When I make this batch, the homemade pandan paste is not ready, so the green color wasn't evidence. I made second batch again today (no time to take new photo), it has nicer natural green color.
How to know the egg mixture is ready? When you add flour into it, and it didn't sink and stay on top, that means the egg mixture is very stable. After you added the flour, the volume will be reduced, it is normal, don't worry, but not to over mix it.
I fill the mould with 100% full of batter, as I like to see these nice bump and round shape of kuih bahulu.
When these kuih bahulu just hot came out from the overn, it was so crispy and full of egg nice aroma!! If compare to earlier version, the crispiness and hard crust of this kuih bahulu can last longer (make sure store in air-tight container). So this is perfect for me to bring to an International bloggers event (will update more later).
I still prefer to use cold-egg beating method, like earlier orange sponge cupcakes. I got the idea of mixing two type of flours after saw my friend Jane's post.
Kuih Bahulu / Ji Dan Gao 烘鸡蛋糕
3 eggs (A size) ,
56g-57g per egg120g caster sugar35g cake flour70g self-raising flour1tsp homemadepandan paste, optionalCorn oil, for greasing
- Pre-heat oven to 200C, grease the Bahulu mould with oil, pre-heat for 5mins.
- Sift cake flour and self-raising flour together, set aside.
- Remove eggs from the fridge, add into the mixing bowl, add in caster sugar, immediately beat it till pale, thick and fluffy (I use hand electric mixer, 4mins at high speed 4, 11mins at speed 2, 1min at speed 1, total time 13mins ).
- At the slowest speed, add in flour in 3 batches, add in pandan paste ,roughly combine. Then gently fold with a spatula till well combined.
- Remove Bahulu mould from the oven, spoon mixture into mould and fill 100% full (so you can have nice bump on top).
- Bake for 12mins (no fan) at middle rack or until golden brown.
- Remove mould from oven and put on wire rack, use a toothpick or bamboo skewer, prick cake with skewer and lift out. Cool on wire rack or bamboo basket. Store in air-tight container once cooled.
- Grease warm mould again before use and put into oven to re-heat for 5mins. Continue to bake until all mixture finished.
- Store cool kuih Bahulu in air-tight container, consume within 2 days, otherwise store in the fridge for later consume.Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover