I made swiss roll not more than 3 times but all were failed. When i know Aspiring Bakers #9 calling us to challenge making Swiss roll, i quickly search for a 100% success recipe, and i got to know the best recipe is from 孟老师 “美味蛋糕卷”.
I don't own this book but I saw in 茄子's blog. Eventhough i have little hiccup as I overbeated the meringue and was hard to fold with egg yolk mixture. But the Swiss roll came out still perfect, easy to roll and no crack.
Chocolate Swiss roll with blueberries filling
(recipe souce : basic sponge adapted from 孟老师 “美味蛋糕卷”)
* make a 11" x 14" (28cm x 36cm) Swiss roll
26g unsalted butter, melted
84g egg yolk
26g caster sugar
3tsp cocoa powder
126g egg white
63g caster sugar
47g cake flour
Non-dairy whipped cream
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar over a pot of hot water till thicken and pale in color.
2. Add cocoa powder into egg yolk mixture, stir well and set aside.
3. In another clean bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until foamy, gradually add in sugar and beat till glossy and soft peaks form.
4. Take one-third of egg whites mixture to mix with the egg yolk mixture using a hand whisk. Then fold in the remaining egg white using a spatula until well combined.
5. Gently fold the sifted flour (in 3 batches) into the batter. Add in melted butter and gently combine well.
6. Pour the batter into baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread evenly with a scraper. Gently knock the tray on tabletop to remove air bubbles trapped in the batter.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for around 13mins.
8. When cake is done, remove from pan and place on a wire rack and put in a big plastic bag to cool.
9. To assemble Swiss roll, turned cooled sponge onto a clean work surface. Peel off parchment paper, spread evenly layer of whipping cream over top of sponge. Follow by spread a layer of blueberries filling.
10. Gently roll up the sponge to make a Swiss roll. Wrap with cling wrap and chill in the fridge to allow the Swiss roll to set. Slice to serve.
I just done another Swiss roll recipe from Keiko ishida's Okashi book just now, look like i have another success Swiss roll, hehehe, will share recipe soon.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #9 - Swiss Rolling Good Times hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food
Happy Baking !!