If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)

Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)


Just realized that month of October left few more days to go. I have made few other type of kuihs, need to quickly post before Aspiring Baker#12: Traditional Kueh end. I have seen so many blogger friends did this Ondeh-Ondeh, this small ball with palm sugar seem is everyone's favourite. This is also one of my favourite kueh too.



Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)


Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)


You can add sweet potato to the dough, but this time i just add pandan (screwpine) juice to make the dough.

Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)


Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)


Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)



Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)


Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)250 g glutinous rice flour
30g tapioca flour
235 ml Pandan Juice (blend 20pcs of pandan with 250ml water)
100 g gula Melaka (Palm Sugar), finely chopped
100 g grated fresh coconut
1/4tsp fine salt

Method:

1. Combine the glutinous rice flour and tapioca flour in a mixing bowl, slowly add in pandan juice and knead till smooth.
2. Steam grated coconut with salt for about 3mins, set aside to cool.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil. Pinch a small piece of dough (10g each) and flatten lightly. Fill in palm sugar in the center and seal it and lightly roll them into a ball.
4. Cook the balls in the boiling water, when the rice balls float to the surface, continue to cook for another 1-2mins.
5. Remove them and coat with grated coconut.



Ondeh-Ondeh (glutinous rice ball with palm sugar)



Frankly, i still prefer to buy this from outside Malay stall, cheap and yummy, too much of time and effort to make this little balls at home.


I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.


37 comments:

Cheah said...

Hi, I'm the first to visit. So do I get some for tea? The little 'hillock' of ondeh2 looks so tempting!

Mel said...

Sonia, you have been very hardworking lately to make kuih this month! Your this Ondeh Ondeh looks real tempting! I guess this is everyone favourite and that's include me too! have a wonderful weekend!

bernice's kitchen said...

i like it ❤
wld like to have some for tea, hehehe ~~

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

this ondeh ondeh become so famous lately, our side here all crazy doing it, hahahaha!

kitchen flavours said...

Another delicious looking kuih! You could set up a stall selling all this yummies, and I would be the first one to queue! :)

Small Small Baker said...

Homemade ones always better! :)

Unknown said...

i always makan this ondeh2 at jusco-nyonyak,so expensive :)

Li Shuan said...

Sonia, pls reserve me some la..I am too lazy to make one biji one biji...Love it

hanushi said...

You are amazing... Your kuehs are all so fantastic! :)

Yati said...

sonia...ondeh2 u look very nice...rajin la...and your pulut inti also look nice and yummy...i think u such a unique girl, pandai masak kuih muih melayu...:)

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Sonia, this looks tempting!

lena said...

everybody's tempting me on their ondeh ondeh.. but i think i want to 'sow koong' already..just one or 2 more kuih posts coming..i think me too enough of eating kuih! haha!

Ana Regalado said...

Your kuihs looks fabulous and I'm dreaming about your glutinous rice w/ sweet coconut filling :D

Angie's Recipes said...

I had some made with pumpkin the other day too. Very delicious.

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Saw so many bloggers making ondeh ondeh, really tempting! Yours look very delicious as well!

Unknown said...

I plan to make ondeh ondeh also, intend to add in the purple sweet potato, wish me luck in finding the purple sweet potato from nearby market ^_^

ann low said...

Sonia, after finishing mine, I want to eat this too. Looks so pretty and delicious :)

Cooking Gallery said...

This is a true childhood favourite of mine! In Indonesian these little morsels are called 'Kelepon':).

divya said...

Hmm, looks so delicious and lovely colorful balls...

ahteekitchen said...

oo, I learnt something 2day... It's mixed with tapioca flour as well.. Noted..

温馨小屋 said...

你做的ondek-ondek卖相不会输给外面卖的啊~~看起来很美~~

WendyinKK said...

LOL... yeah, me too.
Too much effort right?

Quay Po Cooks said...

Sonia, next time make oneh oneh, give lah warning so I can drive to your house and beg for some. hehe...

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Have been planning to make these forever! Yours look perfect!

Anh said...

One of my favourite snacks! I have made them with dry coconut. Cannot compare to the fresh coconut ones!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Very interesting. I can't imagine the taste until I try this! Look delicious though...

Jade said...

Hungry hungry when i see this nice ondeh-ondeh. :)

Noob Cook said...

beautiful! u r really good!

Lori said...

These look so great! The glutinous rice flour may be hard to come by here. I might have to search it out online. Love your addition of pandan.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really miss having onde-onde!! Yours look amazing! I wish I could make it too.. I have all the ingredients except for the pandan juice... :(

Jade said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, i try it and i have successfully make it and share with my parents. :)

Unknown said...

Hai..the grated coconut have to steam ?

Unknown said...

Hi! For the pandan juice, do we need to make it the night before and take the greener portion? Or can we just blend and use?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Cherie L, don't need to keep overnight, unless you want to use concentrate juices.

Unknown said...

Yummy

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Carolyn. I have recently tried making this and the thing is, the sugar cubes within did not melt. Any idea how can I prevent this in the future ?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Carolyn, chopped gula melaka more finely and boil the ondeh-ondeh slightly longer.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin