If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, August 25, 2014

Red Wine Beef Stew 红酒炖牛肉

Usually during weekend, we either eating out or prepare some foods that don't need to use wok to stir fry or deep fry. Something like this red wine beef stew. Since the thyme plant that I bought is growing well, so is time to use it to make this beef stew . If you have time,  you can even bake a focaccia or baguette to go with this beef stew. But that day weather wasn't good to bake bread, so I just bought from a bakery shop nearby.


 




 
 

 
Two elder children got a chance to enjoy this beef stew with a glass of red wine except my little son ^_^
 


Red Wine Beef Stew 红酒炖牛肉 

 2tbsp olive oil 
 All-purpose flour, for dredging 
 500g boneless beef chuck, cut into 1inch pieces  ( I use Ribeye)
 Salt and freshly ground pepper   

 2tbsp unsalted butter 
 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice 
 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice 
 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice 
 Few potatoes (I use small white potatoes, halved)
 1tbsp tomato paste
 2 and 1/2cup beef stock or low-sodium broth ( I use store-bought organic vegetable stock) 
 1 cup red wine 
  4 thyme sprigs 
 ½ whole clove, smashed  
 2 bay leaf 
 Salt and sugar to taste 

Method

1. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Spread the flour in a shallow bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour; shake off any excess flour. Add half of the meat to the casserole and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes longer. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and floured meat, browning the meat over moderate heat. 

2. In the same pot, melt the butter and sauté the onion till aroma and browned. Add carrots, celery and potatoes and stir for a while.

3. Add the red wine and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the casserole. Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Add the browned meat and any accumulated juices along with the thyme, garlic and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat until the meat is fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours, and stirring from time to time.

4. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the thyme sprig and bay leaf. Serve the stew warm. 

Recipe reference: refer to here, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

21 comments:

Mel said...

I can say this is my favourite and comfort food. I love slow stewing beef in red wine and beef stock. Delicious and Im drooling looking at your beef stew....yum...yum...yum....

PH said...

Sonia, your beef stew is superb! Just looking at it, my stomach hungry liao hee..hee...

Veronica said...

Who can resist comfort food like this delicious beef stew. Especially on cold days.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Looks delicious. Love it with French loaf :)

QembarDelites said...

Just in time to drool over while waiting for dinner:D Looks yummy and quite easy to cook except no red wine :P Got to get a bottle to cook this soon!

ann low said...

I love beef stew too! Looks so yummy :)

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

看起来有餐馆的水准呢, 这道红酒炖牛肉好诱惑!

Small Kucing said...

yums....great for rainy days like these

mui mui said...

Hi ah Chi,
I love this kind of comfort food.
Dipping the bread in the gravy, yum and double yum :)
mui

mui mui said...

Hi ah Chi,
I love this kind of comfort food.
Dipping the bread in the gravy, yum and double yum :)
mui

Elin Chia said...

Whoa..Sonia..this is good. Can imagine how good it tastes :) beef stew in red wine...delicious !

月亮 said...

我想学好久了,谢谢分享

Copycake kitchen said...

Oooo!!!! Sonia i also want a glass of red wine to go with this yummy beef stew!!! :)

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I like beef stew very much! Too bad my husband and mil don't take beef due to religion.

Anonymous said...

I made this before & it can be quite bland without any kind of stock or MSG. Making stock from scratch take a long time. So, you are clever to use those boxed stock from the store. I saw western country chefs use boxed stocked very often on TV. Well, hope these stuff can be more common in our supermarkets.

redyoyo

Ana Regalado said...

I love beef stew but haven't made it with red wine yet :P I bet it tastes as good as it looks !

Unknown said...

Your blog made me want to try out all this wonderful dishes. I love asian cousine maybe because I visit it and can't get enough of it^^ Thanks to flysky.ro I will be going there again and I will delight myself with the food one more time:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, my eldest son had requested for a western dinner this Saturday so I will be cooking this beef stew and baking your Rosemary focaccia bread. I have a cast iron pot but have never used it so can you advise me if I have to "treat" it first before using and if yes, what am I supposed to do? Thanks!

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, my eldest son had requested for a western dinner this Saturday so I will be cooking this beef stew and baking your Rosemary focaccia bread. I have a cast iron pot but have never used it so can you advise me if I have to "treat" it first before using and if yes, what am I supposed to do? Thanks!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi Teo ai li, I didn't treat my cast iron pot earlier, after I treated my cast iron wok, then I think you should treat it like the way how I treated cast iron wok, with Chinese chives and oil.

plasterers bristol said...

Great recipe. Just can't beat this type of hearty food. Thanks for sharing.

Simon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin