Macau was under Portuguese rule until 1999, then transferred to China. During our visit to Macau, we have a chance to taste Portuguese dishes or Fusion dish (Macanese and Cantonese) . The first time I cooked Macau food was Macanese Minchi 澳門式免治 , it was a good dish. This time, I got to know a new ingredient that widely use in Portuguese dishes i.e Bacalhau or salted cod fish or Chinese called as 马介休.
I bought this lucky symbol of Rooster of Barcelos or Cockerel ( good luck rooster) from the Macau trip.
This is canned Bacalhau .
Actually this dish is easy to make, just mix Bacalhau with mashed potatoes, then bake it.
Bacalhau com Natas (Salted Cod fish with Cream) 葡式马介休薯容
4 US Russet potatoes (~800g)1 canned of Bacalhau (salted cod fish)
1/2cup heavy cream
1tsp salt or taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese powder
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water till tendered. Mash the potatoes.
- Drain the salted cod fish from the can, break it up with a fork.
- Mix cod fish with mashed potatoes, add in cream, salt and black pepper till well combine.
- Transfer the mashed potato in a baking dish, sprinkle Parmesan cheese powder on top.
- Bake at preheated oven at 200C for 15mins, then grill till golden brown (10mins).
- Serve warm with other side dishes as per your preference.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover