Lets see how to cook this French food. First i bought a big duck (3kg) , ask the worker to debone the breast.
First time cooking with cast iron pot in the oven..
I like to use this peeler from Ikea to get thin julienne strips, no bitter white part is attached..
Thanks to a blogger friend given me this mini measurement cup, so useful !!
prepare the orange sauce
grill cooked duck breast till golden brown..
Before enjoy, I sprinkle this French hand-harvested sea salt " Fleur de sel " that bought from the trip. This salt is not salty and best to use on sprinkle but not for cooking..
Canard à l'orange ( Duck breast in Orange sauce) 法式香橙鸭胸
2 duck breast ~560g, rub with 1tsp sea salt, marinate for 2hrs1 medium carrot, cubed1 yellow onion, sliced into 4 cubes1tbsp Olive oil
Orange sauce ingredients50ml fresh orange juices100ml duck stock2tsp Cointreau (orange liquid)2tp red wine vinegar1tsp sugar or to taste1/4tsp salt or to taste1/2tsp oyster sauce
1tsp corn starch ( to thicken the sauce)Some orange thin julienne strips
- Drizzle olive oil in a cast-iron pot, place duck breast in the pot, then put in carrot and onion. Cover the pot, place in a pre-heated oven and cook at 180C for 45mins (To test the doneness, pierce the duck breast with a fork. If juices run clear (not pink), then it is cooked).
- Remove duck breast from the pot, set aside. Pour the stock into another bowl, skim off the fat on top, keep the duck stock for orange sauce.
- To prepare the orange sauce, add orange sauce ingredients in a saucepan, cook for 1-2mins.
- Mix the corn starch with one tablespoon of cold water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir it into the orange sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring regularly until the sauce is thickened and glossy.
- To pan fry cooked duck breast till golden brown over low heat. Before serve, pour orange sauce over the roasted duck breast, sprinkle some orange julienne strips, enjoy with mashed potato, rice and vegetables.Largely adapted from this recipe at 750g website, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover
I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up April 2014 Event - Orange organised by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY hosted by Anncoo Journal