If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



I have to quickly post all the photos for my recent trip to Melbourne since my memory still fresh. I just realized that i still have many photos for my trip to Shanghai and Penang have yet to update..because lacking of time..Before i go to Melbourne, i saw Honey Bee Sweet posted her trip to Melbourne and she highly recommended me to visit Queen Victoria market..As a food blogger, i like to visit market more than those departmental store nowadays ^_^
This is a must-visit place in Melbourne, so many things to see and so many foods to eat!!




Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market is just located in the city, we just took public transport- by tram and walk about 5mins to get there from the tram stop at Central station.

Fruits and vegetables section

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


My 1st time tried this fresh fig, the taste was quite nice..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


The Deli section

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Helena also suggested me to buy this pashmak persian fairy floss 波斯棉花糖(开心果口味)
. The price in Victoria market was cheaper than their online sale, AUD 11.95 per pack, i bought a Pistachio flavour.

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne

The texture of this fairy floss is much lighter than those candy floss we could find here..simply yummy!
pashmak fairy floss




Seafood, poultry and meat section

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



Ready marinate and seasonings foods, so many variation..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


This was how they presented minced meat, so cute!

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



There is another hall which selling those souvenirs, clothing, phone accessories, baking items & etc..Something like our pasar malam here..I did not buy anything, after draftly calculated price x 3, hehehe..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



Honey Bee Sweet also suggested me to visit this stall selling cheap kitchenware and baking items..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


this pot is cheap but too heavy to carry back home...

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne

I bought few of these red ramekins..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Look out this L shed sign if you want to find this stall..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


There was an Asian market located at just beside of this market. They sell a very complete selection of Asian ingredients..from lemongrass, curry leaves, lime, hae bi (dried shrimps ), tofu & etc. I even noticed they also selling the daun Kadok which i seem could not easily find in the market in my place here^_^

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


I also noticed they selling this dark caramel soy sauce that i usually use ^_^ Maybe the owner came from Malaysia?
So actually we can cook up a good Asian meal in Melbourne too!

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Delicatessens section- you can find a lot of yummy foods here

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Boreks..
Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


roast chicken stall
Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


very refreshing fruit juices stall..
Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



French fried with chicken sauce bought from roast chicken stall, not bad!

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



I love this Borek, crispy skin and yummy spinach with cheese. I must learn how to make this at home soon.

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne


Bought this sausage / Bratwurst and bun for breakfast, nice too..

Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne



Queen Victoria market is located at:-

513 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Phone: (03) 9320 5822
Fax: (03) 9328 2710
info@qvm.com.au


Market Trading Hours

Monday CLOSED
Tuesday 6am to 2pm
Wednesday CLOSED
Thursday 6am to 2pm
Friday 6am to 5pm (General Merchandise to 4pm)

Saturday 6am to 3pm
Sunday 9am to 4pm

** If our market here is so clean and organized, i will visit pasar everyday, ^_^..

I will share another market that i visited in another post..

51 comments:

Hody Loh said...

sonia...i agree with you.now i go to shopping i only like to go to supermarket or kitchenware department.

elaine chan said...

Reading all about it definitely brings back memories for me. I loved this place and must visit every time I go over to Australia to visit my sisters. I loved the cheeses and the deli section most! Outside the market along the side lanes, they sell Malaysian-style food as well or are the stalls still there?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Elaine, how nice you can visit this place so often. I don't see Malaysian-style food stall but only saw Asian market..

WendyinKK said...

Love the minced meat, look like a bunch of hay, so pretty.
And the seafood, so fresh, really to die for.

Small Kucing said...

wow...a nice place to walk around

Yannie said...

The market there is so organized, clean and big. Thanks for sharing all these pictures.

choi yen said...

Huge mushroom!!! I also enjoy strolling in the supermarket :P

Jane Chew said...

so u had experienced how we shop here. hehe... sometimes have to admit that there are a wide range of goodies in the market compare to back home. May be bcoz of migrants fr all over the world so make it easier for us to get raw material. Recently i found the 5 spices powder that u bought for me in one of the asian shop. I was so happy! Next time no need to tumpang you already. Always trouble you very pai seh.

Li Shuan said...

Sonia, thanks for sharing this post n it brought back a lot of memories to me. Prices of goods in Victoria is much cheaper than WA. For example, the fig in the market was showing 12.00/kg we have to pay 19.00/kg here. Unfortunately my husband is not a market person, so I just spend very little time in the market.

Yes, we are able to get lots of Asian products mainly from Spore, HK, Vietnam, Msia and China..Too many to buy sometimes, my pantry is already a mini market haha...keep cooking and eating ..aiyo..!!

Siew Hwei said...

I love Victoria Market too.
I bought some bakeware from the stall you mentioned above as well ...:)

Ana Regalado said...

Your photos makes me drool - again ! hahaha Love that red ramekins and I'm willing to carry some of that cast iron skillet ! lol

Honey Bee Sweets said...

So glad that you actually found the cheap cookware store, lol! Yeah...many nice pots but so heavy! Nice photos btw, me too lazy to post up, heehee! :)

Pete said...

I always love visiting the market whenever I travel overseas.
Wow, so much fresh produce and stuff to see there...

PS : I bought the Koinobori from 100Yen shop, Daiso in 1Utama...

Charmaine said...

