If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Orange and Passion fruit Gateau 香橙百香果蛋糕

I received few readers asking me whether they can use Golden sponge cake to decorate with whipping cream as they scare whether or this light sponge cake can accommodate the weight from the cream. To find out the answer, I decided to bake this cake again and decorate with orange and passion fruit curd which using leftover oranges that bought the other day ,and last minutes also decided to add in passion fruit which my sister sent over for me.



 
At the same time, I also can tried the lemon curd recipe from 英式柠檬蛋糕 (English Lemon Gateau) that shared by Crystal earlier. And i feel the curd is matching with golden sponge cake which both also contain butter.
 
Orange and Passion fruit curd ingredients

 
Since the orange used was sweet, so the curd taste sweet with a bit of sour taste only. I think totally use passion fruit or lemon will be better, need to try next time.


Yes, I can slice this Golden sponge cake but please handle with care..

 
I feel the curd a bit too thick, so i added more passion fruit juices, but wrong decision, resulted the curd became too runny..Anyway, I can prove that this golden sponge cake can be used to decorate with whipped cream.



Orange and Passion fruit Gateau 香橙百香果蛋糕

One golden sponge cake, refer recipe here

Orange and Passion fruit curd
2 eggs (A size)
60g caster sugar
40ml orange juices
35g passion fruit flesh
1/2tsp orange zest
45g butter

Method

  1. Mix all ingredients together except butter, stir well.
  2. Cook the ingredients over a pot of simmering water, stir it all the time till fluffy.
  3. Add in butter, cook till melt and mix well. Set aside to cool. If you feel the curd is thick, then you can add the extra passion fruit juices to adjust the thickness.
  4. Decorate sponge cake with whipping cream (non-dairy), and pour the orange and passion fruit curd on top. Refrigerate before serve.
Modified the curd recipe from Crystal ‘s English Lemon Gateau, original lemon juices used is 65g, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up April 2014 Event - Orange organised by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY hosted by Anncoo Journal
 
Little Thumbs Up

37 comments:

Mel said...

Oh, how beautiful this cake is. I love the combination of orange and passion fruit together. I can imagine how delicious this cake would be...yum.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

又甜又酸,这口味的蛋糕我最爱!

Kimmy said...

Sonia, your cakes are all so lovely. Orange with passion fruits, the citrus flavour is irresistible.

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I tried your golden sponge cake but still cannot get total successfully but love this recipe. I also thinking once I success, I wanna try to use as deco cake and thanks for sharing this.

Gloria Fernandes said...

I am a big fan of all your cakes and this adds up to the list.. Loved the flavors.. Looks too good..

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Very nice...

ann low said...

So pretty! Can we have tea together?

PH said...

Sonia, two thumbs up! Very pretty cake and very delicious too :)

婉婉午茶 said...

谢谢分享!甜带酸,一定好好吃^^

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

酸酸甜甜的
有刺激到味蕾呢,赞

Lite Home Bake said...

Your cake looks very pretty bet it is just as delicious!

mis chucherias said...

Sonia your cake is perfect!!! look beautiful and divine

Jozelyn Ng said...

nice cake...very pretty!

Unknown said...

I love this sponge cake with the orange and passionfruit curd. The citrus flavours are perfect together.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

OH my, that looks superb! Loving the passionfruit sauce!

Esther Lau said...

Oh..sound good with orange & passionfruit curd! Next time when i try english lemon gateau I will definitely use your golden sponge cake recipe. Thanks for sharing,Hehe..

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, you are so good, purposely baked a cake to prove that it can be sliced & frosted with cream! I like the colour of the cake!

ICook4Fun said...

What a light and beautiful cake. I already bookmarked your sponge cake recipe but have yet to do it. I have to do it soon.

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

Nice of you that you have demonstrated the answers of reader's queries! I admire your selfless attitude towards blogging :D

Zoe

Cathleen said...

This cake is gorgeous! I fell in love with passion fruit when I got my first job: at a bubble tea place. This is totally my kind of cake!

Terry said...

不同层次的甜酸,美味加分!

Victoria Bakes said...

Lovely cake... Combination of soft sponge plus the zesty flavor.. Makes a great afternoon tea cake

Kitchen Corner said...

Beautiful cake! Keep this recipe for next birthday bake. Thanks for sharing!

MunatyCooking said...

Just Wow! :)

Li Shuan said...

哦。。。好好卖相的蛋糕。。。那个黄金蛋糕我还来不及做啦。。先上你家偷吃呵呵!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,
Love your Golden Sponge Cake. I made one this afternoon, using double quantity for "9" . I made coffee marble sponge cake. Hmm not as beautiful as yours but still look nice. The cake is light and fluffy as good as chiffon cake. Thanks for sharing .
Jenny Lau Baking Journal

Sokehah cheah said...

I like the colour of this cake and the combination of flavours!

Angelic Heart~ said...

漂亮的蛋糕~
我也刚试做了,不错吃哦!

Angie's Recipes said...

It looks so elegant and beautiful, Sonia. Love the aroma and taste of passionfruit.

Little Corner of Mine said...

What a beautiful cake! Must be delicious!

Rosita Vargas said...

Su cake es muy rico y elegante combinación,abrazos

lena said...

i love passionfruit curd, tho i hv never tried with oranges and i also see how nice you hv decorated the cake. Bravo to you for making a cake for answering your readers.

My Little Space said...

Ooo...such lovely cake. Hope its enough water to do all your house chore! :o) Btw, how's the water problem in Selangor right now ?
Hope you're having a wonderful week ahead.
Blessings, Kristy

soh said...

烘焙了这个蛋糕,可以说找到最适合我家人口感的蛋糕,做了英式柠檬蛋糕,非常的绵绵幼幼松松,谢谢分享!,

Ana Regalado said...

What a pretty cake , Sonia ! I love the combination of the soft sponge cake and the delightful flavor of passionfruit curd .

Wendy Lim said...

Hi Sonia, Im a newbie in baking. Can you tell me how much whipping cream is needed for this cake? Can i use diary whipping cream or Paul's thickened cream? Tq

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Wendy, I think 150g of unwhipped cream should be enough.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin