If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Hakka Shui Ban (steamed savoury rice cake) 客家水粄

My mother bought me these old-fashioned bowls, I simply adore to them.  The other day, I use them to make this Hakka Shui Ban a.k.a steamed savoury rice cake, they are perfect to serve this way.




 
First prepared the filling, which use minced pork and tofu..

 
Then prepare the batter

 
Top the filling on top of rice cake, then enjoy !!


 
If you wish to try this recipe, advise to increase half amount of the filling, because we feel that we need more filling when enjoy with this plain rice cake..



Hakka Shui Ban (steamed savoury rice cake) 客家水粄
*makes 10 small bowls

For the filling
150g minced pork
90g Hakka yellow tofu, small cubed
4 dried scallops, soak in clean water for several hours, or you may replace with dried cuttlefish
2 garlic, chopped
1/2tbsp oyster sauce
1/2tbsp light soy sauce
1/2tbsp dark soy sauce
Salt to taste
Water from soaked the scallops
Coriander, chopped

Method

  1. Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a pre-heated wok, sauté garlic till aroma.
  2. Add in minced pork, tofu, scallops and water, stir to mix well, add in all seasonings, stirring constantly over medium heat until cooked.
  3. Add in chopped coriander, toss until well combined and aromatic, dish out and ready to use.


For the batter
250g rice flour
30g corn flour
1/2tsp salt
1tbsp cooking oil
270ml water
850ml hot boiling water

Method

  1. Combine rice flour, corn flour, salt, cooking oil and water in a mixing bowl. Add in  hot boiling water, keep stirring until well combined, strain well.
  2. Grease the 10 small bowls, and preheat over hot boiling water for 2mins.
  3. Pour batter in steaming bowls until ¾ full. Steam over high heat for 15mins or until cooked. Remove from heat, leave to cool.
  4. Top with filling, and serve.
Recipe reference to cookbook Authentic Chinese dumplings with changes

21 comments:

Sally said...

好特别的水粄,远看我还以为是
白粥呢。。呵呵

Unknown said...

This reminds me of wun chai gou. I haven't had it for ages, and starting to miss home. Hopefully I will find time to make this!

PH said...

Oh, this is Hakka kueh. I tried it once at the old Jaya Jusco in Taman Tun. I love the taste!

Joceline Lor said...

hak kak mooi 来吃水粄咯。很好看的作品。喜欢 ~

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Thanks for sharing, have eat this from outside, but do not know how to make it

Mel said...

Look like Chui Kueh...only thing is the filling is using mince meat. This great forbreakfast and light lunch.

Rose world said...

Very beautiful bowls. I love its traditional looking.

Er, i am Hakka but I never taste this before. My mum never vook this. This recipe looks easy, I must try cook this one of these days. Thanks for sharing.

0620 said...

看似简单
但要做得好看
也是难免少不了技巧吧
这种好味道值得传承下去 :)

Victoria Bakes said...

my hubby is hakka but he has never told me about this! as i always say, you never stop to bring me different foods of the culture.... LIKE orh!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

See lah, your mum also know what type of bowls you like, hehe, lucky lucky you. Like you said, the steamed kuih are best served in these tiny bowls.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

连妈妈也开始替你收集碗盘了哦,赞的!!

Gloria Fernandes said...

looks delish..yummy

Angie's Recipes said...

I miss those steamed rice cakes. It has been ages since I last one. Excellent!

Lite Home Bake said...

Love this type of kuih, looks delicious and pretty served in those little bowls!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! I also love the bowls!

Jenny's Delicacy said...

放豆付的馅料好特别...喜欢

Little blue said...

Love this kuih and love the old fashion bowl too....

Small Kucing said...

funny. I never attempt to make this. coz i am not keen on this. but i like the sweet ones

Ana Regalado said...

Love your take on this savoury version ! The pork and tofu topping looks pretty tasty :D The bowls looks pretty tasty themselves lol

mui mui said...

Hi Chi,
I love this kueh but don't know it is called 'shui ban'. I know it is called 'zui kueh' hahaha!
Next time if you make this again reserved 1 bowl for me ya ;D
mui

Terry said...

个人佷喜欢这类型的糕点,bookmark了!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin