If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ham Chim Peng (Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue 咸煎饼

Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼

When I made this Ham Chim Peng (is kind of Chinese doughnut) at home yesterday, I feel myself like 吃饱饭没事做 (Having nothing better to do after being fed), because I can easily find Ham Chim Peng in every morning wet market ^^....









Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼


Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼


One stone kill 2 birds, I use the same dough made into two flavours, one is my most favourite filling, glutinous rice and another is Nam Yue filling (red fermented bean curd)..

Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼


Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼


I were seen this recipe from Lily was adapted by My Kitchen Snippets, she was highly recommened this recipe. Yes, this recipe is really good, the taste is very close to what we buy from outside stall and still soft even i kept it overnight (this morning i just enjoy this with a cup of Kopi O, YUM YUM)

The dough is very sticky and need to prepare starter dough in advance which need to keep for 2 days but I only keep for 14hours, luckily the result still good.


Picnik collage



This is the cooked glutinous rice made into log..use a non-stick baking paper to handle will be more easy..

Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼



There is no way i can use a rolling pin to roll as the dough is very stickey, just use your hands to spread the dough will do..

Picnik collage


Nam Yue filling (red fermented bean curd)
Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼



I was so happy to see when the Ham Chim Peng first floated to the top..

Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼




Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue 咸煎饼
(recipe souce: adapted from Lily’s Wai Sek Hong with minor changes)


Ham Chim Peng dough
Starter dough
90 g all purpose flour
90 ml water
2 tsp vinegar


Ingredients
360 g bread flour
130 g sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp alkaline water
250 ml water
1/2 tsp instant yeast


Method:


1. Mix all the ingredients for the starter. Leave covered for 2 days ( I only kept for 14hrs under room temperature).
2. Mix all the ingredients with the starter which has been proved in a large mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix as the dough is very sticky.
3. Leave the dough covered with plastic wrap and let rest of 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, bring and fold the dough from the sides to the center of the mixing bowl and continue to do this until the dough is smooth. Rest 20 minutes again.
5. Repeat the folding and resting for another 3 more times (I only did 2 more times).
6. Rub some oil on the surface of dough, cover well with plastic wrap and leave to proof for 2 - 3 hours.


Ham Chim Peng with Nam Yue filling
*makes 20pcs


Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼Half portion of Ham Chim Peng dough


Filling
1/2 tsp Chinese five spices powder
1/2 tsp Nam Yue (red fermented bean curd)
1/2 tsp cooking oil
1/4 tsp salt
some white sesame seeds
Generous amount of all- purpose flour for dusting


Method
1. Spread a lot of flour before pouring dough on a worktop and coat both hands with flour.
2. Pat and spread the dough into a rectangle by hand. Spread filling on and roll up like a swiss roll.
3. Cut dough into pieces and pat and spread the cut out dough into a small thin round sheet and press some white sesame seeds.
4. Heat oil over medium low flame and deep fry the dough. When dough floats to the top, use the chopsticks to turn dough as frequently as possible. Turning the dough allows even puffness. Fry until dough is golden brown.
5. Drain oil on paper towels.


Ham Chim Peng with glutinous rice
*Makes 15pcs


Half portion of Ham Chim Peng dough


Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼1 cup glutinious rice (about 190g) – soaked for 4 hours and drained
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
120ml water


Generous amount of all- purpose flour for dusting


Method:


1. Put the soaked glutinous rice, sugar, salt and water in a steaming pan, steam over high heat for 30mins.
2. Remove and let cool slightly. While still warm, form into a log about 2” in diameter( using non-stick baking paper for easy handling).
3. Spread a lot of flour before pouring dough on a worktop and coat both hands with flour.
4. Pat and spread the Ham Chim Peng dough out into a rectangular by hands, same length of the glutinous rice log, the width should be just enough to wrap up the glutinous log. Pinch the edge of the dough tightly to seal.
5. Cut into 3/4 - 1 inch pieces and roll each piece out slightly and form them back into shape.
6. Dust away as much of flour as possible before deep frying.
7. Deep fry on medium heat and keep turning Ham Chim Peng for even browning.


Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼


Ham Chim Peng(Chinese Doughnut) with glutinous rice & Nam Yue咸煎饼


Thanks to Lily for kind sharing, this recipe is a keeper, next time i going to make with red bean filling..You may find many traditional kuih-muih recipes from Lily's blog.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

58 comments:

Suhaina said...

wow..never seen this here..looks fabulous..i love anything with glutinous rice..this is the extreme...i cannot stand any more...simply amazing..love to have a bite of it...will surely make it one day.

Belly Good Cooking said...

Wow, looks better than those selling outside. Yums..

Julie said...

Lovely filling with rice n yum yum.. Kudos to your effort!!

ICook4Fun said...

This look really great especially the one with pulut in the middle. Yes, this is a great recipe and the dough will puff up really nicely when fried. Do try putting the red bean paste the next time as they tasted even better :)

Anonymous said...

kow tow you!

Sem said...

this is great, nothing beats homemade.
Sem

mala said...

hi! my childhood favourite! my mom always buy these for breafast at Jelutong wet market. it has been so long since I last ate Ham Chim Peng.

Mel said...

Ha..ha...Sonia, you really make me laugh with your remarks on "吃饱饭没事做". Yeah, we can find this delicacy everywhere here but I really do envy that you can cook/bake almost everything! You are a good baker and your family is so bless to have you.

Mel said...

Oh, I loves that with glutinous rice filling. I really love this very much.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Oh I just love these very much Sonia but I find difficult to prepare them at home..lazy la:) Btw currently I'm living in India dear:D

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

i like the one with glutinous rice too!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh yum yum! With a cup of kopi and it's all gooood! Made the ham chee Peng before, super yum!

WendyinKK said...

No la, where got sek bau fan mou si jou,
Nothing better than homemade ones, those sold outside are fried in black oil.

YHL said...

Sonia,
吃饱没事做不正是莺莺美黛子一族的专利吗!

Little blue said...

Home made is more healthy, I haven't eat glutinous ham chim peng before very special!!

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Wow, they look fantastic! It made my mouth water :)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves this very much!!!

Unknown said...

They are incredible great! Especially when is just fried n serve warm. Yummy!

ann low said...

Sonia, you're quite right. For SAHM like us, always '吃饱没事做' and cook the best food for the family :))

Li Shuan said...

Sonia, I like hum chim peng very very much. Now I am thinking of yu tiao (油条)when I see the hum chim peng. How nice if we all live near by. We can exchange food every now and then hahaha..good idea good idea.

Li Shuan said...

By the way the hum chim peng you made look so good. I gave up when I read the recipe and need lots of time to prepare the starter.

yummylittlecooks said...

I like with the glutinous rice filling too.We can make yu tiao from this recipe, right?

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

太赞了这个
我先拿走两个:P

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, the Ham Chim Peng looks so yummy, I think you handled the dough very well too!

Lady G said...

I love ham chim peng <3

Unknown said...

I like the Nam Yue filling, the more the merrier ^_^

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Sonia, they look better than outside stall sell one. If I buy from outside I must close one eye because the oil used for frying is black in colour! I prefer sweet one with red bean filling ^.^

Min said...

I love to eat HCP! But I usually buy from outside, no energy to do my own lo...yours look yummy la!

ping said...

OMGoodness! I can't believe I haven't followed you earlier! You've some of the most delicious looking stuff I've seen and this, this is one of my most favorite local munchie. You're gonna see alot more of me :D

My Little Space said...

Sonia, the pictures look fantastic. Making me salivate immediately cause these are my favourites especially the glutinous rice one.
Thanks for sharing.
Kristy

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Yours look better than the one sold at the market near my place. Very pro.

~董夫人~ said...

Homemade is the best ...
Sonia... you are so great ...
Like! I am so hungry now...
wuwuwuwuuwu....

hanushi said...

I am impressed... This really looks yummy.... I want to have both for breakfast!! :)

Gloria Baker said...

These look delicious Sonia, gloria

Jane Chew said...

aiyoh! everytime come here also got haoliao one. This is one of our family's favourite. haha...ya, agreed! this is really a 吃饱饭没事做的job. You tempted me and i already placed order with Philip. Hope he can do this for me :)

lena said...

see lah, one day if i 吃饱饭没事做, i want to try too!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

The glutinous rice one is my favorite! But this is quite a lot of work, I don't think I will make this if I am living in M'sia. Good plus is the frying oil is fresh. :D

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

This Chinese doughnut is very similar to the one I recently had at a Chinese restaurant. It was one of their popular item and it only cost $3 something for 4 pieces. It was fluffy and it was really delicious. Unlike yours there was nothing in it but I can imagine how delicious these are already!

daphne said...

what patience to make these! two days!!! Now, I'm appreciating this when i buy in shops!

Lisa Ho said...

Ham Chim Peng... is calling out to me. Its the second post I came across this week... looks like I must try to make this soon.

Used to buy from OUG morning market every Sundays... so fresh and so yummmm

sean said...

我也要把它当作我的keeper.

大家“共用”
哈哈哈。。。。

cooking varieties (wan) said...

hi sonia, you are the expert and versatile chef on dessets/ kueh.
this looks soft and fluffy, yummy to eat hot for tea breaks in the office..for me it will be coffee :)

cooking varieties (wan) said...

hi suhana, that comment is from me cooking varieties, not komajubhd. i forgot to chanbe the url . please dont visit komaju ok, cos it is a company :) thanks..wan
your vanilla cake looks delicious. i like vanilla

cooking varieties (wan) said...

sorry sonia.... my browser gone ga ga these few days//

Indian Khana said...

I love this...looks so delish

Jes's Deli Corner said...

Wow..u and Wendy very good in all this baking/cooking..my favorite

Amelia said...

Sonia, I like your quote "吃饱饭没事做"
you're so cute. Anyway that's why we are here, hahaha but your HCP looks really good.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

The hongkees call this dish as 牛脷酥 . Surprisingly I'm able to find it at the dim sum restaurant and Vietnamese suburb! Apparently the vietnamese also like it very much! I feel like having it with a glass of chilled soy milk! Yummy!

tinyskillet said...

I have never had Ham Chim Peng before and it looks like I've been missing something really good! It's laways nice to make things at home even if you can easily get it elsewhere.

Hankerie said...

Remind me the sweet old time :) Nice one!!

The Sudden Cook said...

Wow! You can make these!! It's a real treat for us to have these. Every bite is like a flashback to our childhood!

Shu Han said...

Oddly, this was one of the childhood treats I didn't really try! Yours look delicious!!

Anonymous said...

u mentioned that the starter dough needs to be prove for 2 days. Is it in the fright or at room temp

Colin Woon said...

Yes, you can buy them from market easily but that won't beat the satisfaction of making this successfully! I miss ham chim peng!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Those are really amazing! They look perfect. It's nice getting them fresh out of the oil like that.

Steffie said...

Hi Sonia,

Is it possible to do it without alkaline water? thanks! :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Steffie, without alkaline you will not get the right texture ..

Mimi said...

I am looking for a recipe for Penang's "Hua Chee" which is normally sold together with cruellers/"Eu Char Koay" and "Ham Chim Peng". Anyone has this recipe?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin