Just realized that I have quite long did not post a simple Chinese dish. Today I would like to share this simple brinjal dish. I taken a similar brinjal dish in Xiamen China recently, the taste was forgetable. Even my kids don't like brinjal, also gave thumbs up to this dish, as they like the very flavour gravy from this dish, best to serve with a plate of steamed rice.
Before putting into oven
You can also choose to steam instead of bake ..
Special Baked Brinjal and Minced meat
(recipe souce: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
1 brinjal / eggplant, big
150g minced meat
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp Chinese rice wine
1tsp tapioca flour
100g prawns, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1tbsp oyster sauce
1tbsp light soy sauce
1/2tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp sugar or to taste
red chili, chopped
spring onion, chopped
1. Marinate minced meat with light soy sauce, wine, pepper and tapioca flour for 1hour.
2. Wash cleanly the brinjal and cut off the head. Deep fry in a wok with some oil till brown. Make few slices on the brinjal. Set aside.
3. In a wok, heat 3tbsp of cooking oil, sauté chopped garlic, add in prawns and meat, stir till color changed.
4. Add in water, bring to boil, then add in seasonings, thicken with tapioca starch and water, dish out.
5. Place the deep fried brinjal in a sheet of aluminium foil (fold the sides to look like a bowl) and pour in the meat mixture. Cover with another sheet of aluminium foil.
6. Bake at pre-heated oven at 200c for 45mins (depend on the size of brinjal, adjust accordingly).
7. Garnish with red chili and spring onion, serve hot with steamed white rice.