If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, April 28, 2014

Canard à l'orange ( Duck breast in Orange sauce) 法式香橙鸭胸

I never know combine duck and orange can be tasted so nice, until I found the answer in Paris trip. We asked the staff from the hotel where we stayed to recommend a good restaurant for dinner. He were suggested us to a restaurant just located nearby. And we had this most yummy orange duck breast in this restaurant (will update in later travel post).


 

 
Lets see how to cook this French food. First i bought a big duck (3kg) , ask the worker to debone the breast. 

 
First time cooking with cast iron pot in the oven..



 
I like to use this peeler from Ikea to get thin julienne strips, no bitter white part is attached..

 
Thanks to a blogger friend given me this mini measurement cup, so useful !!
 
prepare the orange sauce
 
 
grill cooked duck breast till golden brown..

 
Before enjoy, I sprinkle this French hand-harvested sea salt " Fleur de sel " that bought from the trip. This salt is not salty and best to use on sprinkle but not for cooking.. 

 
Lets enjoy!



 



Canard à l'orange ( Duck breast in Orange sauce) 法式香橙鸭胸 

2 duck breast ~560g, rub with 1tsp sea salt, marinate for 2hrs
1 medium carrot, cubed
1 yellow onion, sliced into 4 cubes
1tbsp Olive oil 

Orange sauce ingredients
50ml fresh orange juices
100ml duck stock
2tsp Cointreau (orange liquid)
2tp red wine vinegar
1tsp sugar or to taste
1/4tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp oyster sauce 

1tsp corn starch ( to thicken the sauce)
Some orange thin julienne strips 

Method

  1. Drizzle olive oil in a cast-iron pot, place duck breast in the pot, then put in carrot and onion. Cover the pot, place in a pre-heated oven and cook at 180C for 45mins (To test the doneness, pierce the duck breast with a fork. If juices run clear (not pink), then it is cooked).
  2. Remove duck breast from the pot, set aside. Pour the stock into another bowl, skim off the fat on top, keep the duck stock for orange sauce.
  3. To prepare the orange sauce, add orange sauce ingredients in a saucepan, cook for 1-2mins.
  4. Mix the corn starch with one tablespoon of cold water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir it into the orange sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring regularly until the sauce is thickened and glossy.
  5. To pan fry cooked duck breast till golden brown over low heat. Before serve, pour orange sauce over the roasted duck breast, sprinkle some orange julienne strips, enjoy with mashed potato, rice and vegetables.
Largely adapted from this recipe at 750g website, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up April 2014 Event - Orange organised by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY hosted by Anncoo Journal
Little Thumbs Up

28 comments:

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

好吃好吃, 我要打扮美美的上你家去午餐了, 哈哈哈!

My Little Space said...

Hmmm...its lunch time and you're making me hungry.lol.
Enjoy your week ahead.
Blessings, Kristy
p/s lots of area still facing water problem in Selangor. But you still be able to cook like usual. haha....

Sally said...

西餐我不会做叻,你可以请我吃吗?呵呵。。

Baby Sumo said...

Your French duck dish looks very good. Fleur de sel is also very nice as sprinkle on cakes and making salted caramel :)

Mel said...

And now it is "French Food At Home" with Sonia now instead of Laura Calder!

Honey said...

Oh my Sonia! The duck breast looks delicious!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

u always come back with great idea,
good job sinia

Esther Lau said...

Wow,very delicious french duck dish and beautiful table setting. May I sit down and enjoy the dish with you? hehe...

Victoria Bakes said...

man! this is truly authentic!!!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

How nice if i were your neighbour...

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, this is a classic French dish and you have cooked it very nice! I think I can guess who gave you the measurement dish, "K," right, hehe. I'm also using this at home when comes to measuring small volume of liquid.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

哇噻,你什么时候要开餐厅??而且是高级餐厅呢:)

ann low said...

Mmm... this is a wonderful classic French dish. So good to serve with a class of red wine.
Thank you for linking to LTU.

Jenny's Delicacy said...

These pictures are making me hungry

Jozelyn Ng said...

Sonia, I really enjoy looking at the photo where you slice the duck breast until my saliva is all over on my table...I AM HUNGRY...

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , what a delicious dish , duck and orange combo sounds wonderful ! I like your fancy salt . Here , salt that are exported from France is a bit expensive :D

Little blue said...

You so great, very classic French dish!! For me I don't think I can cook it well so the better way is go to your house and be a guest!! Haha ~

Lian said...

Drooling at your pictures. Look so delicious. I like your wine glasses too.

Joceline Lor said...

Sonia,请问我可以陪你一起用餐吗?哈哈哈 。。。。。。 你是最棒的一个。

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I feel like I am entering a high class french restaurant, need to dress myself up 1st heeheehee...

特蕾莎(仙子) said...

Sonia,it look really nice and attractive, i love duck breast.^^

Lite Home Bake said...

Wow, lovely french cuisine in the comfort of home!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

This dish must be yummy with orange in it! and I like your table presentation too :)

Lori said...

I love my little measuring cup like that! I have yet to make duck at home, but I think I could definitely handle this. I must give it a try. It looks delicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great with such a tasty sauce!

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

I can see that you can very inspired by French ingredients and cuisine. You have cooked this dish very well. Wow!

Zoe

Helena @ Best Bread Machine Reviews said...

What a great blog find!! The Duck breast looks wonderful and I absolutely love pistachios :) I will be bookmarking

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious Sonia!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin