Prawn dumplings / Har Gow is one of the dim sum item that we will not miss if we take dim sum outside. And it is not difficult to prepare Har Gow at home actually.
Lay blanched cabbage on the steaming tray (try to use a bamboo tray), and we love the steamed cabbage as it was so sweet.
You have to form the dough while hot..
Very easy and simple to make pleat on this dough
Try to use big fresh sea water prawns, to have more crunchy texture..
Prawn dumplings / Har Gow虾饺
(recipe source: adapted from Sherleen with minor changes)
40pcs fresh big prawns, diced
1tbsp potato starch / tapioca starch
1/2tsp soda bicarbonate
140g wheat starch
30g tapioca starch
1tbsp cooking oil/vegetable oil
A pinch of salt
10-20g tapioca starch
1. Mix marinate seasonings with prawns, set aside.
2. Combine wheat starch and tapioca starch.
3. Bring water to boil, add oil and salt. Change to low flame, add in flour No 2, quickly stir to combine.
4. Place hot dough on a table top, pat the dough with tapioca starch (10-20g) while dough is still hot, quickly knead until smooth.
5. Divide the dough into 10g each (depend how big you want, adjustable). Use a rolling pin, roll to circle round sheet.
6. Make few pleats on the edge, fill in 2-3pcs diced prawns and seal it.
7. Steam over high heat for 5mins, serve while hot with chili dipping sauce.