If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, April 4, 2014

Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs 紅燒排骨

 
Recently I just upgraded the private TV channels (Astro) to include few new channels. And i found one interesting channel mainly use Hokkien dialect (HHD). I am not interest on those drama but I love to watch their food show that more sharing on Hokkien cuisines. I learnt this sweet and sour pork ribs from a show that shared by a owner of a restaurant mainly serve Foochow cuisines. I know how to cook sweet and sour pork, but this recipe I tried has very nice and crispy deep fried pork ribs. Even the dish has cooled down, the deep fried pork ribs still taste a bit crispy.


 
 
This time I use a new part of pork, called bone-in pork belly ( butcher told me it called Chiak Hou Kuat) . The usual pork belly normally is boneless, but this bone-in pork belly is pork belly with the ribs intact. I found so interesting when I find this new part of pork from the butcher. And you have to make booking for this part as usually butcher will separate out pork belly and pork ribs and sell them separately.
 
 
 
What made it so crispy? Coat the pork ribs with two type of flour, first with tapioca flour or starch then with potato starch. Just thinly coat them will do.
 
 

 
According to this Foochow chef, usually Foochow people like to add fish sauce in their cooking, no salt is added. Anyway, I still added a bit of salt to have more flavour.
 


 

Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs 紅燒排骨 
600g pork spare ribs ( I use bone-in pork belly ), chopped into bite-size pieces
1/4tsp Chinese five spices powder
1/2tsp fish sauce
2tbsp tapioca starch
1 1/2tbsp potato starch 
1tbsp chopped garlic
2 small chili, sliced
1 small onion, wedges
1 small tomato, wedges
2 small green and yellow pepper (capsicum), wedges
1 spring onion, sliced
 
Seasonings (combine together in a mixing bowl to become sauce)
3tbsp tomato ketchup
1tbsp chili sauce
1tbsp sugar
1/2tsp salt
1tsp fish sauce
1/4tsp tapioca starch
3tbsp water
1/2tsp dark soy sauce 
 
Method
  1. Marinate pork ribs with Chinese five spices powder and fish sauce for several hours.
  2. Coat pork ribs with tapioca starch then coat with potato starch.
  3. Heat enough cooking oil in a wok and deep-fry marinated pork ribs over high heat (due to the flour coating, the pork ribs will not brown so quickly even deep fry over high heat) until golden brown. Dish out and drained.
  4. In a clean wok, add 2tbsp of deep fry oil and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add in small chili, onion, tomato, and green and yellow capsicum, sauté for 1min.
  5. Pour in combined source, then followed by deep fried pork ribs. Quickly toss well to combine. Dish out and serve hot.
       Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

 


26 comments:

Joceline Lor said...

哈哈哈。。。。。。 我可以来你家吃饭吗?

PH said...

Huwah! Sonia, I am so drooling over here. I love sweet and sour pork and this one with new cut of pork belly looks so out of this world!

Mel said...

Yes HHD has few quite interesting food show sometimes. Sometimes it will just give us some ideas of cooking some dishes though no exact recipes given. I been scrolling up and down looking at your delicious pork ribs dish....

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Me drooling liao.... hehe...

nandoos kitchen said...

nice one dear. drooling over your clicks

Jozelyn Ng said...

Nice, looks like "gu lou yoke" to me...

Victoria Bakes said...

Gosh, it's so cold in japan now and I'm sitting here, starving and looking at your dish! Arrrrrrrrrr! It's a torture to look at it and not able to taste it

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

虽然我不吃猪肉, 但是偶尔也是有煮猪肉给家人的。 这道菜肴很赞, 试试好吗? 嘻嘻。。

Sissi said...

I love the look of this dish and as a pork addict I'm sure I'd enjoy it a lot. I wish I could watch (and understand!) the same channel ;-)

蚊子 said...

Yameyyyyy~~~ i love this dish so much! and it looks so delicious :)

Baby Sumo said...

Sweet and sour.. must be so appetizing! When is restaurant Sonia opening? ;)

Angie's Recipes said...

It looks lipsmackingly delicious, Sonia.

Lite Home Bake said...

Aiyo, lau nuar liao!

Li Shuan said...

非常下饭的一道菜,很好吃啊!

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , your pork ribs look very appetizing ! Will try that 2 flours coating trick the next time I cook this kind of dish :D

Rosita Vargas said...

Este plato se ve muy apetitoso muy buenos ingredientes me encanta,abrazos

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

With this dish, sure will eat more rice.

mui mui said...

Ah Chi,
I like to add a bit of fish sauce in my cooking too sometimes.
Your sweet n sour ribs looks appetizing. Stay crispy though it is cool.. I love that!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! So good with rice, one of my favorites!

Karen said...

流口水了,很想吃。。嘻嘻

Esther Lau said...

Yum Yum!!! Another my all time favourite dish :) Cheers Sonia sifu!

ICook4Fun said...

I too love watching the cooking channel. At least learn some of our Hokkien dishes. But can't understand much of their Hokkien show :(

Anonymous said...

Is the marinade the correct measurement? 1/4 teaspoon of 5 spice and 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauces? It doesnt even coat the meat all the way is this correct?

cookie28sg said...

Hi, just wanted to check if you remove the pork rind (skin) or not?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Cookie28sg, yes removed the skin

Anonymous said...

This recipe for Sweet and Sour pork looks amazing. I've been needing some new recipe's to try, because I feel like my cooking is so boring lately. Chinese food is one of my favorite kinds of food, but I've always gone to restaurants for it, because I've never known how to cook it. This is going to be really fun to try!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin