My sister brought me some fresh bamboo shoots from her MIL house, i am glad that i can cook with these fresh bamboo shoots as those selling in wet market has some kind of awful smell...
Ya, one thing i need to clarify here. Recently i just realized that i should not write "dark soy sauce" in my recipe, actually i was meant " thick caramel sauce" as I just direct translated from Chinese 黑酱油. They are both difference sauces. I think only Malaysia and Singapore use widely of "thick caramel sauce" but US & Europe hardly find this thick caramel sauce. This is the thick caramel sauce i use:-
Braised bamboo shoot with chicken wings
(reciep souce: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
600g chicken wing, cut into halves
500g bamboo shoots, sliced
3 stalks spring onion, cut 1” in length
5 slices young ginger
4 Chinese shiitake mushroom, soaked several hours, rinsed, sliced .
1 star anise
3tbsp light soy sauce
1 and ½ tbsp thick caramel sauce
1tbsp rock sugar
1tbsp Chinese Hua Tiao Chiew wine
Salt to taste
1. Boiled bamboo shoots in hot water for 5mins (add little salt) and rinsed.
2. Heat oil in a wok, sauté ginger and spring onion.
3. Sprinkle wine and light soy sauce, add in water and rock sugar.
4. Once water is boiled, add in star anise, chicken wings, mushroom and bamboo shoots and simmer till sauce is reduced, about 20mins.
5. Add in thick caramel sauce and adjust the taste.
6. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Have you ever tried bamboo shoots rice before? stay tuned for this recipe...
Happy Cooking !!