Chocolate Mousse Cake 巧克力慕思蛋糕
To make chocolate sponge cake (refer to step by step recipe here)*for a 6.5” round removable bottom pan (not a non-stick)
3 egg yolks (A size)15g caster sugar35g corn oil45g milk15g cocoa powder1/4tsp chocolate emulco,optional50g cake flour
3 egg whites (A size)1/8tsp cream of Tartar45g caster sugar
- Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar.
- Add in corn oil, stir to combine.
- Add in milk, stir to combine, then add in cocoa powder & chocolate emulco, mix well.
- Add in cake flour, mix well, set aside.
- Add cream of tartar into egg white, beat till foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks (十分发 / 硬性发泡) or close to stiff.
- Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
- Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture using a spatula, combine well.
- Pour batter into the pan (do not need to line with baking paper and do not use a non-stick pan).
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 140c for 25mins (at lower rack), then increase to 170C and continue to bake for 25mins. Remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack (prefer to invert the cake pan).
- Once cake is slightly cool down(10-15mins), remove cake from cake tin (use a think and flat spatula to run around the side and bottom of the cake pan) and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
To make chocolate mousse
50g UHT whipping cream
50g milk1 egg yolk (A size), lightly stir well150g chocolate
150g UHT whipping cream
- Beat 150g whipping cream till stiff (over a bowl of iced water), keep in the fridge before use.
- Mix whipping cream and milk in a saucepan, cook it till hot.
- Remove saucepan and wait slightly warm, add in egg yolk, stir to mix well.
- Return saucepan to heat, stir to mix well.
- Melt chocolate over simmering water till melted. Add chocolate into milk mixture, cook over low heat till thicken.
- Wait till chocolate mixture cool down, mix in the whipped cream, stir to combine.To assemble chocolate mousse cake – slice sponge cake into 3 pcs, equally divide chocolate mousse into 3 portions. Using a cake ring or removable bottom cake pan, place one piece of sponge cake then pour in chocolate mousse, repeat the rest till finished. Refrigerate for 4hrs or preferable overnight. Decorate the cake as per desired.
Use a hot towel (or a hairdryer), wrap the cake pan, then remove the cake.
Chocolate mousse recipe adapted from Eileen, with minor changes, recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover
This cake has rich chocolate taste, as for the mousse, like eating chocolate ice-cream, yum! For the chocolate, I used 3 difference type (from the leftover), chocolate bar (Meiji brand, dark chocolate and milk chocolate), and Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips..