If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, March 14, 2014

Korean Kimchi 韩国辛奇泡菜


The other day, I saw my friend Bakeling made Korean Kimchi, sound easy to make. Since last two days napa cabbage was on sales, i quickly bought one and try this out.




She used chili paste instead the usual way of using chili flakes. She even use local chili paste only. According to her the taste was good. Anyway, I use the Korean chili paste (Gochujang) . And this Korean chili paste has flavoured, so i added less fish sauce.


She also omitted the usual way of adding Cincalok (fermented small shrimps), and I find the Kimchi still taste good and  the taste is quite close if compare to store bought Korean kimchi.

I noticed that the kimchi only took 1/2day to fermented, anyway I still kept in room temperature for 1 day then only refrigerated.



I also recorded and weighted all ingredients used, so I can control the consistency of my Kimchi if I going to make again in the future and for your better reference.
Updated on 8th June 2016- I have simplified this recipe, please check revised recipe as per below.


Korean Kimchi 韩国辛奇泡菜 
1 medium napa cabbage (~780g)
40g coarse salt (5% over total cabbage weight) 
50g radish, shredded
20g carrot, shredded
20g Chives, cut into 2” length
1 spring onion, cut into 2” length 
A)
50g apple, cubed
65g pear, cubed
50g yellow onion, cubed
15g garlic, chopped
15g ginger,chopped
1/4tsp salt 
B)
60g Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
60g water
1/2tbsp sugar
10g glutinous rice flour 
10ml fish sauce
Method
  1. Remove the core from the cabbage and cut it into 1" pieces. In a very large bowl, add the cabbages and toss with the salt. Place a clean plate and heavy object on top.
  2. Put in room temperature for 1 and ½ hour, remove and squeeze the excess water from the cabbage making it crunchier.
  3. At the same time, prepare shredded radish and carrot. Add a pinch of salt, and rest for 30mins, remove and squeeze the excess water.
  4. Cut the chives and spring onion into 2” length, keep aside.
  5. Put all ingredients (A) in a blender and process until fine paste, set aside.
  6. In a saucepan, put all ingredients (B) and stir well. Cook over low heat and stirring all the time till become a paste.
  7. In a large mixing bowl, add cabbage, all other ingredients and fish sauce, mix well. Taste it and add more fish sauce or chili sauce as desired.
  8. Place the kimchi in a clean glass jar, let it sit at room temperature for 1day for fermentation (when weather is hot). You can now start to enjoy or refrigerate for later use.
Notes:  
1. Advise to use glass jar, instead of plastic containers for better food safety purposes. 
2. Do not fully fill Kimchi into the jar, leave some gap, as in the fermentation process, it will create air bubbles and push the Kimchi to the top. Try to push back Kimchi to mix with water as to prevent it contaminated. 
3. If possible, at the last stage of cleaning cabbage, use cooked water instead, to prevent Kimchi from contaminated. 
Recipe reference: Bakeling, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover


Korean Kimchi 韩国辛奇泡菜 (rev1)
1 medium napa cabbage (~780g)
40g coarse salt (5% over total cabbage weight) 
50g radish, shredded
20g carrot, shredded
20g Chives, cut into 2” length
1 spring onion, cut into 2” length 
A)

115g pear, cubed
50g yellow onion, cubed
15g garlic, chopped
15g ginger,chopped
1/4tsp salt 
B)
60g Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
5g Chili flakes
1/2tbsp sugar
10ml fish sauce