Like you, I love to visit markets whenever I visit a new place, esp the farmer markets in the country towns. Have you been to Prahran market? You can catch a tram from the city. There is a great kitchenware shop called Essential Ingredient there.

ann low said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ann low said...

Love those lovely pictures and the food!

Sorry there are some typo error in the first comment :)

tracieMoo said...

Oh Sonia, you remind me so much of the times I flew to Melbourne with my mum last year. We lived so close to the market so we went there trice that week! It was a blessing that I lived in an apartment, my mum bought salmon and scallops as we had a seafood feast on our own. Love love love Vic Market. How I wish I had something as close to that in Brisbane.

Sherleen.T said...

ohh, i can't recall there's a stall selling kitchenware there in vic market...:)
so much enjoy watching these photos, Sonia ...:)

ping said...

I love this place. Each time I'm there, I have to be dragged out by someone otherwise I'll never emerge at all. I guess if I'd gone with people of the same interests, it wouldn't be so bad :)

Jeannie said...

Definitely the place not to miss when in Melbourne! What a vast array of goodies!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

This brought back the good memories when i was there, me too got lot of unposted backlog not sure when i will rajin to post them :) i went to that kitchenware stall, bought a pie baking plate and ramekins. The price is really cheap!

Shoutforfood said...

I absolutely LOVE your photographs in this post...

Unknown said...

Wow! you've taken a lot of pictures!! Looks like you didn't miss anything. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very nice and clean place to shop. Wish I have the chance to visit there. Very enjoy viewing your photos. Thanks!

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

makes me wanna fly back to Melbourne! it's one of my favourite place too!! so clean (unlike the markets here haha )

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Wish i have chance to shop there. Nice foods and kitchenwares.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice! I love to go to this kind of places too.

Alan (travellingfoodies) said...

Thanks for sharing and bringing us with you on your tour around the market! definitely looking forward to this place if i were to travel to Melbourne. So from the opening hours, I reckon the best time to visit is on a Fri yeah?

Yee Er said...

LIke to see they put the goods all nicely in place, very clean, organised and fresh....Nice pics..

Jes's Deli Corner said...

Like to see the photos here especially kitchenware.

Unknown said...

The photos you show is so informative and interesting. It's just nice!

Sissi said...

What an extraordinary market and such beautiful photos! I think I could spend there a whole month without going out ;-)
I love the way they present the ground beef!

Sem said...

Seeing your pics of Queen Vic Market really brings back lots of fond memories of Uni days in Melbourne.

yvonne said...

Wow, really can get most of local specialty there :O I guess they would cost a little more :)

Now I know, their market is cleaner and much organized than ours here, hihi!

Zoe said...

Funny to see the information that you wrote all from Vic market and Melbourne is actually the place that we live and see everyday.

That sausage is indeed a great recommendation. It is quite popular among the locals too :D

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow! This place has changed so much over the decade! I missed it so much! I used to go there every week to do my grocery shopping when I was studying in Melbourne. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Sally said...

11年前曾经到此一游,没拍到什么照片,那时没有玩烘焙,也没有买到那些用具。
现在看回你的照片,让我很想再飞过去哈哈。。
谢谢你的照片分享,可以让我再重温旧梦。。。:))

eileen@hundred eighty degrees said...

Hi Sonia, it's so nice of you to share these photos. I am kinda lazy to post my bali trip photos...haha.... normally I like to visit local markets whenever I am on F&E trip, that's where we see the different culture...

Sharon @ Feats of Feasts said...

i almost want to scream out seeing how 'cheap' their cast iron pot is....haiz....i could buy out that whole store.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hmmm I'm jealous and I wish I could tag along with you! :-) I enjoy seeing your travel pictures especially I don't know when I can visit! ;-)

lena said...

i didnt see figs when i was there but lots of mangoes and they were so cheap, just abt RM1.00 per piece, mangoes season, it's like lelong!!

Babe_KL said...

I didnt see the home ware store when I was there 2 years ago. Lucky not otherwise would hv burst my baggage allowance hahaha. I love this place and wish we could have something similar like this

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia,I dont know why I miss out reading this post! Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us!

Mary said...

I absolutely love these peeks into different countries and their markets. What an awesome experience.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Vic Market is definitely a must-see place. I enjoyed it very much but it probably has changed quite a bit. My favorite section when I visited was the dried flower and pot pourri section. It was so fragrant! Thanks for sharing your pictures :)

Cosy Bake said...

A must place to visit every time I go Melbourne. Wish could. Ring back all the fresh veg and fruits back from there! The seafood also can't resist!

April said...

I LOVE Queen Victoria Market! What beautiful photos you took. I love the food of course, but also the candles you can get for amazing prices with gorgeous style. Have you seen the dusk or glasshouse candles that they do? www.marketscentral.com.au/product/t/Candles Thanks for reminding me of all the things that make Australia markets a beautiful place to be. And I love fresh figs. :-)

Best Pizza in Melbourne said...

The market in Melbourne is very beautiful. One must visit Queen Victoria Market. Melbourne has many places to visit and many things to eat like Best Pizza in Melbourne.

Kah Chin said...

Hi Sonia, i've been your reader for sometime, learning a lot from you :)
Thank you so much for recommending this place, just went there early this month and i'm so impressed! Feel like going there everyday ^^

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

Like to see the photos here especially kitchenware...

Jenny Spears said...

I love shopping in marketplaces! Everything looks fresh! Will definitely pay this a visit when I go back to Melbourne. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin