Here is another Swiss roll I did last week and this time i use fresh strawberry for the filling.
This recipe was adapted from "Okashi-sweet treats made with love" 's book. This recipe requires more steps and not easy to handle if compare to early chocolate swiss roll.
I adapted the souffle roll sponge from this book and I suspected i have handled the steps not well because the sponge texture must be light, springy and fluffy texture. But what i got was a dense and firm sponge.
Anyway, this sponge is super easy to roll as it is very flexible and elastic. My kids like this cake, for me i still prefer the sponge from 孟老师.
Strawberry Swiss roll
* make a 11" x 14" (28cm x 36cm) Swiss roll (recipe source: adapted souffle roll sponge from "Okashi-sweet treats made with love" book, i modified the amount ingredients to suit the size of my cake pan)
Fresh strawberries, cut small pieces
Non-dairy whipped cream
1. Combine egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a small bowl and beat lightly. Set aside.
2. Place butter in a small saucepan, and heat gently until melted. Add flour to melted butter and cook through. Transfer butter-flour mixture to a bowl, then add egg mixture a little at a time. With a spatula, mix into a smooth batter. Add milk and mix to incorporate. Strain batter and set aside. (do not skip strain batter, i found the batter is very thick and not easy to strain through)
3. To make meringue, place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until foamy. Add half the sugar and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar and beat until egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.
4. Take one-third of egg whites mixture to mix with the egg yolk mixture using a hand whisk. Then fold in the remaining egg white using a spatula until well combined.
6. Pour the batter into baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread evenly with a scraper. Gently knock the tray on tabletop to remove air bubbles trapped in the batter.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 13mins (original recipe is 20mins)
8. When cake is done, remove from pan and place on a wire rack and put in a big plastic bag to cool.
9. To assemble Swiss roll, turned cooled sponge onto a clean work surface. Peel off parchment paper, spread evenly layer of whipping cream over top of sponge and place fresh strawberries on top.
10. Gently roll up the sponge to make a Swiss roll. Wrap with cling wrap and chill in the fridge to allow the Swiss roll to set. Slice to serve.