Method
  1. Remove the core from the cabbage and cut it into 1" pieces. In a very large bowl, add the cabbages and toss with the salt. Place a clean plate and heavy object on top.
  2. Put in room temperature for 1 and ½ hour, remove and squeeze the excess water from the cabbage making it crunchier.
  3. At the same time, prepare shredded radish and carrot. Add a pinch of salt, and rest for 30mins, remove and squeeze the excess water.
  4. Cut the chives and spring onion into 2” length, keep aside.
  5. Put all ingredients (A) in a blender and process until fine paste.
  6. Pour the paste into a mixing bowl, add in ingredients (B) and stir well. 
  7. In a large mixing bowl, add cabbage, all other ingredients sauce, mix well. Taste it and add more fish sauce or chili sauce as desired.
  8. Place the kimchi in a clean glass jar, let it sit at room temperature for 1day for fermentation (when weather is hot). You can now start to enjoy or refrigerate for later use.
Notes:  
1. Advise to use glass jar, instead of plastic containers for better food safety purposes. 
2. Do not fully fill Kimchi into the jar, leave some gap, as in the fermentation process, it will create air bubbles and push the Kimchi to the top. Try to push back Kimchi to mix with water as to prevent it contaminated. 
3. If possible, at the last stage of cleaning cabbage, use cooked water instead, to prevent Kimchi from contaminated. 
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

28 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

看起来真的不难,找一天材料买齐了
我也来做这个:)

nandoos kitchen said...

This looks super yumm..

Mel said...

Kimchi is my mum favourite whereas Im not really into it; eventhough this is dish is all about vegetables and should be healthy 'salad'.

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

很喜欢你拍食物的照片, 很美!

0620 said...

我来看看。。。。照片 :P

Baby Sumo said...

Usually I get my brother to make the kimchi for me. The way he make it is that he never cut the cabbage, he told me this is the traditional Korean way. Cutting it smaller seems easier to store it away.

Esther Lau said...

I know kimchi is very good for health but it's too spicy to me, hehe...Anyway,I love you beautiful shots!!

Lite Home Bake said...

I love kimchi but have never tried making it. We were thought how to make it during our visit to a kimchi factory in korea though. They probably showed us a very basic one, yours look good and must be very nice with the addition of some fruits. Drool!

Cat Chee said...

哇~这个煮泡菜汤好赞!
煮韩国泡面更一流~嘻嘻..

mis chucherias said...

I have never tasted the kimchi. It looks delicious. one day I'll try to do it

Cecilia Yap said...

I am not a big fan of Kimchi but yours look so delicious.

小食代 said...

Hai Sonia!
Can let me know where to get Gochujang, kl area perhaps?
thanks a lot ya!

lena said...

it has been long time since my last made kimchi..yeah i also used cincalok from elin's recipe..nvr tried with fruits tho:)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sure, we can exchange the side dishes. :P I always have a jar of kimchi in my refrigerator, we need the good probiotic for our gut! :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

小食代, yes you can get it from major supermarket or Korean ingredients shop at large shopping complex.

Victoria Bakes said...

This is so unreal! And I thought only Koreans make their own kimchi. This is so goooooddd! 没啥难得了你这个大师傅!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I want to make kimchi fried rice with this! Looks so good, Sonia!

Ana Regalado said...

I borrowed one Korean cookbook at the library , hopefully , I can make another Korean dish besides japchae :D One of these days , I'm gonna try make kimchi as well . Your homemade version looks wonderful ! I love the step by step tutorial . Btw , why you don't have a Pinterest account ?

Unknown said...

Wow I had no idea it was so easy to make! Thanks for sharing, I shall make my own sometime. Much cheaper than buying a small bottle which is so expensive.

Little blue said...

I also made Taiwanese 泡菜,I like Korean kimchi too. Next time I use this method to made kimchi.

ann low said...

Sonia, My family loves kimchi. Your version looks so delicious with apple and pear.

Libby said...

I love kimchi

PH said...

I am not much of a kimchi fan but it is interesting to know how it is made. Sonia, very rajin of you to DIY kimchi!

Kristen @ Best Food Processor Guide said...

These look delicious. I wanted to try chili and the sour cream tonight for dinner and hope everyone like it.

MiChi said...

I thought stuff the ingredient to whole cabbage....here you chopped the cabbage then mix with the ingredients?

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

My son favourite.

mui mui said...

Hi Chi,
Your version of kimchi sounds great!
You added apple and pear. Must be super yum!
mui

cara membuat kimchi korea said...

These look absolutley delicious, would love to have this for an upcoming bday

Blog Widget by LinkWithin