If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, April 11, 2014

Kuih Bahulu / Ji Dan Gao 烘鸡蛋糕

Earlier I made the old-fashioned of kuih Bahulu ( egg sponge cake) by adding Soda drink method. This time I tried with difference method, adding some raising agent (use self-raising flour) and add more sugar. As I know more sugar resulted more crispy and hard crust of kuih bahulu. Even I have increased sugar, but the sweetness still acceptable, perfect to enjoy over a cup of black coffee.



When I make this batch, the homemade pandan paste is not ready, so the green color wasn't evidence. I made second batch again today (no time to take new photo), it has nicer natural green color.

How to know the egg mixture is ready? When you add flour into it, and it didn't sink and stay on top, that means the egg mixture is very stable. After you added the flour, the volume will be reduced, it is normal, don't worry, but not to over mix it.

I fill the mould with 100% full of batter, as I like to see these nice bump and round shape of kuih bahulu.

When these kuih bahulu just hot came out from the overn, it was so crispy and full of egg nice aroma!! If compare to earlier version, the crispiness and hard crust of this kuih bahulu can last longer (make sure store in air-tight container). So this is perfect for me to bring to an International bloggers event (will update more later).

I still prefer to use cold-egg beating method, like earlier orange sponge cupcakes. I got the idea of mixing two type of flours after saw my friend Jane's post.

Kuih Bahulu / Ji Dan Gao 烘鸡蛋糕  

3 eggs (A size) , 56g-57g per egg
120g caster sugar
35g cake flour
70g self-raising flour
1tsp homemadepandan paste, optional
Corn oil, for greasing 

Method

  1. Pre-heat oven to 200C, grease the Bahulu mould with oil, pre-heat for 5mins.
  2. Sift cake flour and self-raising flour together, set aside.
  3. Remove eggs from the fridge, add into the mixing bowl, add in caster sugar, immediately beat it till pale, thick and fluffy (I use hand electric mixer, 4mins at high speed 4, 11mins at speed 2, 1min at speed 1, total time 13mins ).
  4. At the slowest speed, add in flour in 3 batches, add in pandan paste ,roughly combine. Then gently fold with a spatula till well combined.
  5. Remove Bahulu mould from the oven, spoon mixture into mould and fill 100% full (so you can have nice bump on top).
  6. Bake for 12mins (no fan) at middle rack or until golden brown.
  7. Remove mould from oven and put on wire rack, use a toothpick or bamboo skewer, prick cake with skewer and lift out. Cool on wire rack or bamboo basket. Store in air-tight container once cooled.
  8. Grease warm mould again before use and put into oven to re-heat for 5mins. Continue to bake until all mixture finished.
  9. Store cool kuih Bahulu in air-tight container, consume within 2 days, otherwise store in the fridge for later consume.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover


44 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

i love all these authentic bites that you make... and the collection of plates you have! i should have known better than to throw them out few years ago.. humph...

IeRA said...

sedapnya...

Nadji said...

De très jolis gâteaux très appétissants. J'aime beaucoup la forme.
A demain

Mel said...

Whichever version, I am sure both version are still taste great.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

刚好啊,我在喝咖啡涅,赞啊这个:)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves this, but never make myself before...

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

I've nearly mistaken your "ji dan gao" with another hit recipe on the Facebook that uses self raising flour. Hmmm, this is also my all time favourite snack on CNY.

Fion said...

Last 2 days is my 1st try kuih bahulu,just realized is very delicious,tks for sharing this recipe,hope will try to make it one day

Little blue said...

consider this weekend go to bakery shop get a 鸡蛋糕模子 and try to made this.

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , these kuihs look pretty adorable and perfectly-baked , too ! Love your plate and saucer :D

婉婉午茶 said...

哇!好好吃哦!!一颗颗金黄色的,好漂亮!

nandoos kitchen said...

love this authentic dish. Nice and yumm.

Li Shuan said...

Nice one! Will have to try on this modified version one day.

柠檬叶 said...

Sonia,谢谢您分享的微波面包,非常之好吃!无比感谢~~~
你教的食谱总是那么好吃,认识你真真好~~~

Lite Home Bake said...

I like how you try to perfect the recipes (and sharing them) for these traditional goodies. It can be difficult learning from our elders as most of them use their agak agak method :)

0620 said...

I dare not to challenge this, haha!!

Angelic Heart~ said...

喜欢脆皮的bahulu, 超赞啊!

YummyFoodBook said...

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for sharing the recipe. the kuih bahulu looks so fluffy and delicious. :)

Cheers,
Dariel

mis chucherias said...

wowww! looks beautiful and delicious
Happy weekend =)

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Your never fail us with your wonderful delicious yummy foods. Bahulu is my favourite kuih.

Sally said...

还是这个传统的鸡蛋糕好吃,
如果配上咖啡就更棒了。。。

Rosita Vargas said...

Galletas sabrosas con lida forma se ven increíble,abrazos

mui mui said...

Hi ah Chi,
I have tried your recipe yesterday.
You're right the crispy hard crust is so yum when it is out of the oven and the egg aroma is so nice.
Thanks for sharing:)
mui

Baby Sumo said...

Phewitt your new plate make an appearance liao :)

Small Kucing said...

dont really like to eat this. Probably those sold outside are super sweet.

Hmmm...you giving me idea what to make at mid year class party...maybe will attempt this

特蕾莎(仙子) said...

Old Fashion but always brings lots of memory to us. Thanks for Sharing~ ^^

Unknown said...

My favourite snack! Need to find the mould to be able to make this.

PH said...

Sonia, you kuih bahulu looks so cute and pretty!

Esther Lau said...

Lovely kuih bahulu!!!Ada lagi ke?

Jenny's Delicacy said...

My kid fav. Looks Yummy.

Lisa Ho said...

I suka bahulu, your bahulu looks so gebu n sedap :)

Sokehah cheah said...

Hey, Sonia, they look so good... just wondering whether it's CNY so soon!

Anna said...

Thank you so much for sharing delicious recipes. I love them. Where did you bought this mould? I'd like to buy one. Thanks a lot.

Lisa said...

I just came upon your blog via Pinterest, and I can't even begin to tell you how enamored I am. I've got the braised pork and eggs on my menu in the next week. Gorgeous dishes and desserts and beautiful photography!

Helena @ Best Juice Extractor Reviews said...

Great blog of recipessss..Follow u to get recipe updates! Keep it up :)

jen abnn said...

Sonia, may I know the egg weight is with shell or not? Thks

Anonymous said...

Made this twice ~ first time was a disaster bcos didn't heat up mould properly. Second time was a success! Love the crispy aromatic cuties! I also tried pouring batter into mini cake cases and the egg sponge cakes were equally yummy! Thanks much Sonia

missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
missy said...

Hi, thanks for the receipe. how do I achieve a golden brown top? Ive tried, only the base is golden brown haha.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

missy, maybe next time you bring rack one level up.

Unknown said...

Can I use ordinary flour as substitute to cake flour?

Anonymous said...

Tried tried this but the batter deflated with each batch making subsequent batches less and less spongy. Any solution for this problem?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

anonymous, sometime i face the same problem too, suspect maybe due to self raising flour used. I suggest you to try another my old recipe - old fashioned kuih bahulu using all purpose flour, the batter is more stable.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sinia. I tried that recipe too but the same thing happened. I used silicone madeleines mould. Could this be the reason?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin