5 and 1/2cup water

1 cinnamon stick
5 cardamoms
20g butter (salted)
3 shallots, sliced
2 garlics, sliced
4 pandan leaves ( screwpine leaves), knotted , optional
3/4tsp salt

A pinch of Saffron, soak in 1tbsp hot water for 10mins

Method
1. Wash and drain rice, add in water.
2. Heat up a non-stick frying pan, add in butter, shallots and garlics and sauté till aroma.
3. Add in cinnamon stick and cardamom and mix well. Remove from heat then pour the mixture into rice, add in salt and stir well.
4. Add in knotted pandan leaves, and cook the rice.
5. Once rice cooker switch to “warm” mode, sprinkle saffron water on few spots.
6. Once rice is cooked, fluff rice with chopsticks (you can see some rice tinted with yellow ).
7. You may serve with Ayam masak merak, chicken curry or etc, and Pickled cucumber, carrot and onions. 

Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

23 comments:

Li Shuan said...

We saw the beautiful saffron garden in India n I was thinking to cook something with saffron. Here comes ur saffron rice recipe! Thanks for sharing. Very beautiful pics

Joceline Lor said...

哈哈哈。。 太好了。这个我有。下次我来学煮这个香饭。是不是也要煮a bu nei nei gulai 来搭配呢。

Jozelyn Ng said...

I think this rice also taste good with ayam berempah!

0620 said...

Never heard of 番红花,paiseh la
Use butter to cook the nasi minyak, mesti la wangi and sedap kan?!
Your nasi minyak looks not greasy, love it!!

Small Kucing said...

*kiss*kiss* love you! Thanks for the easy recipe. Last yr I tried to mk this. Failed miserably. Read too many recipe. One say this another say that. Will try mk this again whn weather not that hot

Andre C said...

I am sure adding pandan leave would give this a nice kick! Thanks for sharing :)

Mel said...

Wait till I get much better first then I will cook this rice to go with curry or rendang.

Victoria Bakes said...

this is a nice staple dish... have to try this for sure

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

真的没有什么可以难倒你的,赞!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Will wait for Small Kucing to try out, kaka....

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , the saffron alone sounds wonderful ! The rice looks simple enough but I bet it tastes divine :D

Gloria Fernandes said...

such flavourful rice..loved the colour...love the clicks too

Esther Lau said...

Hi Sonia sifu, after i ate your saffron rice that day, i tried to make it once at home but my colour not nice as yours. Now i'm so luck to have your written recipe . I will try it out again. Thank you very much for sharing :)

Baby Sumo said...

Ooo sure shiok to eat this with ayam masak merah! Yummy. Btw love the flowers, so pretty.

ann low said...

This saffron rice looks so good. With curry chicken sounds perfect too!

divya said...

Very simple and inviting rice. Excellent preparation.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Great idea! I like this sort of fragrant rice!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Your bowl of saffron rice looks so nice there. Saffron very expensive & I never use it b4.

Lite Home Bake said...

This is sedap for sure!

chow and chatter said...

this looks wonderful love the use of saffron

PH said...

I love nasi minyak! But right now Madam Fatty Bom Bom cannot eat :(

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

I love to add a bit of butter and garlic into the rice as this encourage my son to eat more, yours rice must be a great hit that day as with saffron it is such a fragrant rice!

CQUEK said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin